1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Harvest Festival 2010 - Thoroughly Harvested Once Again

Discussion in 'Event Reviews' started by glych t.anomaly, Sep 14, 2010.

1. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

every year i cannot believe just how consistently amazing Harvest is and how it keeps getting better and better.

it really speaks to the quality of the people that attend and make this festival possible, the volunteers, and the amazing host that allows us to use his property.

this year we opted to rent a 7 seater and party wagon it up via a convoy of a couple of vehicles, which was quite fun, and being this the fourth year at this location we tried ever so hard to leave and get up their earlier than our usual time of arrival, but invariably we always manage to arrive around 5pm every year !~ maybe next year :)

we quickly proceeded to grab our gear, and go head out, and make camp so that we could get settled, and then begin the random meandering journey of the night.

the weather on sat when we were setting up was actually gorgeous, and i do believe them moving the festival up a couple of weeks made a bit of a difference, not insane, but it was noticeable.

i have to say, i really enjoyed the art installations this year.

from the painting area in the forest by the forest stage, to the lit up glittering pyramid thing in front of the stage on the hill, the hammerhead sharks, the lasers that for most of the evening made me feel like i was watching the sky in the original tron movie, and the other display in the forest where it comes out near the hill into the big field, all were amazing.

and the music this year was amazing, i think i caught more sets this year, then i have in at least 3 years.

Jonah K, 2/3 of Noah Pred, Illiam.B.Gates, Some of Mike Gibbs, some Hali and Twonz( 5 hour set !!!!! insane), Thomas Williams and Rollin Cash !!!

Jonah's set was facking fantastic, starting off with some sweet dubstyles there was more people outside of the pyramid then there was inside !!!!! and it was packed ! about 30-40 mins into his set, he changed it up and went with some amazing DnB/Jungle completely complimentary and was just great since i havent heard him play anything like that since last halloween.

Noah's set was deep dark, dirty and had the tent going crazy, im so glad i caught his set this year, i havent danced to nearly enough techno lately.

I had originally planned to see the first 45 mins of dylans set, and then bounce over to catch the last half of KF's set, but i think this has been my favorite set of dylans @ harvest to date. more of a dj set, alot of his new releases, and the programming and flow kept me tethered to the pyramid, and i wasnt able to leave, but i at least have it on good authority that KF destroyed the tent, and cant wait to hear the set, from a little birdy that told me they recorded it!

i cant even begin to type out the adventures and random things that happened in between all the music, catch the last of Mike Gibbs set, and then then when Hali and Twonz went on bouncing back and forth between there and the pyramid, and the occasional trip to the tent to refuel and restock on consumables, and man, i have to say, between Thomas and Rollin, what amazing music to rock out to by the pyramid in the sun and mist of the midmorning.

probably one of the best, and most issue free harvest festivals to date for me, fuck i know i am forgetting shit, ill have to post it later.

To the entire Crew that worked so hard to make Harvest happen, thank you sooo much, i cannot even express with words what it means to have this year after year. to all my ffriends/crew, every year it keeps getting better and better.... <333

363 days till Harvest !!!!

peace out.

[Jai Bot]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  2. ghaleon

ghaleon TRIBE Member

epic epic epic

amazing music and vibes all night long. Crazy visuals, the whole thing was absolutely stellar

3. kaniz

kaniz TRIBE Member

4. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

I had a great time, and camping with a group of friends that totaled about 30 definitely helped. Music was "just ok" this year.

this went right over my head. was this ever explained? cuz i'm a little slow on the uptake i guess...lol

5. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Sal I heard you were there but never ran into ya..;)

Did meet Zoo briefly though - right at the start, and never saw him again!

6. Kinger

Kinger TRIBE Member

Judging by the pics it was an awesome crowd.

7. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

would have been fun ... and yeah dude that was a fun moment ;)

8. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

what was a fun moment - were you standing there with zoo??

9. glych t.anomaly

i was with you when you met Zoo !

did i meet toilet room and not know it !!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

[jai]

10. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

no no, meeting an ex-tribe-addict.

11. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

no no, meeting an ex-tribe-addict. and Glych, the day will come soon

12. glych t.anomaly

ok phew.

[jai]

13. Thrill_House

Thrill_House TRIBE Promoter

The special suprise that was brought in from california was the amazing laser and the guy who ran it.

14. Thrill_House

Thrill_House TRIBE Promoter

Well this was my first Harvest festival and I have to say I am throughly impressed! We arrived on Friday evening around 9pm and set up our camp, in the dark, and then headed over to where the multitude of camp fires were going on in the front of the property. It was awesome to just chill out on the first nite and chat with all the early birds around a roaring campfire, apprently there was an amazing bluegrass band that played as well but I must have missed it. The next morning we were greeted with beautiful sunshine and nice warm weather which continued throughout most of the day. I spent Saturday exploring the area checking out the amazing art installations and the amazing structures like the Pyramid that had been constructed for Harvest. Once it got dark on Saturday there was a huge influx of people showing up and thats when things really got going. I spent most of my nite on Sat in the Techno tent, all the DJ's played fantastic sets and Mike Gibbs and Hali were especially good, I managed to catch a good chunch of Hali's 6 hour set which was epic! I did spend some time wandering around between the Trance tent and the Pyramid which were also stellar. One of the highlights of the weekend for me was definatley that sweet laser show, I dont know how many people saw this but at one point they had it spelling out the words "Harvest Festival" in the sky which was fucking mind blowing! All in all great vibe, great people, amazing visuals and artwork and stellar music, my thanks goes out to all the helped to put together this amazing event, especially Justin and Dave and Iriving, thanks alot guys for making such a memorable amazing time. Cant wait till next year!

15. R4V4G3D_SKU11S

R4V4G3D_SKU11S TRIBE Member

<:{

16. tobywan

tobywan TRIBE Member

Again work impedes my harvest dream, maybe next year...

17. jeffpayne

jeffpayne TRIBE Member

Anyone get pics of the laser in action? That shit was insane!

18. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

you mean that crazy shit that pratically lit up the sky?? I thought aliens were invading. Holy fuck that was some business. Ya someone better have some pics goin on....!~

19. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

My bro and I went and visited - we wanted to see the source of the laser - and the dude took us through all the crap he could do: batsignal, xwings, tiefighters - from his perspective you could really see what the images were which was cool, cause in the festival it was just a bunch of green lines..;)

20. kaniz

kaniz TRIBE Member

Harvest was a blast this year. Some good, some bad - all pretty epic.

Arrived Friday Night at around 11:30pm or so. Our initial plan was to setup camp wherever, then relocate in the morning once the sun come up. But our crew didn't pack light, and the idea of tearing down and hauling our crap around again didn't seem all that appealing.

Didn't mind our camping spot - was far enough away from the party to get a 'breather' when you needed one, and we ended up setting up next to uber-campers who had bought in portable patio-heaters/etc, so we were able to cozy up to them and stay warm. On the other side of us, were guys who had a tank of Nitrous! Still, I think next year if I go up on the Friday, rather take the afternoon off work, get there early and pick out a choice location before the sun sets.

Friday night was pretty chill, few drinks, chatted until it got too cold to stay outside and bundled up for the night. Slept well enough until a scuffle outside of my tent woke me up. One guy was annoyed with his friends for being so loud and disruptive the night before, and they were getting into a yelling match about how rude it was to be so loud at night - yet they were waking up everyone in the area.

Took a trip into town during the day for a proper meal - went to the diner right by the bridge and the food was YUMMY. I had a massive plate of home fries, pancakes, bacon, etc - and snacked off of an ex-tribers plate of French Toast that was slathered in berries. Wandered around town for a bit, stopped into a really neat pagan-craft-shop type place that had a nice garden / art gallery in the back.

The weather on Saturday was perfect - I wish it had carried on into the night. Spent some time exploring the grounds, hanging out, chatting - kept wanting to sneak down to the stages area but was constantly turned away saying 'not yet'.

The circus this year was really well done - in the past years I never really stuck around to watch it and found it slightly annoying. This year I liked it, the acrobats, fire-spinners, etc all did a great job and I stuck around until the end of the show and really enjoyed it.

The setup for all the stages was really well done. I think in the end, I spent more time wandering around, exploring, walking from tent to tent than actually dancing so I can't comment too much on the music, but what I heard I was enjoying. The setup for the Psytrance tent was stellar - the giant heads were cool, and the projected visuals were trippy as hell. I found between the Techno tent and the Psytrance tent, I was enjoying the Psytrance tent much more, and when I was dancing - it was usually there.

I popped over to the Pyramid a few times and enjoyed the beats that were going on there. Although, in my intoxicated state I didn't trust the man-powered ferry at night, and totally forgot about the split in the path near the techno/psy area that would take you there, and every time I went to the Pyramid during the night, I took the most long-ass way around, going all the way down to the Psy tent, then through the forest and back up to the Pyramid. I felt like a fool once my vision returned, dawn broke and I saw the easier route I should have been taking.

I think at some point someone was leaking some Nitrous into the tent - a group of people with a tank were over on some couches on the other side. Now and then I'd glance over, they would be looking rather mischievous and suddenly everything inside of the pyramid would feel slightly slanted for a few seconds, and then resume normality (as normal as harvest can be)

The Barter Bar was funny - at one point I couldn't find my way back to my tent, I needed water so I had to barter for it. I ended up bartering a Balloon for water, and was forced to blow it up to show that it still worked :) but hey - it netted me water.

The art installations were all really cool. The painting area was neat to poke into now and then, and had some random kid come up to me looking all perplexed "I want to show you what I drew", he took me over to a section of squiggles, said in a very serious voice "I don't know where this came from, I don't know what it means" then walked away looking scared.

Another girl was curled up on the wall crying saying "this is bringing up stuff from my childhood!" as she was rather emotionally scrawling away.

Then there was also that blue-UV-light-brain-webbing thing that was neat to sit and chill out in now and then.

Sadly, the weather in the morning wasn't that great. Usually, my favorite part of Harvest is chilling outside by the Psytrance tent as the sun comes up, but soggy damp weather put a damper on that - and we were packed up and on the road by 1pm or so.

I think one thing I need to do next year, is put a bit more effort into making my camp cozy/navigable at night.

21. zoo

zoo TRIBE Member

I had fun.

People - The crowd was mad weird. Saw lots of old friends, which was great. I'm sure most people won't remember our conversations. :) I counted about 300+ cars, so I estimated around 1000 people (likely more). One of my friends dressed as a Wizard, that was funny. I overheard others having very serious discussions about their Burning Man fashion choices, and steam-punk fashion in general, which does seem very important when you're in a desert full of sand storms, fun fur, and naked people. In the morning a local troop of retired busy-body ladies were given a guided tour of the grounds, and to see what the commotion was all about; I like to think it was a rave safari.

Place - Pretty cool. Lots of hippie, rave, and random art. Lots of terrain to walk through and explore, as well as forests with branches and roots that became hazardous at night, and a treacherously muddy and slippery main pathway connecting all three stages. I didn't like how the venue felt far less remote as some of the previous locations - it felt like the town was next door (indeed, Burk's Falls was only a few KM away). Overall thought this is probably as close to perfect a venue as you can find for this kind of event. The barge was hillarious, although annoying at first (truly it seemed to be an insurmountable obstacle to access this 'island,' but we persevered). The fire was roaring all night and into the morning, BUT the very large crowd was condensed very tightly around it, making it seem like daunting task to push your way forward to get some heat. A wider rock circle surrounding the fire may be a good idea for subsequent events, so that we can all get in on the fire love.

Party - Martin Fazekas rocked it huge. He opened the tent at 9:20pm, and I couldn't imagine a better opening set to the party - the tent filled up within 10 minutes and the crowd was cheering and dancing like mad the whole set. Others I caught were: Michael Thompson playing a mix of downtempo classics (Thievery, Bomb The Bass, etc) and drum'n'bass; Jonah K who seems to have acquired quite the following with the 'new' scenesters (I count anyone that's been around these parties or this music for less than 5 years as new) bringing some much loved dubstep sounds, while doing donning his best outfit, hairstyle, and makeup to look like an extra from Water World (the crowd ate it up!); Dunklebunt absolutely murdered the dancefloor with a mixed set of balkan/gypsy, parisian, and other 'ethno' sounding breaks, house, and cocek bangers; ill gates brought his best synthy/bass glitch-hop foot forward, along with his trademark tim burton look (again, crowds love an entertainer!). I did not catch twonz, nor hali, but did see a bit of noah pred bringing the house down as he generally does wherever he plays. I would've liked to have seen Medicine Man as I'm a big fan of his ethno/dub style, and regret not being able to check out Ali Black's fantastic house stylings. There were also a few newcomers on the bill that I don't regret missing. Anway, I slept from 4-9am. Sleeping was awesome! In the morning I was woken up with neighbouring discussions of narcotics and "psy-trance" (aka techno) kick drums.

Price - $85 was pretty steep. Also isn't it silly to have everyone bring canned goods? Somebody now has to put an extra few hundred pounds of canned goods in their car to drive back to TO, making their drive far less fuel efficient, and costing them more in gas. Isn't $65/75/85 enough that you can find $2 in your profit margin for a canned good? They probably pulled in around $75,000 at minimum that night, bringing an extra canned good to be admitted just seemed ridiculous. As my partner in crime mentioned that night, even three-day used to be cheaper than this single night event!

Summary - Good times, would go again.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  22. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Ali Black was pretty f'in great - his track selection in the last 40 mins of his set was pretty much perfect!

23. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

whether you set the party up for 1 night, 2 or 3, it costs relatively the same. Hell even four nights. You gotta respect them putting this much effort into a one-night party! we're not talking about a concert with a hundred paid crew members! :D

24. orchid

orchid TRIBE Member

pretty sure the canned goods go to the burk's falls food bank.

25. zoo

zoo TRIBE Member

I couldn't disagree more.

Venue rental x 3
    Equipment (audio/generator/infrastructure) rentals x 3
    Fuel costs x 3
    Security fees x 3

The only things that don't increase in cost are (A) assets you own (B) setup/tear down. Like you said, there likely weren't very many paid people setting up and tearing down, so it couldn't have been that much of a factor in the overall cost. It definitely felt like the costs to throw that party were insignificant compared to the amount of revenue they brought in. I'd be surprised if they even paid booking fees for more than a handful of the performers.