• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Harvey at Foundry

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
I can't believe there hasn't been a review yet?

Those that were there were treated to hours of disco bliss. I rolled in when Members Only were doing theit thing and there was already a little dance floor bustling. They were playing a range of house and disco including some shufflers and groovy acid numbers. Up next was Invisible City who played a range of their internationally curated records and got the place set up and primed to go off.

Once Harvey stepped up it was clear there was a master in control. The pacing. The mixing. The vibe. All were incredible.

He worked through classic disco sounds, cosmic grooves, space rock, garage, house and back again all with total control over the room. The crowd was amazing, full of familiar faces all getting down. The black curtains and disco balls rendered the room a backdrop for the music and vibe rather than the focal point it had been for Four Tet the week prior.

Over four hours Harvey worked it out, never venturing into cheese or indulgent obscurity and always restraining, waiting until it was just right to drop that drop that deeper bassline. It was a truly incredible evening, one of the best disco sets I've ever heard live and an absolutely indelible night on the dance floor.

In a word: MAGIC.

rulz

TRIBE Member
Good party? absolutely. Great music? Indeed. But i still left with a feeling that he played it rather safe.

Nesta

TRIBE Member
I can't believe there hasn't been a review yet?

Those that were there were treated to hours of disco bliss. I rolled in when Members Only were doing theit thing and there was already a little dance floor bustling. They were playing a range of house and disco including some shufflers and groovy acid numbers. Up next was Invisible City who played a range of their internationally curated records and got the place set up and primed to go off.

Once Harvey stepped up it was clear there was a master in control. The pacing. The mixing. The vibe. All were incredible.

He worked through classic disco sounds, cosmic grooves, space rock, garage, house and back again all with total control over the room. The crowd was amazing, full of familiar faces all getting down. The black curtains and disco balls rendered the room a backdrop for the music and vibe rather than the focal point it had been for Four Tet the week prior.

Over four hours Harvey worked it out, never venturing into cheese or indulgent obscurity and always restraining, waiting until it was just right to drop that drop that deeper bassline. It was a truly incredible evening, one of the best disco sets I've ever heard live and an absolutely indelible night on the dance floor.

In a word: MAGIC.
Nice review!!

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
Good party? absolutely. Great music? Indeed. But i still left with a feeling that he played it rather safe.
I agree. I would add that the volume was not where I felt comfortable, it was lacking (which I was expecting given the locations notorious history post 2007).

Still good to see a tonne of ppl for what was a heckuva booking.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
Do people on tribe party anymore? ;-)
i
Heh. I did see quite a few out over the past few Foundry nights. They're mostly inactive posters mind you.

As for those who thought Harvey played it safe, that might be the case, there were certainly no extreme digressions in tempo and genre, it was a smooth set with great pacing and flow, but it wasn't lacking for variety. Personally, I felt it in a big way.

veteze

TRIBE Promoter
i found it to be pretty yawntastical. but maybe that's because i don't like disco. although i did like the set that i heard him play in brooklyn last november... so who knows. maybe this city just blows for partying. 2am, no more drinks? gawd. so annoying. let me have a fucking beer for christ's sake!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

zoo

TRIBE Member
I wasn't there, but I feel like blabbing about Harvey and Foundry.

Harvey:

I'm sour on Harvey after he failed to show up for his DEMF gig. I got up early that day because he was scheduled for noon ..

... but I'm glad to hear he delivered on Saturday night. Exclaim! published a glowing review as well.

Efdemin + Cosmin TRG

I attended the Foundry event the night before Harvey, for Efdemin and Cosmin TRG. I only caught about an hour of their set, but it was awesome. I still believe that Efdemin / Cosmin are the highlight booking for the Foundry series: I think their techno is tops. Nautiluss played a fine set, and handed over a crowd of eager dancers to Efdemin. Opening the night was breakandenter resident Martin Fazekas, who is always solid, but I felt his set was exceptional on this particular night.

Foundry

I think this is the most interesting music project in Toronto. Yes, Bass Week is unfairly snubbed, and this summer will bring an onslaught of two and three day outdoor festivals which will dominate the city, but Foundry has done something unique: a winter festival flying a single brand banner over an entire month, bringing forward very different crowds and feelings to each night, held together with the the promise of consistency in quality and attention to detail in event curation and production. And it's as much about consistency in brand as it as about the physical venue itself. The festival brings us the concept of a "temporary night club" which (to me) brings forth a new sense of urgency and excitement; where the audience knows that the magic will expire very quickly, so we get moving while the moving's good. It's a short term summer fling in the dead of winter, in contrast to the one-night stand and long-term relationship that are rock concerts and night clubs.

Other

I can't believe that Foundry booked Shed as a club headliner. It's such a strange booking to me ... the guy will very likely show up and play very inaccessible music. I find the concept of a thousand nightclubbers scratching their heads at undanceable industrial techno amusing.

Last edited:

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
That's what many thought would happen with Andy Stott last year, but it proved to be a heady and fun dancefloor.

TRIBE Member
I am quite surprised that the crowd was so into it. All that 80s stuff in the beginning ( Frankie Goes To Hollywood !!) could clear the dance floor on other nights.

Destro Sanchez

TRIBE Member
Playing it safe for Toronto disco sets would be Kon at blkbox and Horse Meat Disco at wrong bar.

This was the perfect crowd reading. Not super obscure to lose people (ala Al Kent) but not all big disco hits (ala horse meat disco).

Sound was better than I thought it would be. Crowd was better than when I caught Bicep at foundry. And seeing all my friends at once gooooooo baaaaaaaaaang made it for me. My favourite dancers and party partners all round.

I don't get out to big parties anymore so this was a treat.

It's keeping my fire burning

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

malcolm33

TRIBE Member
Just have to add that I absolutely loved his set. Honestly, as I said that night, it made me realize how Frankie Knuckles (RIP) could make people on the dancefloor cry with emotion with his sets. Shame to hear that not everyone loved it, but it's one of the best sets I've heard (alongside an epic night at Tresor in 2007, and Adam X rocking some tiny sports bar in Detroit in 2011).

[YOUTUBE]7tBXFQ6m5jg[/YOUTUBE]

djsubrock

TRIBE Promoter
i opted for dj premier at wrongbar same night. legendary in my humble opinion. openers were weak. you already know what i think, just drop it - no warm up shit there are enough bangers to do this. it is not like 92 when there were only a few hardcore breakbeat records. patrons will get used to getting there before club opens. as was the case with this night at wrongbar, line up before doors open but opening dj still played pure filler in my opinion. sr

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

erika

TRIBE Member
It was a GREAT party. The vibe was fantastic, and yes, all the dancers were there. I have to admit that some of the start of the set made my ears bleed (someone referred to it as yoko Ono tribute dj set) but there was always somewhere to seek refuge from bleeding ear moments.
And most of it was just great fun; the decor totally complemented the party; the risers broke up the space just right.

Foundry is Very Cool. And managing to regroup and find a space last minute is completely admirable. I would just suggest that they do something simpler for series pass holders: having to get a wristband each Friday that you have to wear each weekend is a bit hokey.

Other than that, kudos all around - sorry I'm missing this week-end.