• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Have you been guilt tripped for NOT pirating?

Static EQ

TRIBE Member
Couple nights ago I was out drinking and this guy offered me some copies of software I really f***** want, I said no - I dont pirate software (except Microsoft).

Dude starts getting all offended! He says "Why not!" I explain why, and then he starts getting all sarcastic with me.
WTF!

Hes like... oooohhh well I cant afford all the software I use. I ask him what he has, and the guy has at least $4000 worth of pirated applications.

Dude, I cant afford the software you use either.

:mad:

On a pleasant side note. Cakewalk are offering me $400 off a copy of SONAR3 for being a registered customer.

NICE! ... take the good with the bad.. :)

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

physix

TRIBE Member
the one cool thing about buying software is
the discount on upgrades.... i've been a registered
customer with Sonic Foundry so long that when
they knew they were selling to Sony, they basically
gave me SF 7.0 before the sale. I'm sure they did
that to alot of folks.

I had been with them since SF 3.0....

i have mixed feelings about pirating.

on the one hand, at one point, all my software
was piratted... and i still have pirated Photoshop
and Flash and Director ....

but everything that i've liked (interface wise)
I've eventually bought... P5, ACID/SF, Reason,
and (unfortunately) Cubase...

i wish i would have bootlegged Cubase, first.

oh well....

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by physix

on the one hand, at one point, all my software
was pirated...

but everything that i've liked (interface wise)
I've eventually bought...

whirred.

that's how it should be done. there's no way people should fork out the amount of cash required for some of these programs if they've never even tried them... and yes, demos should suffice when demos are available, but often they're not, and even when they are, usually they don't have all the same features as the full versions.

some people just plain can't afford the software, in which case what's wrong with them just paying for it when they get the cash.

Syntax Error

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by Humanjava
Oh we going to hear one of your lame ass speaches again all mr high and mighty.

my computer access is sporadic right now so you'll be spared for now. i'm waiting until my ibook gets outta the shop to unleash the fucking fury.

hysterical

TRIBE Member
guy........i have soo much fucking pirated software it would make you sick.........i dont use all of it, but the stuff i use on a regular basis, i usually purchase..............i myself would like to try it out first( and no i dont like demos, i like to have all the features at my figure tips)
Plus, most companys put out there shit to get pirated for people to try, its almost like some wierd form of advertising.Havent you ever noticed you couldnt (if you look) find the most recent issue or version ?

Anywasy.......personally i dont care and i will continue to pirate software:D
So there!!!!!!

Static EQ

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Have you been guilt tripped for NOT pirating?

Originally posted by Syntax Error
gotta love selective morality.

Its not selective morality at all. Microsoft are forcing me to use their product through their illegal monopolization of the OS/Browser/Word Processor/Whatever else they choose market.

I am just refusing to pay them to screw me/us.

Cakewalk on the other hand, have earned my business.

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
a fool and his money are soon parted.

What is meant by this is that if you just buy software to be the so called good guy and do the right thing then you will only waste your money. Use the illegal stuff I say to learn and until you can afford it. Its better to learn something and stick to something that is right for you than to stick your head up your ass and claim to be all high and mighty. Personally I have used lots of software and hardware only to find what I really want and the money I save will go nice toward a either a pyramix system from merging audio or a prisim solution with protools. Either way I will give back start a label and maybe even sign a few artists who will get paid and not just dream about using good quality equipment/studios. Mean while many kids will have wasted their money on the so called right thing just to get bent over and screwed by the big industry of bullshit.

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Re: Have you been guilt tripped for NOT pirating?

Originally posted by Static EQ
Its not selective morality at all. Microsoft are forcing me to use their product through their illegal monopolization of the OS/Browser/Word Processor/Whatever else they choose market.

LINUX

hysterical

TRIBE Member
i also think, that if i start to make money off it, ill buy the software. But until then i dont think theres anything wrong with it.
Its only bad once you start to profit off someones loses.

:cool:

Syntax Error

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by hysterical
i also think, that if i start to make money off it, ill buy the software. But until then i dont think theres anything wrong with it.
Its only bad once you start to profit off someones loses.

:cool:

when is this magical point where you start making money? guitarists have to buy guitars before they sign a multi-million dollar record deal. if you're serious about something you're willing to invest your OWN money into it. like you said earlier, you don't even use half of the software you've pirated. when you pay for something you tend to have more respect for it.

i'm not suggesting people go out and purchase $5000 worth of software, that would be wasteful. do a little bit of research, and spend your money wisely. if you respect your art then you need to respect your tools. you are already profiting off someone else's losses since you are using software that you did nothing to earn. you are entitled to nothing.

i'm sick of this argument, it seems to happen every month now.

http://www.tribemagazine.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=44712&highlight=piracy

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Syntax Error
when is this magical point where you start making money?
>>That is different for different people and I don't think there is a magical answer.

when you pay for something you tend to have more respect for it.
>> I agree with that to.

if you respect your art then you need to respect your tools.
>> YUP!! and we know there are enough people out there who don't do that even if they buy the best gear. Most so called artists/dj's/producers have no meaning in anything they do....Just look around.

you are already profiting off someone else's losses since you are using software that you did nothing to earn. you are entitled to nothing.

>> Sure thing there, that is your opinion but mine is I don't owe any loyalty to anyone but the people I represent or myself. Not one of those guys would do shit to help you.

i'm sick of this argument, it seems to happen every month now.

http://www.tribemagazine.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=44712&highlight=piracy

As for the argument who the FU*K cares anymore. No matter what ppl will always do what they feel is right for themselves.

I respect both sides of the fence and can see both points of view. If this was an ideal world Comunisim would work to...
j/k

Static EQ

TRIBE Member
What is meant by this is that if you just buy software to be the so called good guy and do the right thing then you will only waste your money. Use the illegal stuff I say to learn and until you can afford it. Its better to learn something and stick to something that is right for you than to stick your head up your ass and claim to be all high and mighty. Personally I have used lots of software and hardware only to find what I really want and the money I save will go nice toward a either a pyramix system from merging audio or a prisim solution with protools. Either way I will give back start a label and maybe even sign a few artists who will get paid and not just dream about using good quality equipment/studios. Mean while many kids will have wasted their money on the so called right thing just to get bent over and screwed by the big industry of bullshit.

in summary:

1> Screw all the software companies that produced the software you learned on, and that helped you get to the professional level by only paying for your pro-tools system.

2> Screw all the kids who have wasted their money, supporting the companies that produced the software you learned on, by jumping past them on a free ticket. And thus becoming a cog in the 'big industry bullshit' you pretend to disassociate yourself with.

If thats your plan, then you should choose your platform now and only buy from 'that' company.

At least then when you do start making purchases, you can pay them back for all the shit you stole from them.

Lastly, as an anonymous user I care as little about my ethical rep on this board as I do about your 'high and mighty' comment. I simply know that how I spend my dollar is 1000X more important than how I spend my vote.

But if I have to spend my money to support your music career, than I have the right to call you on it.

Thief.

wayne bradbury

TRIBE Member
I have bought my share of software. I also give away copies to friends of mine who might need a program but can't afford it because they are in school or whatever at the moment.
I do think its alright to use pirated software and get comfortable and familiar with it before deciding to drop hundreds of dollars on any given software. I got a copy of Reason through a friend and ended up buying the retail version because I liked it so much.