• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Hawtin @ System

UR

TRIBE Member
Finally Richie returned with style.

I was impressed right off the bat when he started banging right from the first record instead of a very minimal approach.

He got the dance floor jumping, smoothed out in the middle and then punished for the last hour when my feet were screeming back.

New Era by the Hacker owned the dance floor tonight.

For some of you, you really missed out.
Yes, I could have done without system, benson & hedges, and a few meatballs.

But it was all made up for when I heard buildup on top of buildup - crowd went off like Speedy.

It was techno
UR

krzysztof

TRIBE Member
yeah, what can i say...it was soooo good...everybody was great...richie, shit man, great stuff, i'm half deaf now and my feet are killing me!!! thank you!!!
deko-ze, nicest guy ever, oh boy, pounding, when i left just past 7 am there was about 30 people still bouncing around, great tunes...
skipper, great to meet you!...hopefully i see you again soon, good techno!...finally meeting tribe people!!!
and kieron...i like you techno man!!!
thanks to greg gow for letting me enter dj booth with richie doing crazy shit right THERE (i have pictures!)!!!
and big thank you to www.bluebookings.com for vip pass!
i'm so happy (and tired, must sleep now!)...
:D

milkshake

TRIBE Member
In the last 10 years :eek: that was almost the best set I've heard him play...not necessarily technically, but as far as keeping me glued to the dance floor, track selection, flow, etc.

Not as fun a night as 393 King.

Not as overwhelming a set as the cornfield near Chatham.

Definitely not like any set I've heard him play before.

I slept until 1am and made a decision to jump in a taxi. I'd had mixed feelings about going, but I'm so glad I did.

ahhhh techno.

ps. glad I bought my ticket earlier in the day. when I got there they were charging 40 dollah. so tired but must go to work...

Skipper

TRIBE Member
I left around 3:30. Too many people...just TOO MANY PEOPLE. I don't recall system being that crowded, ever.

Richie however, was on. I only heard an hour and a bit, but fuck, I wish I didn't leave...but several other things were convincing me it was time to call it a night.

I woke up disappointed. I knew he was going to be rockin.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

d.code

TRIBE Member
I was going to go- but talking to some people out side of system I found out how packed it was and decided agaisnt it. I cant stand system when its packed to the tits- I cant breathe.

chipotle

Well-Known TRIBEr
it is with great sadness that I say that I missed hawtin... I was going to go at around 1:30 am but then my flu got worst and worst...the fact that I had been drinking for about 2 hrs. didn't help much either.. (not a good decision in anycase) but sometimes an exception has to be made in the name of socializing.

I am soo soooo soooooooooooooooooooooooo gutted for missing it.

:( :( :(

What time did he go until?
How was skippers set?
Did he play dark evil stuff off his album???

Last edited:

chipotle

Well-Known TRIBEr
everything fell apart at the last minute.. I had a german student crew coming that got too drunk and didn't want to go at the last minute.
.....so... anyone got pictures?

juice

TRIBE Member
I didn't go to System but his in store session at HMV was more than enough for me ... SO GOOD. He played far longer than I imagined he would, I had to leave early because of dinner reservations and it was hard to tear myself away. I can just imagine what System was like, the brief session at HMV was just about the best set I've ever heard from him.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
That HMV set was wonderful. I was so impressed. That guy knows what he's doing. He even played a few old skool sounds. I like the real sparse epic-y kinda stuff. Not too into stuff that gets too funky with him.

Totally read about the in-store thing two days ago and didn't write it down. Good thing we were at HMV at 6 pm by accident. Great to see so many music-lovers out. Things like this really emphasize the power of music and the music community. We are all fanboys at heart!

I'm so digging out all me olde Plastikman cds out.

Eclipze

TRIBE Member
i enjoyed most of the bass heavy beats hawtin was laying down, but near the end i was getting alittle bored.. but thats just my opinion though

Nub!

TRIBE Member
Great night out on the town if I do say so myself.
A lot of old faces showed up at system - that made my night all the sweeter.

Richie's set went down nicely. It was my first time seeing him in action and he did not disappoint. (The birthday shots might have helped the transition from a relaxed nub to a nub in full party mode) The crowd was a really good crowd, despite being hurting for space... no one seemed to be having a bad time from what I could tell.

lots of cute girls aboot too :D

newstyle666

TRIBE Member
Richie was just brilliant, what more to say. What I loved the most, was near the end of his set where he really was trying to get experimental. He kept suprising himself with crazy loops and beats [like 3/3 kickdrum triplets laid with a 4/4 loop overtop]. He would just laugh and look at his friend... did anyone notice that youngish looking boy who was watching him the whole time? I was wondering if maybe that was his brother or something.

Anyways fucking amazing. The vibe was great, and personally I love to see System packed... not much dancing space but it cleared out quite comfortably near the end so i still think the die-hards got room to do their thing.

The crowd was a nice mixture of mid 20's to early 30's oldskool "ravers" i guess, with all sorts of new and old partiers in between. Everyone was friendly and chill from what I saw.

WOW! Richie also kept bringing in little squalls of grinding bass here and there... so fuckin wikked... and though he didnt play any direct tracks off Closer from what I could tell, I did reconize elements of sounds from those tracks laid on top of new rythyms.

Shouts out to Christian, Wes, Tamara, Chrystal, Jess, Fiona, Brad, and all the other cool peeps i bumped into !

Graham

chipotle

Well-Known TRIBEr
I just looked at the pictures at the ryanparks website and it does look very crowded.. to the point that there isn't really any wicked looking pictures that capture the whole crowd... since .. there were so many of you packed in there last night.

geminigirl

TRIBE Member
I did not have fun at System last night at all. That is something I do not say too often. I was tired to begin with and in a pretty bitchy mood. So that was not a good way to start a night off. I arrived at 2am and payed 25bucks. That was a lot of money for one shitty hour. It was way too hot and I had such a hard time finding my friends. I couldn't even enjoy Richie, which sucks. I am glad lots of other people had fun. I guess I just should have stayed home...bah.

Hey Timmy Patrick...you weren't at our meeting spot ya ninny!:p
Terrawrist III, too bad we couldn't find each other.:( Would have liked to say hi.
Uncle Boobies, I hope you had a great Bday! I wish I could have hung out in the breaks room longer...but waaaaaay too hot!

*Maxine*

Skipper

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by tommysmalls
how was your set skipper!? :)
I think it went well! I'm a tough person to really say though, as opening time slots make me a bit nervous...I don't usually play slower, loungier music :)

I think it was recorded, actually

chipotle

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by Skipper
I think it went well! I'm a tough person to really say though, as opening time slots make me a bit nervous...I don't usually play slower, loungier music :)

I think it was recorded, actually
hey... my complements to you on the pictures that I just saw at the ryanparks website. I would post them but I am not allowed do to restrictions on his website.. (you used to be able to grab them and post them)... umm , anyways.. complements.. you look very good.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders