• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Halloween

sianspherica

TRIBE Member
Anyone not give a shit about costumes, like, at all?

I'm 30, I just don't care about dressing up on Halloween.

Does that make me super cynical and no fun? I'm totally down for fun at a party around Halloween, I just don't see the massive need to do it while dressed up uncomfortably in some get-up.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
I like dressing up, it can be all out full on get my costume on WOO !!!( Jedi w/ Robe and saber et all )

or super subtle like im almost not even wearing one ( bike courier lol )

or say fuck it and just go out.

it has much to do with my mood and where im partying, if its a sweaty monster warehouse party i prefer form and function over look and ostentation.

that being said black light parties in the middle of an arboretum on Halloween night will def make me implement something.

[YOUTUBE]GkBDRUO8hAo[/YOUTUBE]

also LED lights are amazing.

The Watcher

TRIBE Member
It's not about the costume, it's about the personality you put on while in costume... it's fun if you let your inner child wild. If you don't appreciate it, maybe it's because you don't know how to put on a character... or don't see the point in it.

Not everyone likes to act, which is fine, but you're missing out on some fun if you don't try.

It doesn't have to be anything complicated... hell, just a set of bunny ears is all you need.

erika

TRIBE Member
People seem happier on Halloween: costumes trigger smiles, and that's a good thing.

It's odd this year with so many parties being the week-end before even though it's further away from the date.

I'll be out of the country on the week-end, but will probably dress up a bit for a disco party on the night of.

[- FuNKtiOn -]

TRIBE Member
I love me some Halloween, especially including costumes. My wife and I usually put more effort into Halloween then we do any other holiday. If you don't have fun in costumes (or have fun with people in costumes) then I'd understand why the excitement isn't there for you, but for me part of the fun is going out and it not being just another regular night of partying like any other.

That said my gig cancelled last minute for this weekend, so for once we are taking a year off and laying low.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
I got roped in at work to help out with the annual halloween party we have. I'm looking forward to it!
Love halloween :)

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
People are 100% more social on Halloween. Costumes are great ice breakers.

I'm really struggling with it here. It's not a big deal here but I LOVE IT normally. Even though I work in an international school, we're not allowed to dress up because a couple of years ago some little kit got scared and their mother called our school, complaining that we were "too westernized."

There's a party here for ex-pats, but the DJ is spinning hip hop. Not a huge fan.

My wife doesn't even have a costume.

So yeah, big dilemma for me. It's my favourite night of the year and I think it's gonna be super low key. We'll see.

praktik

TRIBE Member
For me I'm coming off a run of cheap but super awesome costumes, and I dont think I can keep it up.

The bar was too high.

Think I'll be dialling in this year's costume.

Last year i had my first "free' costume: derelicte model.

Advantages? By being a random derelicte model I could pick anything really, didn't have to "look like" anything specific from the movie.

Also I just used trash around the house. Feel free to copy me, I can't pull the same shit twice so its locked out of my reach.

mitsuko souma

TRIBE Member
I wait all year for Halloween AND Zombie Walk! This is my Christmas!
I have four events this year so i I have two costumes.
and both are scary

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
People are 100% more social on Halloween. Costumes are great ice breakers.

I'm really struggling with it here. It's not a big deal here but I LOVE IT normally. Even though I work in an international school, we're not allowed to dress up because a couple of years ago some little kit got scared and their mother called our school, complaining that we were "too westernized."

There's a party here for ex-pats, but the DJ is spinning hip hop. Not a huge fan.

My wife doesn't even have a costume.

So yeah, big dilemma for me. It's my favourite night of the year and I think it's gonna be super low key. We'll see.
Your costumes are always awesome! I thought you moved back to Toronto for some reason.

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
I was back in the summer, but I'll never live there again. I found it more sterile and uninspiring than ever.

Maria thought up a pretty good costume set over breakfast. And I won't have to costume recycle (I brought three with me, just in case.)

I just hope we can pull it off effectively. :)

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
My costume idea will cost about $100 if I go to Malabar. I am not Boss Hog when it comes to Halloween, so I will have to come up with a cheap Dollarama alternative.... I always leave this shit to the last minute which kind of sucks.

peko

TRIBE Member
I was back in the summer, but I'll never live there again. I found it more sterile and uninspiring than ever.

Maria thought up a pretty good costume set over breakfast. And I won't have to costume recycle (I brought three with me, just in case.)

I just hope we can pull it off effectively. :)
Please tell us what you two are going to be!

I'm dressing up my babies and will eat all their candy.

Brandon

TRIBE Member
I stopped dressing up (and trick or treating for that matter) when I was about 16, which was a couple of years too late I guess based on the reactions I got my last time out. Ah well.

I think I went to one Halloween party as a young adult, and that's about it. Not sure I even dressed up. So I've sort of skipped out on that whole side of it. Not that I'm anti-Halloween or anything - I do appreciate the effort people put into their costumes.

My kids are of course totally into it though, so I'm enjoying Halloween a second time around through their eyes. And even more so this year - my oldest daughter and I have been collaborating on a "dieselpunk bounty hunter" concept that she came up with on her own. (My youngest wants to be a cowgirl, so that one was a little easier to pull together.)

So I've discovered some of the joys of assembling a proper costume. A decade too late for myself lately, but just in time to make some decent memories with the kids.

Last edited:

kuba

TRIBE Member
I'll never forget the 4am cab disaster my friend Ron and I had on College. We were waiting for one forever, and finally grabbed one. Girl in a bee costume gets in after us and orders the guy to take her to etobicoke. We get into a fight, our cab first, we're all loaded, and she went ape shit on my friend. As he's leaving he said "I didn't know bees could be such c*nts."

I guess you had to be there.

rave jedi

TRIBE Member
Was planning to watch a horror film at my friends place, so I looked at the scary movie thread here for ideas. Was stuck on what to watch for tomorrow night. I later stumbled onto this link below and thought watching the movie "Clue" may be the perfect movie to bring over for some Halloween fun. Looking forward to watching it, especially because I've never seen this detective movie based on a classic board game.

Why ‘Clue’ is the ultimate cult Halloween classic | New York Post

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
My 4 year old son insisted on being Batman this year so I got him a costume with the old-school blue two-tone with muscles. He looks awesome.

I'm surprising him by dressing up as Robin. I can't wait to see the look on his face tomorrow.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders