• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Has anyone surfed in Nova Scotia?

kyfe

TRIBE Member
I plan to in august, I'll be taking a course through Rossingol and I was wondering, will I need a dry suit or will a wetsuit be fine?

I plan on being there from aug 1-10, but I don't know how cold the water will be. If you've been let me know a little about what you thought.

Kyfe

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
Never been there but I would imagine the water to be cold even if it's the summer.

Surfing in Hawaii is fun though.

Pete

FC St. Pauli

TRIBE Member
The water *can*warm up a bit in the heighth of summer there along the coast. But it will vary year by year and always threatens to turn cold again in a hurry.

It will depend on conditions this summer. The Rossignol people will sort you out with all the info you need. You have chosen wisely.

If you've never been before, prepare to continually wonder why you ever came back once you leave. :)

(pic is me last week - not surfing)

Attachments

• fcsp.jpg
    fcsp.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 75

stargurl*

TRIBE Member
I love the maritimes!

I haven't been out east in years but I'm finally going back this summer. I'm excited.

Where in NS are you going to surf?

pauly j

TRIBE Member
me and my friends from acadia (about an hour from halifax in n.s.) spent some time in the water in late august and early september. while it wasn't tropical water by any stretch, it really wasn't that bad. you should have a pretty good time either way.

pauly j.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Skipper

TRIBE Member
I spent most of my summers as a kid on the beaches in N.S. and still go back there every year. Towards the end of the summer, the water heats up noticeably. Depending on the conditions on that partcicular day, you should be fine in a wetsuit.

Enjoy your trip! :)

kyfe

TRIBE Member
Thanks for the input, my family is actually from Cape Breton and I'm heading there for a family reunion with my g/f. I'm gonna make the trip to White Point in Liverpool cause I've always wanted to try surfing and haven't had the chance to anywhere else I've been. I expected the water to be cold but I was unsure just how cold it would be that time of year.

I've been to out east many times but haven't been home in about 10 years, I'm pretty excited. Some might think I'm crazy but I pushed back Amsterdam to vacation in Nova Scotia this summer, hey I got to see Grandma and Nova Scotia is one of the most beautiful places on earth ...

We also want to do some sight seeing ie. Cabot trail, Louisburg, Glace Bay mines,& Peggys Cove. If you have any other suggestions let me know, I want to visit a few places I haven't been before. Thanks for the input and if you have anything else to add it would be appreciated.

Kyfe

mcbee

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by kyfe
Nova Scotia is one of the most beautiful places on earth ...

agreed. went to university in Halifax for 4 years. sooo beautiful out east!

i was gonna suggest cape breton, but you're from there, so you know who beautiful it is!

halifax is damn fun in the summer too. spend some time in the city if you can....especially if the busker festival is on when you are there. good times.

:)sarah<---missing out east

kyfe

TRIBE Member
Since we have to go to Liverpool, I was thinking we'll speand the night in Halifax, since I would be spending 12 hours in the car driving there and back, I figured it would be nice to break it up..... are there any good clubs in Halifax preferably House and more upscale ?

Kyfe

mcbee

TRIBE Member
^^^when i lived there (93-97) i wasn't partying so i'm not familar with electronic clubs.

so i'm no help to ya!!
but all the local bars downtown, especially near the water are so fun. go in the afternoon, get drunk with locals, then go dancing.

oh sweet sweet halifax and being drunk in the day!!!:D

:)sarah

FC St. Pauli

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by kyfe
Since we have to go to Liverpool, I was thinking we'll speand the night in Halifax, since I would be spending 12 hours in the car driving there and back, I figured it would be nice to break it up..... are there any good clubs in Halifax preferably House and more upscale ?

Kyfe

Kyfe,

definately try The Khyber http://khyberarts.ns.ca/
so good (see the club section)

keep a tab on things via The Coast

http://www.thecoast.ns.ca/

their 'The Guide' section
http://www.thecoast.ns.ca/guide/index.html
has good listings: http://www.atlanticzone.ca/AZ/section/1,9452,'21-1',00.html

Once there, definately pick it up. Can I say I love The Coast - so much better than the flagging eye and Now in my opinion.

The Marquee is worth going to but it won't be house or electronica. Other places in the lsitings above will be worth going to. I've been away for years and I'm a bit out of it. Last week I was only in Hfx for a few days and spent the rest of the time in Chester, the south shore and a huge-ass road-trip through Cape Breton. So so worth it.

I miss the quiet and honesty of the place again already.

sentence

TRIBE Promoter
A wetsuit is no problem. I lived there for a summer a couple of years ago and we used to surf on Sunday's on pretty much no sleep. It is still cold though.

sentence

TRIBE Promoter
check out the Velvet Olive for a good venue. My friends throw parties there with dj's from all over. Last time I was there I think Gene Farris was tearing things up. (formerly known as the Market Street Jazz Cafe).

kyfe

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by sentence
check out the Velvet Olive for a good venue. My friends throw parties there with dj's from all over. Last time I was there I think Gene Farris was tearing things up. (formerly known as the Market Street Jazz Cafe).

Word thanks for the tip.... that sounds like my style..

Kyfe

mcbee

TRIBE Member
aha!
when i posted before, i couldn't remember the name of market street jazz cafe/velvet olive....

that place was opened by a friend of mine after we all graduated. he talked teh drunk talk all time about his 'big plans' to open his own bar...and he fucking did it. we were so happy to make a visit after we graduated and spend some time at his bar.

its a great place!

:)sarah

kyfe

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by joey
you'll totally want a dry suit
even more, you'll totally want to surf somewhere better

are you an educated surfer?
I know it's not Hawaii, but Nova Scotia has some of the best waves in North America and has become a hotspot for winter surfing.

I was talking with a friend yesterday who surfs religiously, he's been dying to go out there cause of what the surfers in Jersey have had to say about Nova Scotia...

Canada has lots to offer, just because you may not see it in a magazine doesn't mean it rots. Sure it's not Austrailia, but i'll get there too some day.

Kyfe

joey

TRIBE Member
dude people in jersey or whatever are wanting to go there just because it is close and not half way round the world know what i mean...

it's like people surrounding toronto want to go there just cause its decent and its close, but they would all rather go to NYC, or la or something..

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
I assume you're just starting so it doesn't really make much difference on where you surf as long as the surf is half decent. If it was me, I would choose to go south as oppose to going east.
Pete

kyfe

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by joey
dude people in jersey or whatever are wanting to go there just because it is close and not half way round the world know what i mean...

it's like people surrounding toronto want to go there just cause its decent and its close, but they would all rather go to NYC, or la or something..

Agreed, but I'm there anyway. There are other places I want to surf as well, Nova Scotia believe it or not was one of them. I'll let you know how it is, but for now here's an article.

http://aco.ca/extremesports/wintersurf.html

Kyfe