• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

handypeople: how to stop ductwork from clicking

vinder

TRIBE Member
alright handy men and women, here's the deal: i have exposed ductwork and whenever the heat comes on, the vents at the end of the ductwork start making clicking sounds. i'm a light sleeper, so these sounds tend to wake me up rather easily.

i realize that the clicking is due to expansion in the metal, but i can't figure out whether something is screwed in too tight, nor can i pinpoint the exact location (cause it's about 6-7 feet above my head).

anyone know how to fix this? better yet, who wants to fix it for me ;)
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

vinder

TRIBE Member
Lurker said:
Maybe wrap it with some kind of insulation like gets used for water pipes?
i would, but the cracking sound is coming from near the vent, not the tube that's feeding it
 

vinder

TRIBE Member
Michlerish said:
turn the heat on earlier?
or just turn it off while you're sleeping?
i've had to resort to turning it off mid morning when it turns on (4-6am), maybe i should just turn it off before i go to bed. i just hate waking up, taking off the covers and freezing my ass off for the next 30 mins till myplace warms up.
 

praktik

TRIBE Member
shit man - mine clics ALL the time too - but only when heat is going... mine s _kinda_ exposed but covered in drywall or someshit so you can't access it - it pissed the hell out of me for the first few months but some how I got used to it, and Im a light sleeper as well - if your shit gets fixed PM me though!
 

Michlerish

Well-Known TRIBEr
yeah, but it will save you on your electricity bill (if you have to pay that).

If it's a smaller vent, and assuming the air comes out of more than just one spot, can you cover up the one near your bed with a buffer? I'm thinking, a board wrapped in foam, covered in a fabric that matches your room... attach it to the wall on hiden hinges so that you can open the vent when you're awake.

TO make it look less functional, you could sew a picture on to the fabric on both sides... so that it just looks like art whether closed or open.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

praktik

TRIBE Member
^^ those are awkward to sleep with.... I've tried..;)

But they are great for heading out to events!
 

Michlerish

Well-Known TRIBEr
found something:

Air ducts present a special problem. You don't want to cover them up (even keyboard players have to breathe), but they are a veritable freeway for sound. To soundproof air vents build a baffle as illustrated in figure 4. Start with a rectangule of 3/8 in plywood as large as you can fit into the space. Cut a series of slots for the air to pass through, and cover the back with fiberglas, leaving the slots clear. Hang this at an angle in front of the duct and fit triangular pieces over the ends.



Put one of these on each vent connected to the studio ducts, even those in other rooms. If this isn't enough, you can add a second unit in front of the first.
 

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Get some carpet/a rug and line the walls in your room with some decorative tapestry. This will help 'dampen' the room and absorb the acoustic reverberation of those 'click' noises. Remembering your place, it's open concept and a lot of flat walls and concrete. Basically an echo chamber for all the wrong frequencies. Get some cloth in there and you'll be fine.
 

vinder

TRIBE Member
Michlerish said:
yeah, but it will save you on your electricity bill (if you have to pay that).

If it's a smaller vent, and assuming the air comes out of more than just one spot, can you cover up the one near your bed with a buffer? I'm thinking, a board wrapped in foam, covered in a fabric that matches your room... attach it to the wall on hiden hinges so that you can open the vent when you're awake.

TO make it look less functional, you could sew a picture on to the fabric on both sides... so that it just looks like art whether closed or open.
covering the vent won't solve the problem, as the metal still expands, and that's what's causing the clicking. and it's tough to wrap that entire area up as well, as it's very oddly shaped.

plus, then my room would be freezing, youch.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

vinder

TRIBE Member
Michlerish said:
found something:

Air ducts present a special problem. You don't want to cover them up (even keyboard players have to breathe), but they are a veritable freeway for sound. To soundproof air vents build a baffle as illustrated in figure 4. Start with a rectangule of 3/8 in plywood as large as you can fit into the space. Cut a series of slots for the air to pass through, and cover the back with fiberglas, leaving the slots clear. Hang this at an angle in front of the duct and fit triangular pieces over the ends.



Put one of these on each vent connected to the studio ducts, even those in other rooms. If this isn't enough, you can add a second unit in front of the first.
this is actually a great idea, but a bit impractical in my place since the vent faces teh window :( i appreciate your effort though!
 

vinder

TRIBE Member
OTIS said:
Get some carpet/a rug and line the walls in your room with some decorative tapestry. This will help 'dampen' the room and absorb the acoustic reverberation of those 'click' noises. Remembering your place, it's open concept and a lot of flat walls and concrete. Basically an echo chamber for all the wrong frequencies. Get some cloth in there and you'll be fine.
i'm hoping it doesn't come to that, since i'm having my place painted soon. but really, the *slightest* noise wakes me up, and i'm not sure that it'd work.

i really think i have to like rip off the vent or something :(
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

why not

TRIBE Member
wasn't there something in a thread recently about ducts not being taped up properly?
all i remember is that it's not duct tape they use.
 

Michlerish

Well-Known TRIBEr
ohhhh.... yeah... that's a tought one.

I can't think of anything short of hanging some fabric around the actual vent (loosely). Temporary solution, maybe?

Is it coming from the actual grate, or the entire metal tubing?
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders
Top