• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

has anyone else heard these expressions?

swilly

TRIBE Member
ok me and my roommate we actually get along but sometimes when i hear him say shit i am like WTF are you talking about. Like i know a lot of slang from around canada and the commonwealth and i have never heard anyone say that shit.

ok so here they are perhaps someone else can tell me where it comes from

1) smells like a yeti ( reference to big foot) meaning it smells bad in here. Never heard that one before
2) last night was a rock show. Meaning it was a good night out
3) i crushed that juice like nothing. Meaning he drank it fast

there are more that i cant think of...but WTF like i am usually pretty good with expressions but fucking hell i have never heard any of those expressions.

the only thing i can think of is that it is ethier a burlington or st catherines thing as that is where he went to school.

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

alcid

TRIBE Member
swilly said:
the only thing i can think of is that it is ethier a burlington or st catherines thing as that is where he went to school.
i grew up in burlilngton but i never heard any of those sayings.

kaniz

TRIBE Member
last night was a rock show. that sounds familiar, think I may of heard it from my sisters friends last time i was visiting in st. catharines

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

SellyCat

TRIBE Member
I've never heard of those ones before.

I've been hearing an expression used more often--don't know where it came from but I think it's a Sarnia/Windson/Detroi thing: "He lost his shit" meaning that he went bananas, or lost his tempter.

I heard one in London, England a few weeks ago: "Well, you've gone and made a pig's ear of that one, haven't you?" That was a British Airways check-in clerk. When I asked him about it, he said "It's a right old British saying, it is." Cute.

Last edited:

starr

TRIBE Member
SellyCat said:
I've been hearing an expression used more often--don't know where it came from but I think it's a Sarnia/Windson/Detroi thing: "He lost his shit" meaning that he went bananas, or lost his tempter.

i've used that expression....it's not that unique and been around for a long time

lucky1

TRIBE Member
the rock show one sounds skid-like, and the crushed the juice sounds hip hoppy, gotta love multiculturalism

swilly

TRIBE Member
kaniz said:
last night was a rock show. that sounds familiar, think I may of heard it from my sisters friends last time i was visiting in st. catharines
hahaahh so i was right then it is a small town thing

Boo

TRIBE Member
SellyCat said:
meaning that he went bananas

I heard one in London, England a few weeks ago: "Well, you've gone and made a pig's ear of that one, haven't you?" That was a British Airways check-in clerk. When I asked him about it, he said "It's a right old British saying, it is." Cute.

"going bananas" itself is an import from overseas

you think pigs ear is bad, you shoud hear cockney rhyming slang

a new popular one is "that guy is 50" - whiich means he is gay. How you ask??

50 = 50 cent
cent = rhymes with bent
bent = (not straight) gay
50 = gay

NemIsis

TRIBE Member
Partial to:

-What do you want? A scooby snack? (Takes on a whole new meaning today..):p

- And Bob's your uncle..
- It's half dozen of one, six of the other...

enjiro

TRIBE Member
I always heard that saying as

"It's six to one, half a dozen to another."

Which makes way more sense. :)

NemIsis

TRIBE Member
enjiro said:
I always heard that saying as

"It's six to one, half a dozen to another."

Which makes way more sense. :)

Probably..just the way my dad used to say it, and I picked it up..;)

Edit: Just googled it and it is "Six of one, half dozen of the other"..LOL.. It's like the telephone game..:)

Another couple from the past..
- Gag me with a spoon!
- Take off, eh??

SmoothOperator

TRIBE Member
A lot of people at my work have never heard of the phrase "droppin F-bombs".

Like...one day at work somebody said "fuck" at work, and I laughed and said... uh oh somebody's droppin f-bombs. Everyone was like...wtf, what does that mean?

I thought it was commonly used.