• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

have you been to beantown?

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
hey all,

i'm looking for any kind of suggestions for things to do in boston.
i have my flight and my hotel, the hotel is righ smack in the theatre district so i shouldn't have any problem getting around.

i am looking for restaurant recommendations, sights, areas to check out, anything that you think would qualify as "not to be missed".

i will be there from thursday night to sunday afternoon.
hit me with your boston info.

thanks!

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Vote Quimby

TRIBE Member
Check out the old graveyards scattered around downtown. You can find some pretty famous headstones...Mother Goose, Sam Adams amongst others.

Be prepared for the city to shut down at 2am. Nothing is open past then.

Zorro

TRIBE Member
Don't go to Cheers it's overrated, over priced the line is long and it looks NOTHING like the bar on TV.

The Aquirium is VERY cool.
Lots of Historical spots to check out.
Fenway Park is the best place to watch a baseball game. However it's not that time yet.

Um the rail system is kind of confusing so try to stay above ground although don't take cabs because the traffic is horrendous.

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
any foods that i should try while i'm there?
i am leaning towards seafood (duh) but i seem to recall some kind of meat pie type thing that is native to boston (i went when i was about 11 so my memory is extremely spotty)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

tella

TRIBE Member
liz,

boston is my favourite city in the us. as far as nightlife goes, there isnt a whole lot to check out but there are sooooo many good restaurants and shops to check out. newbury st. is the place to be as far as shopping goes. it's a long street that starts off really posh (chanel stores and ish) and gets a lil more affordable once you reach massachusetts avenue. tons of record stores on the street, just keep your eyes peeled for them. i'm also obsessed with filene's basement. filene's is this huge department store in boston and the basement part is all the discounted stuff. there are soooooooo many good finds, some are obvious, others you hafta do a bit of digging. you're probably going to wish you brought a bigger suitcase!

as far as food goes, there are a ton of really good restaurants in the little italy part of boston. if you're feeling touristy, check out the union oysterhouse which is apparently america's oldest restaurant. it's right at faneuil hall and very hard to miss. if you're a sandwich person (i LOVE sandwiches), i had the greatest sandwich in the world at this lil place called the parish cafe on boylston st. (which runs parallel to newbury). it's a lil pricey but sooooo delish. if you like seafood, i highly recommend staying away from the red-lobster type seafood places (i.e legal seafoods) and check out this place called the barking crab. the atmosphere is very relaxed and you can get soooooooooo much seafood (i had a 1 1/4 pound lobster, mussels, shrimp, crab legs, corn on the cob and clam chowder for 25$ USD) for really cheap. the restaurant sits right on the charles river, has a beautiful view and is located at 88 Sleeper St. it's a lil grungy looking (picnic tables et all) but so worth it. if you like cambodian and or french food, there's this beautiful restaurant called the elephant walk. there are 2 locations, 1 in cambridge and another in brookline. it's a little elegant but the food is ridiuclously good. my final recommendation is this little mexican place called ana's taqueria. there are a couple of locations around boston, i went to the one on beacon st in brookline and they have the greatest burritos ever. mmmmmmmmmm.

my favourite museum in boston is the museum of fine arts. the building itself is GORGEOUS and there are a lot of great pieces featured as well. it's free on wednesday evenings (which doesnt help you much). i'm not to sure how much it is on other evenings. the holocaust memorial in faneuil hall is extremely moving. i cant remember if it's 3 or 4 large glass towers that stand in the middle of a park and there's an etch on the glass for every person killed in the holocaust. it's a very solemn thing to see but i highly recommend checking it out. i always love to walk around cambridge and go to harvard. there are a lot of cool cafes and shops in and around the area, and there are always the coolest street performers (opera singers, mimes etc.)

there are a few other places that i really recommend, i just cant remember what thy're called. i found this website to be very helpful tho:

http://boston.citysearch.com/

enjoy boston ms. bits! it's a beautiful city, full of history. traffic is a real bitch (because of the big dig) but it's gotten a lot better than it was a few years ago. have fun :)

Last edited:

poker face

TRIBE Member
Go to Cheers, the original location though. I really liked it even knowing that it was a tourist trap.

Also you can go to olde ironsides (u.s.s. constitution.) but warning there is heavy security that is kinda annoying.

The aquarium looks like it would be cool also.

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
nat, thank you so much! my boyfriend and i almost drooled all over my keyboard when we read your explanation of the barking crab! its definitely on the list!

as for sites, we have so far decided that we are definitely going to quincy market/faneuil hall, and the new england aquarium.

i'm not really that keen on checking out the art museums just because i recently went to a bunch of some of the world's best in london, UK and i don't really imagine boston being able to compare. also, i am really uninterested in the uber-american kind of stuff cuz it rubs me the wrong way, so i am skipping alot of those museums and whatnot.

as for the great Cheers debate, i made my dad take me there when i was 11 and even then i realized it was totally overrated.

poker face

TRIBE Member
quincy market/faneuil hall is a overrated shopping mall. And parking by there is crazy expensive.

I hope you are flying because it was a bitch to drive in that xity.

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
yes, we are flying into town, and our friend who lives in cambridge is coming to pick us up by car.

we are not renting a car while there though. i plan to do most of my sightseeing by foot or possibly the T.

Trillian

TRIBE Member
harvard

The Harvard Campus is absolutely breathtaking, and there are quite a few quaint shops in Cambridge.

chipotle

Well-Known TRIBEr
Re: harvard

with all the money and funding they get, it would be really bad if it didn't look like it has a lot of history.

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
well, since Good Will Hunting Harvard scenes were actually filmed on the U of T campus, i think i'll pass on that one!

this is a bump for the 9 to 5ers.