• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

hawtin last night (calgary)

anx

TRIBE Member
lets see here. not the best set i have heard him play thats for sure. not the worst. i got my 20 dollars worth.

hmmm

he just played on final scratch, no gimicks or dohickeys this time

he started off with house, pretty minimal house, and i took that opertunity to go and smoke weed in my friends car. came back and he brought up the pace with some good techno and minimal stuff. He didnt play any plastikman stuff off closer, which i am happy with cause i thought that album was pretty boring.

towards the end it got really hard (well by richie hawtin standards at least), it was fun, nothing special, nothing really crappy.

pretty mediocre to be honest. but i had fun.

hope you guys like him tonite. curious to hear how he does tonite.

sorry for the shitty review, i've only slept for an hour or so.
 

Skipper

TRIBE Member
Interesting.

He's playing 2-close tonight - but I don't know how long I'll make it. I am interested in hearing the reviews of people who stay to the end and can attest to how he progresses the set.
 

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Skipper
Interesting.

He's playing 2-close tonight - but I don't know how long I'll make it. I am interested in hearing the reviews of people who stay to the end and can attest to how he progresses the set.
I'll let you know;) ...nive to hear he dropped some minimal housey goodness...my mood today:)
 

newstyle666

TRIBE Member
well he tore System Soundbar apart last night... Might remain as my favourite set of 2004 so far... its gonna take a lot to top his performence
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by newstyle666
well he tore System Soundbar apart last night... Might remain as my favourite set of 2004 so far... its gonna take a lot to top his performence
you can quote me on this too...it was EASILY one of my favorite sets in the last several years PERIOD!

it seemed he was playing JUST for me...it was EXACTLY the set I was hoping from him to get through my richie blues :D...resembled a Dan Bell set in overdrive!!

brilliant!...sleep now...proper review to follow...not enough good things to say about last night's music:cool:
 

Skipper

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by terrawrist III
...not enough good things to say about last night's music:cool:
I agree too, from what I heard...

I wish I could have stayed, but I was NOT in the mood for that crowd last night. I was ready to poke someone's eye out with the heel of my boot.

Glad I heard Richie at HMV. That was pretty sweet.
 

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Skipper
I agree too, from what I heard...

I wish I could have stayed, but I was NOT in the mood for that crowd last night. I was ready to poke someone's eye out with the heel of my boot.

Glad I heard Richie at HMV. That was pretty sweet.
yeah I hear ya...but to be honest I was in the front the whole time(when I wasn't looking for people:( ) and Richie more than made up for lack of room,heat,elbows in the ribs etc....the irony is the front is the spot to dance!...people know your feelin' it like them and they give you a little room to bust out!...I'm still aching from last night's all out assault on the senses:D
 

newstyle666

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by terrawrist III
yeah I hear ya...but to be honest I was in the front the whole time(when I wasn't looking for people:( ) and Richie more than made up for lack of room,heat,elbows in the ribs etc....the irony is the front is the spot to dance!...people know your feelin' it like them and they give you a little room to bust out!...I'm still aching from last night's all out assault on the senses:D
haha so true. I dont mind when its packed either... people were respectful, gave u sum room... in my opinion a crowded/packed dancefloor ads to tha vibe.
 

Destro Sanchez

TRIBE Member
"Might remain as my favourite set of 2004 so far"


how many sets have you seen this year?

it's only 4 weeks into the new year, there's another 51 weeks left


:D


Destro
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

isoprax

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by Destro Sanchez
"Might remain as my favourite set of 2004 so far"


it's only 4 weeks into the new year, there's another 51 weeks left


math good not
 

Interchange

TRIBE Promoter
everytime richie comes people are like that was the best set yet..

and the people that did not go are like... shit why did i miss it.

whateva he will be back next month to play the best set ever
 

newstyle666

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Destro Sanchez
"Might remain as my favourite set of 2004 so far"


how many sets have you seen this year?

it's only 4 weeks into the new year, there's another 51 weeks left


:D


Destro
No you did not understand the context of my statement.

"Might remain as my favourite set of 2004 so far"

Meaning it was so good that it simply might remain as my favourite set of 2004 all year long.... i could of put the "so far" part in brackets to make it more clear I guess but honestly... who cares? lol. I think most people understood what i meant by it.

It IS possible that something could come along later in '04 and top Richie's set, but man the bar has been set pretty damn high :)

-Graham
 
Last edited:

UR

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by mrs peacock
everytime richie comes people are like that was the best set yet..

and the people that did not go are like... shit why did i miss it.

whateva he will be back next month to play the best set ever

I was not overly excited about his Roxy Blu gig.
However, this one was a set I've wanted to hear from him for years. He raised the bar on Friday, even the lighting set up had some play with his set. He pumped some great build-ups and had some great crunching bass that got me going.
So, I can truthfully say after seeing Hawtin well over a dozen time over many years and this one sticks out in the top half. Plus, the fact that Matthew was helping him pick tracks, far more records than usual, was great too.

Taken from the wise wisdom of oddmyth "people have opinions"
But, if you don't like System, crowds, b&h, and many other factors people always point out - the set was great in my opinion.

UR
* definately my favorite set of 2004 :p
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders
Top