• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Harper To Cease Interviews with National Media

Adam

TRIBE Member
http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2006/05/24/harper05242006.html
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060524.wmedia0524/BNStory/National/home
http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news/story.html?id=771cd3b4-acb1-4604-9ef8-5fcb07bd59e6&k=6986

Globe and Mail said:
OTTAWA — Stephen Harper says journalists on Parliament Hill are biased against his government so he'll be avoiding them.

The prime minister says the parliamentary press gallery seems to have decided to become the opposition to his Conservative administration.

He told a London, Ont., TV station on Wednesday that he is having problems with reporters in the capital that a Liberal prime minister would never face.

So Mr. Harper says he will take his message out on the road and deal with the less hostile local media.

"Unfortunately, the press gallery has taken the view they are going to be the opposition to the government," Mr. Harper told London's A-Channel.

~atp~

TRIBE Member
"Unfortunately, the press gallery has taken the view they are going to be the opposition to the government,"

I'm actually speechless.

Lurker

TRIBE Member
lol

This guy is awesome. I hope that the actual opposition parties jump all over this. This is part of being a public figure.

Adam

TRIBE Member
This dovetails nicely with the Conservatives first key priority of increased government accountability.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Na Na Hey Hey (Kiss Him Goodbye)
By: Steam
(Gary DeCarlo, Dale Frashuer and Paul Leka)

Na na na na, na na na na, hey hey hey, goodbye
He'll never love you, the way that I love you
'Cause if he did, no no, he wouldn't make you cry
He might be thrillin' baby but a-my love (my love, my love)
So dog-gone willin'
So kiss him (I wanna see you kiss him, wanna see you kiss him)
Go on and kiss him goodbye

Na na na na, hey hey-hey, goodbye
Listen to me now
He's never near you to comfort and cheer you
When all those sad tears are fallin' baby from your eyes
He might be thrillin' baby but a-my love (my love, my love)
So dog-gone willin'
So kiss him (I wanna see you kiss him. I wanna see you kiss him)
Go on and kiss him goodbye

Na-na na-na-na na na na na na na, hey hey hey, goodbye
Hey hey-hey, goodbye
Na na na na, na na na na, hey hey hey, goodbye [repeat many times and fade out]

(although I need him to hold a govenment togther until next spring to give the Liberals a chance to put something togther without Martin)

Colm

TRIBE Member
What's this?

An overwhelminnly socially and politically liberal media has pissed off a conservative politician? Most of those who voted the Conservative have a dislike for the MSM anyway, so I don't see this pissing off his support.

Who will win? Harper vs. The Press. A bigger showdown than Paul Martin vs. Ethics or Jean Chretien vs. Pronunciation.

SellyCat

TRIBE Member
~atp~ said:
"Unfortunately, the press gallery has taken the view they are going to be the opposition to the government,"

I'm actually speechless.
THAT'S AMAAAZING!

I'm somewhere between elated and furious--which somehow feels really neat!

What a massive peice of shit. THE MEDIA IS SUPPOSED TO BE CRITICAL! At least he's finally showing his true colors.

"Hi. My name is Stephen Harper. I'm DESPERATE to emulate the Geroge Bush neoconservative white-house. PLEASE take no notice of what I'm doing to your country. I'm a fucking asshole."

Last edited:

octo

TRIBE Member
this has been brewing for months

it boiled over yesterday when the press gallery boycotted harper's press conference.

the problem stems from the fact that harper wont take questions. he wants questioners to be preauthorized. so you have to sign up to get on a list and the press gallery has refused to sign up.

this is gonna blow up on harper. the canadian media wont be as eager to get whipped like the the americans

atbell

TRIBE Member
I just spoke with two people today who are really concerned about the conservative position. And not because of arguments with the media. Both of them mentioned how they felt the conservatives are in a BETTER position then since the election.

One of the worries that was brought up was that the Con's would call an election soon because of the possibility of getting a majority this time around in part due to the lack of Liberal leadership.

As for a hostile media in the event of an election... who is this media? Don't the conservatives control most of it all ready? When harper says "the media" is against me, doesn't he just mean the CBC and the globe and mail?

I'm of the oppinion that maybe harper should stop doing such stupid things and then maybe he would end up in a better place. You know, stop doing things like reading the post and thinking there is truth or integraty in it.

I wonder if there should be some kind of campaign law that forces politicians to disclose what they consider credible news sources. Maybe that way we would be less likely to have INTERNATIONAL INCIDENTS because our leader turns to a rag dresed up like a news paper with his morning coffee.

(no offence or anything ;))

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
How can Harper claim that the media is against him when at least 2 of Canada's major newspapers (the Globe and the Post, not to mention all of Can-West media) openly supported the Conservatives during the last election?

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
More of Harper acting like a spoiled brat.

"waaaah this wouldn't happen to the Liberals". Suck it up and be a PM who's not afraid of some questions you fucking pussy.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
I'm still trying to figure out the whole "they wouldn't do this to the liberals" idea. I seem to remember Martin and Chretien getting just skewered on a regular basis over just about everything.

I think that maybe Harper would like to make sure that CANWEST gets front and centre on the question period rather than anyone else.

Adam

TRIBE Member
The National played an clip last night of the press gallery's audible laughter interrupting the speech Martin gave when Stronach crossed the floor last year.

The fact that both the Liberals and Conservatives have complained about media bias should be an indication the media is doing something right.

judge wopner

TRIBE Member
Mr. harper mr. harper!!! Jim Stracken, Streetsville Booster Daily, do you feel your environmental policies are in the interests of our limited readership encompassing ward 6 mississuaga/credit valley west?

man_slut

TRIBE Member
From the Globe:

The prime minister does not want to hold press conferences unless his staff choose which journalists ask questions from a list they compile. The Ottawa press gallery has refused to play by those rules.

:confused:

Onthereals

TRIBE Member
It amazes me that the conservatives keep on getting more popular with the Canadian populace as they continue to show (or in this case, conceal) more of their agenda. Its like most Canadians really do want to be governed like Americans.

I think he might be using this as a ploy to continue to pretend there is a liberal bias in the press when if the last election is any example, it is overwhelmingly conservative. So while the canadian mainstream media can continue to endorse him, he can act like they arent trying to help him. It might turn out to be a win-win situation for him.

SellyCat

TRIBE Member
This is all so fucked up. Stephen Harper is such an animal.

What he doesn't realise is that the US Press WANTED to be whipped because of 9/11. They Rallied around their leader in a time of war. Harper has no such fucking excuse--now watch their be a "surprise" terrorist attack in Canada.

Furthermore, the Liberal government got fucking boiled alive by our media. Remember SARS and the Blackout? They got ruined in the media--I fully thought the media went TOO far with those. But that's good.

Harper is a liar when he says the media treats him differently. If he really beleives that, then it's because he knows what an asshole he is and that he deserves to be treated differently.

Also, Harper and Conservatives use Republican strategists and strategies to gain power. It's clear as day. Fabricating a "liberal media bias" is a classic tactic. And I'm certain they use extremey manipulative polling statistics to fabricate their strength in the polls.

They do this to intimidate the opposition. Of course Canadians don't want to be governed like Americans. But Harper IS an American

TrIbAlNuT

TRIBE Member
SellyCat said:
They do this to intimidate the opposition. Of course Canadians don't want to be governed like Americans. But Harper IS an American
which is becoming more apparent everyday. I saw him whining on some local TV station last night about this issue, it made me sick to my stomach. Not just because of what he was saying, but more because he sounded like some US press secretary.

Well in the US Fox has jumped in bed with the White House. I wonder which Canadian channel (global) will do the same with the Harper government.

Shug

TRIBE Member
Of course Canadians don't want to be governed like Americans.
Depressingly, I think I'm starting to disagree with your last statement. :( His popularity is growing, and the common public find his direct approach "refreshing". Regardless of the motive or outcome of the action in policy, all the plebs seem to care about is its execution.

Ugh. This does not bode well.

Maybe I should start looking into emmigration.... How's IT in places like Switzerland, Denmark, the Netherlands, etc?? Is it saturated?

SellyCat

TRIBE Member
Shug said:
How's IT in places like Switzerland, Denmark, the Netherlands, etc?? Is it saturated?
Yes, actually. Very. Maybe not the Netherlands, but I know those Skandinavian countries are really big on IT. Finland => Nokia.

Shug

TRIBE Member
Well, that doesn't help me, then... I went to college, not university, and I'm not that smart anyway. I need to go somewhere where my meager skills are actually worth something.

Maybe I'll become an "IT Guy Without Borders" and set up networks in mud huts in Zimbabwe or something.

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
Shug said:
Depressingly, I think I'm starting to disagree with your last statement. :( His popularity is growing, and the common public find his direct approach "refreshing". Regardless of the motive or outcome of the action in policy, all the plebs seem to care about is its execution.
Or maybe a lot of Canadians are sick and tired of people who constantly raise the spectre of "Americanism" to shut down debate on important issues and insult the intelligence of anybody who disagrees.

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
I guess his "directness" is what keeps him not wanting to talk to certain members of the media.

His novelty will wear off quickly.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Really bang for buck the USA is still the best environment for IT. Austrailia and New Zeeland are starting to pick up steam, the middle east gets people from India real cheap so wages are depressed.

Comparing similar job discriptions between Canada, USA, Netherlands, Britain, UAE I found that the US had the highest slaries followed by Britain then Canada, Netherlands and finally UAE.

Remember however that many northern european countries have no issues with racism, they believe in it.