• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Harper really doesn't want Khadr to come home

tobywan

TRIBE Member
This is a whole other discussion/argument if he's a white middle aged man.

But we shouldn't even be dicussing this in the first place, simply because Khadr was/is the only child soldier to ever be held for war crimes, under some bullshit international law the USA made up to serve their own purprose.

What the fuck was a 15 year old doing in GitMo? "MURICA FREEDOM!!!!

Mondieu

TRIBE Member
This is a whole other discussion/argument if he's a white middle aged man.

But we shouldn't even be dicussing this in the first place, simply because Khadr was/is the only child soldier to ever be held for war crimes, under some bullshit international law the USA made up to serve their own purprose.
Precisely why it needs to be discussed. The overwhelming uproar over this is gross. The rights and freedoms that people here take for granted are absolute, under the Charter. One set of rules for everyone.

Ask the loudest opponents of this decision how they feel about photo radar or digital surveillance (cell-phone, email, internet activity). Betcha they'll scream bloody murder about their Charter rights.

It's disgusting.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Mondieu

TRIBE Member
Just listened to an interview with a former British Guantanamo detainee. He was there at the same time as Khadr. He was singled out by a neighbour for the 5000 quid reward. He hasn't received an apology or settlement from his government. ...but even he agrees that Khadr should get the money.

The madness and inhumanity he described was beyond what I've heard or read before. Absolutely horrifying. ...and we're talking about a 15 year old kid who was taken to Afghanistan when he was 8 years old. 8 fucking years old. ...and. Canadian, just like you and I. Blame his parents, sure. They ARE to blame for taking him there and fostering his behaviour. That's not the point. It's no part of the issue. Neither is the widowed wife of the soldier.

This settlement is a result of the GOC's unwillingness to uphold our Constitution. Our government broke the law. Horrible circumstance. Nasty outcome for tax-payers. ...but if you don't get it, you're either a savage, selfish cunt or an ignorant sack of shit.

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
Just listened to an interview with a former British Guantanamo detainee. He was there at the same time as Khadr. He was singled out by a neighbour for the 5000 quid reward. He hasn't received an apology or settlement from his government. ...but even he agrees that Khadr should get the money.

The madness and inhumanity he described was beyond what I've heard or read before. Absolutely horrifying. ...and we're talking about a 15 year old kid who was taken to Afghanistan when he was 8 years old. 8 fucking years old. ...and. Canadian, just like you and I. Blame his parents, sure. They ARE to blame for taking him there and fostering his behaviour. That's not the point. It's no part of the issue. Neither is the widowed wife of the soldier.

This settlement is a result of the GOC's unwillingness to uphold our Constitution. Our government broke the law. Horrible circumstance. Nasty outcome for tax-payers. ...but if you don't get it, you're either a savage, selfish cunt or an ignorant sack of shit.
Ya, but, like, he's done other stuff that I am unable to view separately in my mind, bro. Therefore, He deserved to be tortured, because I can't fathom how his charter rights going unsupported could be extended to other citizens of great soviet canuckistan.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Wait Bernnie though - the media and politicians told me Khadr is really really bad and I should be outraged - so like, shouldn't I???

SHOULDN'T I BE FUCKING LIVID??

becausesecretlyIreallyjustlovebeingupsetallthetime

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

Mondieu

TRIBE Member
Shit. If I'd known all it took to get 10 million from the government was being taken to a foreign land at 8 years old, being seasoned to fight with militants and spending 10 years being tortured at GitMo resort, I'd have signed up long ago.

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
Khadr lawyer argues against request for payout freeze

Earlier this week, the lawyer for the widow of a U.S. soldier allegedly killed by a 15-year-old Omar Khadr presented a case for freezing the $10.5-million settlement paid out to the former child soldier. Yesterday, a lawyer for Mr. Khadr responded, arguing the requested freeze order should be turned down. Both sides will get to make their case today in a Toronto courtroom.

Lawyer Nathan Whitling says the requested freeze should be turned down because the case against Mr. Khadr relies on his flawed convictions by a U.S. military commission at Guantanamo Bay, where Canada’s Supreme Court has ruled he faced abuse that contravened his Charter rights. According to Mr. Whitling, the plaintiffs have provided little evidence to show there is a “real risk” Mr. Khadr intends to move or hide his assets – something they must demonstrate to win such a freeze order.

In 2015, the plaintiffs won a U.S. court judgement that declared Mr. Khadr owes $134-million (U.S.) for his alleged actions in Afghanistan. Securing a freeze would be the first step toward trying to get some of Mr. Khadr’s assets.

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
The worst bit is that it isn't even clear that he's guilty. Because his guilt is irrelevant to the government's liability in the case most discussion about Khadr just assumes the worst.
The contemporaneous evidence (given by the soldiers who were there at the time) says that the dude who threw the grenade was not Khadr. The only evidence that actually implicates him comes from documents drawn up long after the event, along with Khadr's confession. Given that his confession was obtained when he was 16, under conditions that amount to torture, the case for saying he actually killed the medic is actually pretty weak.
To put it in perspective, if you watched Making a Murderer and were aghast at the way they extracted Brendan Dassey's confession, I'm not sure how you could accept Khadr's confession as probative evidence given that it was obtained under circumstances that were 1000x worse.

praktik

TRIBE Member
But I thought people being tortured always told the truth??

Isn't that why you do it?

Kings did it so people would believe their propaganda, plus ça change:

[The king] decreed that Mithridates should be put to death in boats; which execution is after the following manner: Taking two boats framed exactly to fit and answer each other, they lay down in one of them the malefactor that suffers, upon his back; then, covering it with the other, and so setting them together that the head, hands, and feet of him are left outside, and the rest of his body lies shut up within, they offer him food, and if he refuse to eat it, they force him to do it by pricking his eyes; then, after he has eaten, they drench him with a mixture of milk and honey, pouring it not only into his mouth, but all over his face. They then keep his face continually turned towards the sun; and it becomes completely covered up and hidden by the multitude of flies that settle on it. And as within the boats he does what those that eat and drink must needs do, creeping things and vermin spring out of the corruption and rottenness of the excrement, and these entering into the bowels of him, his body is consumed. When the man is manifestly dead, the uppermost boat being taken off, they find his flesh devoured, and swarms of such noisome creatures preying upon and, as it were, growing to his inwards. In this way Mithridates, after suffering for seventeen days, at last expired.

All this because Mithridates got drunk and revealed his was the killing blow of the rebel King killed in battle, not actually killed by Artaxerxes II, as they were telling everyone after the battle. He punched a hole in the propaganda of State.

Torture has been used almost exclusively to support state lies, when applied by the powers of state. Torture is not used to reveal truth. Never has been.

It can be used to create people to support your lies, or as an example to others if your lies are exposed by someone brave enough to fight you - as a punishment.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

kyfe

TRIBE Member
The worst bit is that it isn't even clear that he's guilty. Because his guilt is irrelevant to the government's liability in the case most discussion about Khadr just assumes the worst.
The contemporaneous evidence (given by the soldiers who were there at the time) says that the dude who threw the grenade was not Khadr. The only evidence that actually implicates him comes from documents drawn up long after the event, along with Khadr's confession. Given that his confession was obtained when he was 16, under conditions that amount to torture, the case for saying he actually killed the medic is actually pretty weak.
To put it in perspective, if you watched Making a Murderer and were aghast at the way they extracted Brendan Dassey's confession, I'm not sure how you could accept Khadr's confession as probative evidence given that it was obtained under circumstances that were 1000x worse.

It's sad that people can sympathize with TV more than they can with real life. Although MAM is real, the sympathy comes from this series rather than an organic public outcry

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders