• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Happy Djurdjevdan / George-Day / Ederlezi (Sat May 6)

zoo

TRIBE Member
I'm a little late, but it's because I've been partying too hard this weekend.

Happy George-Day or Djurdjevdan or Ederlezi and the coming of spring to all my FYR friends.

Here's a video of the song by Bijelo Dugme.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8JBKdpWQDc#GU5U2spHI_4

We went to visit my Grandfather (named George of course) on Saturday, had some 1974 Canadian Club, and listened to stories about how he used to travel to all the neighbouring villages on horseback (he was telling us about how well-travelled he is, lollerskates), and about fishing trips he and his buddies used to go on in Northern Ontario.

Hurray

Djurdjevdan_3_cut.jpg

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

zoo

TRIBE Member
Đurđevdan (Serbian: Ђурђевдан) is a Serbian religious holiday, celebrated on April 23 by the Julian calendar, or May 6 by Gregorian calendar, which is the feast of Saint George. He is one of the most important Christian saint in Orthodox churches. This holiday is attached to beginning of spring. Christian mythology holds that St. George was a martyr who died for his faith. On icons, he is usually depicted as a man riding a horse and killing a dragon. In Serbian St. George is called Sveti Djordje.

Đurđevdan is also a major holiday for Roma from former Yugoslavia, whether Orthodox or Muslim. Ederlezi in Romany language, this holiday celebrates the return of springtime.

"Ðurđevdan" is also the name of a popular song by band Bijelo Dugme. The song is originally found on their studio album Ćiribiribela from 1988.

--------

St. George's Day in Bulgaria

Possibly the most celebrated namesday in the country, St George's Day (Гергьовден, Gergyovden) is a public holiday that takes place on 6 May every year. A common ritual is to prepare a whole lamb and eat mutton, which is an ancient practice possibly related to Slavic pagan sacrificial traditions.

---------------

St. George's Day in Serbia

In Serbia St. George's Day is called Đurđevdan (Serbian: Ђурђевдан) and is celebrated on 6 May every year, according to the Julian Calendar. Đurđevdan is celebrated by Serbs not only in Serbia, but also in Republika Srpska and Montenegro. Đurđevdan is celebrated, especially, in the areas of Raska and Kosovo and Metohija in Serbia.

-----------

My family celebrates Гергьовден (George-Day) but it's all the same idea with different names.