1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Havana Cultura

Discussion in 'Roll Calls' started by tobywan, Aug 14, 2010.

1. tobywan

tobywan TRIBE Member

Thankfully circumstances have allowed me to be around Toronto for next weekend (except working full days on thurs and fri).

And of course the highlight of that being the gala event featuring Gilles Peterson & Roberto Fonseca at the Great Hall. Also lookin' forward to Sweaty Betty's Cuban BBQ (and cigar rolling!) on the Sunday.

Can't wait!

2. deevah

deevah TRIBE Member

so obviously in for GP & HC

Mtl show was awesome. Won't give any spoilers

Get your dancing shoes on folks!

3. octo

octo TRIBE Member

4. Big Cheese

Big Cheese TRIBE Member

hopefully i won't miss too many of the headliners as i'll be arriving fashionably late, but i'ma slither in and see what the brouhaha's all about.

p.s gilles new summer jazz mix podcast is smooth as fuck. backround patio reading material right thurr.

5. mrtunes

mrtunes TRIBE Member

What's the latest you can show up to this before it's not worth the trouble?

6. erika

erika TRIBE Member

c'mon - you can get out of the house before midnight, I know you can!
    Do it for me - I'll be at a yoga retreat, which is lovely, but missing this.

7. deevah

deevah TRIBE Member

They showed up just in time for the show in mtl. All was more than well (except for wanting to murdah a soundbwoy)

8. deevah

deevah TRIBE Member

yay! been a minute dood :)

2 words:
    Hook
    Key

9. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

In for this.

Anyone know how much it will be at the door/is it worth buying advanced tickets?

10. deevah

deevah TRIBE Member

i'd say 12-12:30

11. erika

erika TRIBE Member

teehee; but I want to go to my retreat :) check my fb pics from last time, you'll understand

12. Psyrel

Psyrel TRIBE Member

I believe I'll be checking this out!

13. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

This is gonna be wicked!

14. Aser

Aser TRIBE Member

anybody know what the slot times are, would like to go only if I can make it in time for the havana culture band portion. I don't think I'll get off till 11:30 the earliest, then have to bike it.

15. mrtunes

mrtunes TRIBE Member

thanks! I think I can get there for 12 but with the amount of demand for this I should get there earlier or buy a ticket.

Anything else good for this festival? Like food or something?

16. mrtunes

mrtunes TRIBE Member

Oh no! Tickets are sold out. Not sure if i even stand a chance of getting in.

17. tobywan

tobywan TRIBE Member

Gettin' 'er done nice and early, see y'all there baconpan

18. Aser

Aser TRIBE Member

doesn't look good for me, sans ticket. I haven't heard anything about door admission. If someone knows.....

19. Psyrel

Psyrel TRIBE Member

Don't have a ticket either but I'm going to try my luck at the door.

20. Psyrel

Psyrel TRIBE Member

No door sales. :(

21. mrtunes

mrtunes TRIBE Member

i guess i avoided disappointment as they say. am curious to see a review

22. tobywan

tobywan TRIBE Member

Tara n' Elliott, too bad you guys gave up as after a little patience (and a quick trip to the beaconsfield for a pint), me and my friend got in around 11:30.

Still reeling!

23. mrtunes

mrtunes TRIBE Member

i actually didn't even head down because i would've had to leave a good friend's birthday party with no assurance that i would even be getting in.

it's the nature of the gambling we do :)

24. KillaLadY

KillaLadY TRIBE Member

It was shit... Tried 4 venues and they were all just metrosexual bullshit - it was SO not Cuban AT ALL.
    Went to Julie's cuban, we reserved a table and we called an hour before and were told table is ready for us, outside on the patio.
    Went to the restaurant, no tables ready - we were placed inside, right by the kitchen - when we asked what happened, the guy simply said: you like this, fine, you don't, get out - we are too busy for whiners.

WHAT?

We went to another bar, we had to pay $30 to get in... A BAR?
    Very disappointed.

Last venue was cigar rolling - the cigars were pre-rolled?
    Bullshit festival.

25. tobywan

tobywan TRIBE Member

Well, you certainly knew when to hold 'em.