• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Hard Disk Drive question

Tearer

TRIBE Member
The circuit boards on my two hard drives were fried in a power surge and the only way I can recover my data is by replacing the printed circuit boards on both.

The problem is that I have no idea where to find matching PCBs.

One is a 2001 Western Digital 30 GB drive and the other a 1999 Fujitsu 10 GB drive.

I took them into Canada Computer Repairs, they diagnosed the problem, charged me $50 and told me I have to find the boards somewhere as they didn't have them.

Any ideas as to where to find them or, does anyone know if a related hard drive from the same manufacturer would have a swappable circuit board?

Thanks for any help.

Astroboy

TRIBE Member
try doing a websearch, or even an ebay search for the specific model #'s you're looking for...at least then, perhaps you can have an idea where to find some drives to use for parts.
it's unlikely that a different board would work, but I am only speculating...

Tearer

TRIBE Member
Thanks Robb...I just found the older one on eBay...I'm gonna bid for it and then play computer Frankenstein. :)

Astroboy

TRIBE Member
nice, it shouldn't be too hard to find the WD kicking around the city somewhere...it's not that old.
I will ask around, shoot me the model number.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

deep

TRIBE Member
I've never heard of anyone resurrecting a drive this way, I'd be careful if I were you, or consider giving the drive to a data recovery place instead of getting advice from CC's repairs department. Data recovery places are the joints that businesses go to when they need mission critical data saved, so they'll mos def give you a straight answer.

Mike Richards

TRIBE Member
Yeah replaing a board is like repairing a gasket in your car. I side with Deep on this one... go see a data recovery service place!

Dr. Grinch

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by deep
I've never heard of anyone resurrecting a drive this way, I'd be careful if I were you, or consider giving the drive to a data recovery place instead of getting advice from CC's repairs department. Data recovery places are the joints that businesses go to when they need mission critical data saved, so they'll mos def give you a straight answer.
Do you know what these people charge?

I deal with them probably once a month and I've NEVER seen a bill less than $1500 for a simple drive recovery.
I can only imagine what they would charge if it was a complex recovery like a full disk array going down.

deep

TRIBE Member
I had a drive recovered for 250 bucks at CBL technologies in Markham. Dealt with the owner, was very helpful, gave me a break because I am a student. They even replaced the drive for free for me because they could use the fucked up one for parts.

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by Mike Richards
Yeah replaing a board is like repairing a gasket in your car.
Not quite. The board is external to all the moving parts, and you merely have to remove some screws, unplug it, and put a new one on.

Actually, yeah, it's kind of like replacing the valve cover gasket.

Tearer

TRIBE Member
heh. ^

Well, my 10 gig is more expendable...it just has the OS and some personal files on it, so I'll fuck around with it. The 30 gig is the one I would take to the data recovery peeps.

I'm bidding on the same drive on ebay now...

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Yeah, just don't take advice from who think that putting a motherboard into a case and adding a fan and a light made them into experts.

Dr. Grinch

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by deep
I had a drive recovered for 250 bucks at CBL technologies in Markham. Dealt with the owner, was very helpful, gave me a break because I am a student. They even replaced the drive for free for me because they could use the fucked up one for parts.
Thats a smoking deal. CBL is who I deal with usually, and like I said, $1500 is the average bill I see for a basic disk.

That being said, those guys do incredible work, and are very professional.