• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Has anyone been to Israel?

geminigirl

TRIBE Member
I work for a Rabbi caring for her newborn triplets. That's what I do for a living..I am a newborn to toddler multiple birth expert. I get offers all the time for paid holidays with the families I work for..but don't usually take them up on it. This family has asked me to go to Israel for a month or so in the summer. What I wanna know is..

Should I feel safe to go?(I am getting very mixed responses) It sounds like if we are not near the hotspots, we should be fine. Plus this Rabbi has been there many times. But I really need to know more of what to expect.

Is it beautiful there?

They have family there so I know we will be staying with them as well as some hotels or perhaps on a Kabutz. It's seems like an experience I shouldn't give up..but I am just a wee bit scared.

Any advice would be great.

Maxine
 

zoo

TRIBE Member
Does the beauty of the area really impact your decision enough for you to feel compelled to ask TRIBE?

Israel is probably one of the safest places to be in the world.
 

litespeed

Well-Known TRIBEr
despite the things you see on the news, your chances of getting killed there are probably about the same as what they are here.
 

junglisthead

TRIBE Member
my paranoia from reading terror websites, wants me to tell you to stay the hell away from israel right now

al zarqawi (al qaida from the land of two rivers)has turned his attention more towards israel instead of iraq, and not only do you have to worry about that, but also the rising tension between iran and israel, as israel would be the first country struck upon for revenge, if america( or israel) decides to go to war with iran

so i would say NO, as it isnt worth the risk, as israel is front and centre of the next wave of terror
 
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

geminigirl

TRIBE Member
ev said:
despite the things you see on the news, your chances of getting killed there are probably about the same as what they are here.
That's the kinda of info I am looking for. It's hard to have a real sense of somewhere you have never been.
 

geminigirl

TRIBE Member
junglisthead said:
my paranoia from reading terror websites, wants me to tell you to stay the hell away from israel right now

al zarqawi (al qaida from the land of two rivers)has turned his attention more towards israel instead of iraq, and not only do you have to worry about that, but also the rising tension between iran and israel, as israel would be the first country struck upon for revenge, if america( or israel) decides to go to war with iran

so i would say NO, as it isnt worth the risk, as israel is front and centre of the next wave of terror

See very mixed views on this..oi dont know what to think.
 

TaCk OnE?

TRIBE Member
zoo said:
Israel is probably one of the safest places to be in the world.

I wouldn't go that far.


but for the most part, the country is pretty secure, there are areas where there are quite high risks of getting yourself into trouble, but there are of course places like that in new york...

my sister went, and said it was a wonderful place, and she found it very interesting.

i don't know if I'd say that it was really extra beautiful scenery wise, however there is a rich sense of culture and history and I'm sure you'd find it quite an experience.

I'd say you'd be very safe, it's not like you're going to be along the strip at night or anything.....


I vote go....can't live your life in fear, god knows, you could be hit by a bus the day after you turn down the trip....
 

Vinyl Junkie

TRIBE Member
I wouldn't go to Israel if my trip was paid for and I was given a substantial spending allowance. First of all there will be increased hostility from the Palestinians toward Israel in the coming months now that Israel has decided to stop transfer payments to the Palestinian Authority, which means increased hardship and collective punishment for Palestinians. This in turn will lead to more hostile action on the part of Palestinian extremist groups; I.E more suicide bombings and other rocket attacks on Israeli settlements. Secondly why would you go to a country that has occupied land and murdered thousands of innocent people all because they believe that they have a right to land promised to them by GOD... which is all just Zionist rhetoric and nothing else. BOYCOTT Israel and do not go there unless you want to be indirectly responsible for murdering more innocent people by spending your money to help the economy of a racist state that believes in apartheid of people.

MY TWO CENTS ON WHY YOU SHOULD NOT VISIT ISRAEL.
 

litespeed

Well-Known TRIBEr
just remember... if you see someone on the same bus as you wearing a long and bulky coat... it's best to get off at the next stop.
 
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

litespeed

Well-Known TRIBEr
but seriously... i know enough people from isreal and it's not so bad from what they say. your chances of being murdered here are higher.
 

geminigirl

TRIBE Member
TaCk OnE? said:
I wouldn't go that far.


but for the most part, the country is pretty secure, there are areas where there are quite high risks of getting yourself into trouble, but there are of course places like that in new york...

my sister went, and said it was a wonderful place, and she found it very interesting.

i don't know if I'd say that it was really extra beautiful scenery wise, however there is a rich sense of culture and history and I'm sure you'd find it quite an experience.

I'd say you'd be very safe, it's not like you're going to be along the strip at night or anything.....


I vote go....can't live your life in fear, god knows, you could be hit by a bus the day after you turn down the trip....

Having the same bday as you..we think a lot alike. Good advice.

Ev..I will assure you I am not going to be riding on any buses.hehe:D
 

Gizmo

TRIBE Member
What city do they live in? Israel is a beautiful country. And there are lots of areas that aren't in the path of attacks. While attacks have occurred in areas like Gaza, the West Bank and occasionally Tel Aviv. Attacks in places like Haifa have been far less common.

Then it also depends on the Kibbutz location. The deeper in Israeli territory, the safer you should be.

One of my co-workers just returned after a 6 month sabbatical from a Kibbutz in Netantya. He went after his marriage. The guy has gained about 15 lbs, got a great tan, and said it was the most relaxing time of his life compared to the stress at work.

Whether or not you let political beliefs come into play concerning your trip, I think you should also clarify with the family what areas they will be in.
 

zoo

TRIBE Member
If there was a nuclear war with all countries on Earth participating, Israel would be the last one standing. They have the most advanced military capabilities, the most bleeding-edge research centres, and probably the best private health care in the world.

If you don't feel safe in Israel knowing that the entire western world's military capabilities are protecting you, you won't feel safe anywhere.
 
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Lovely N Amazin

TRIBE Member
geminigirl said:
Is it beautiful there?

Maxine
yes! my roommate has lived there and can't stop talking about it.

but do you really want to spend your first working holiday - going to the beach, hitting up clubs - with a rabbi and his family?
 

geminigirl

TRIBE Member
Gizmo said:
What city do they live in? Israel is a beautiful country. And there are lots of areas that aren't in the path of attacks. While attacks have occurred in areas like Gaza, the West Bank and occasionally Tel Aviv. Attacks in places like Haifa have been far less common.

Then it also depends on the Kibbutz location. The deeper in Israeli territory, the safer you should be.

One of my co-workers just returned after a 6 month sabbatical from a Kibbutz in Netantya. He went after his marriage. The guy has gained about 15 lbs, got a great tan, and said it was the most relaxing time of his life compared to the stress at work.

Whether or not you let political beliefs come into play concerning your trip, I think you should also clarify with the family what areas they will be in.
Thanks for your post. I am not sure just yet where we will be staying. All I know is that we will be visiting Jerusalem.
 

TaCk OnE?

TRIBE Member
tel aviv is supposed to have a really great night life as well...

don't know too much about jerusalem really, but I agree with Gizmo, probably a good idea to ask where about you'll be exactly....chances are if they have money you can even get a driver to take you places....but yah, I think you should go for sure.
 

PRIMAL

TRIBE Member
Maxine, if I were you I'd totally go. Why would you pass up a chance for a free trip?

If you don't feel safe, bring a gun.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

geminigirl

TRIBE Member
Lovely N Amazin said:
yes! my roommate has lived there and can't stop talking about it.

but do you really want to spend your first working holiday - going to the beach, hitting up clubs - with a rabbi and his family?

It's the Mom who is the Rabbi. The family is actually super cool. I have been partying for sooo many years...and it's not everyday that you get your trip paid for and also get paid to work. Also I am self employed, so I can take time off whenever I like..so that is not a problem. I can take time off when I get back if I want.

Sadly I have never been out of Canada and the US...so perhaps it would be pretty fun to for me to go.

I wish it was more like 2 weeks..and not a month. But I think it's negotiable since they can't go without me. If we do go that is one long plane ride...12 hours or something!
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders
Top