• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Has anyone seen "Everest"?

kerouacdude

TRIBE Member
It has no official relationship with the book, though of course if you read it, you know the characters and you can't really change history!

I liked it, saw it in 3D which enhanced 5-6 scenes. I do find it fascinating that it's important enough now to be a motion picture, back in the late 90s there was a TV movie. You've got people like Emily Watson, Keira Knightley and a couple guys in pretty small roles that could have easily been done by lesser knowns. Speaks to the scarcity of major studio films and roles I think.

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
Is that the movie where we are enthralled by the desperate stories of white people who paid for the privilege of resting their balls on a mountain? It reminds me of that story where those white people got tsunamied at their resort in Thailand.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

kerouacdude

TRIBE Member
Is that the movie where we are enthralled by the desperate stories of white people who paid for the privilege of resting their balls on a mountain? It reminds me of that story where those white people got tsunamied at their resort in Thailand.
Actually it's the story of Nepalese and Tibetans carrying large amounts of supplies for white people, fixing lines for white people, and in extreme cases, tying dying white people to themselves like they're 5-year-olds and carrying them down the mountain.
Fucking white people, always doing stuff.

Primavera

TRIBE Member
I saw it in IMAX 3D and I thought it was great.

Really tense, really exciting, kind of heartbreaking. Great casting.

I was a huge fan of Into Thin Air and although (as others pointed out) this film is not based on that book, still though having read the book twice I know the story pretty well, so it was great to see it played out on film and the effects and visuals were pretty incredible too.

Mountain climbing movies and stories are a niche genre I love and I've seen many of them and lots of documentaries and this one definitely had some of the best cinematic elements.

Worth seeing IMO and worth seeing on a big screen too. I'm not a big fan of 3D, usually avoid it if I can but the 3D in this added depth and didn't really detract my enjoyment of seeing it.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Illogistix

TRIBE Member
I watched it in IMAX 3D with my brother who spent a year in Nepal. We are into the outdoors and climbing, but we both think these "hero" climbs (K2, etc) are dumb as fuck. So many senseless deaths. Foreign people monetizing the mountain, it seems insane.

In any case, I liked the film. Acting was great (the actor guy who plays the lead is the CIA guy from the Bin Laden movie with the girl from The Help. He's great.). It's really well shot, great performances from the cast, the 3D Himalayas are a trip on the giant screen. The movie is quite tense - I got anxiety watching it, chest pains even, as you see the disaster unfold slowly and are helpless but to watch it all go awry. It's horrific in certain scenes.

I'd recommend it if you are the adventurous type and into the mountains, etc.