• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Handwriting

jus me

TRIBE Member
I've been in denial, but my handwriting sucks. Today I screwed up on air, cuz I scribbled...well not scribbled, I actually took my time to write it down. And couldn't read it. Shame. :eek:

I've been chastised by my mom for my horrible writing as compared to my sister who writes supposedly "clear, legibly and beautifully" :rolleyes:

Could it cuz I started using the computer earlier than she did and use it more than she does?

I type most of my notes, even drafts on the computer.

There's also one class that I'm taking that requires severe note taking. Some people have resorted to taking their laptop to class which is common. But the other day, this guy brought his digicam to class to take pictures of the overhead.....that's a first!

So how's your handwriting?

Would you chose word processing or writing on paper for different activities like journal keeping, notes, etc?

Do you judge people based on their handwriting?

In 10 years or so (maybe even sooner), will elementary students have computers at their desks instead of a binder filled with paper? Do you think it's a good idea or not and why?

okay, i think i might be ranting. maybe, i should get some sleep....

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

beta-vhs

TRIBE Member
I have terrible handwriting, handprinting and typewriting - and I kind of sound funny too when I talk. My suspicion is atrophy in that part of my brain that deals with language due to a lifestyle of silence and seclusion.

But sometimes I think that it's just laziness - well, it probably started out as laziness, but now it is a struggle.

Libradragon

TRIBE Promoter
i'm a leftie, so my handwriting USED to suck. Try being a leftie in a private school full of right-handed kids, and the consequences of poor penmanship are tough.

As a result, my handwriting/script kicks ass - you can't even tell that i'm left-handed.

The only time I write though is in my journal.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Agatka8

TRIBE Member
Why do we learn printing in grade 1?

Why don't we learn to write properly right from the start?

Learning to print first...has screwed up a lot of people's writing.

H2Whoa

TRIBE Member
i'm a leftie too and my hw is brutal (not that this is this cause of course)

i hated doing writing exercises as a kid and when I was supposed to be writing long connected lines of a's and o's i was shooting spitballs or reading a book hidden under the desk...

in university i really had to concentrate during exams because none of the TAs/professors could read anything i wrote...talk about mush-finger

now that i tpyically use a computer for all my correspondence
i have no reason to improve it

lucky1

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by jus me
So how's your handwriting?

Would you chose word processing or writing on paper for different activities like journal keeping, notes, etc?

Do you judge people based on their handwriting?

In 10 years or so (maybe even sooner), will elementary students have computers at their desks instead of a binder filled with paper? Do you think it's a good idea or not and why?

I hate reading other people's handwriting. I have neat writing when I'm not in a hurry. I realling make an effort to write neatly.

IgStar

TRIBE Member
I was just talking about this last night. Since working on the computer everyday, my handwriting has to the shitter!
hand cramps, sloppy as hell....I used to have such nice penmanship.

Brandon

TRIBE Member
My printing is still far neater than my handwriting.

I took a calligraphy course when I was a kid, but feather quill pens aren't exactly standard issue in school.

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
My handwriting can be really cool if I take the time (which I do for cards. letters, etc).

But when I don't care, its completely illegible to anyone else. It always has been.

Astroboy

TRIBE Member
I've never had good penmanship, and very likely, never will.

I can type as fast, if not quicker than I can write anyways...

xsre

TRIBE Member
I have nice handwriting and get complimented on it often. However, Little G's printing/handwriting is atrocious. I think he's just in too much of a hurry to print nicely.

sk8

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Agatka8
Why do we learn printing in grade 1?

Why don't we learn to write properly right from the start?

Learning to print first...has screwed up a lot of people's writing.

i never learned to print in school. my school taught cursive right from the start.

consequently when i try to print something, like on a form, I have trouble and it ends up as kind of a combo cursive-printing deal or I print in all capital letters (my dad does this too). this combo has now pretty much become what i do normally.

no matter which I'm doing though it comes out messy.

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
Being lefthanded doens't mean your handwriting sucks. I think you guys are using that as an excuse.

I'm left handed and i have good handwriting, unless i'm in a rush then it's messy.

I would prefer typing bc im a very fast typest compared to my hand writing.

Why is it that guys have worst handwriting then girls?
I know that's generalizing but there aren't many guys that I know that don't have chicken scratch.

MalGlo

TRIBE Member
my writing is chicken scratch.

tis why i started bringing a laptop to school in highschool... so i could actually type and READ my notes.

i get lazy when i write...

mingster

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by sk8
i never learned to print in school. my school taught cursive right from the start.

consequently when i try to print something, like on a form, I have trouble and it ends up as kind of a combo cursive-printing deal or I print in all capital letters (my dad does this too). this combo has now pretty much become what i do normally.

no matter which I'm doing though it comes out messy.

i think most people have adapted their own sort of way of writing that combines cursive and print. i know i have. :)

Moez

TRIBE Member
7536_512.jpg