• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Half life 2 and my computer. Help

21 grams

TRIBE Member
I just upgraded my old computer to a new one:

CPU - AMD Athlon 64 3200
Videoe - GeForce 6600 gt
Mobo - msi k8tneo2
ram - 512 ddr 400
hd - 80gig 7200

running my hd on NTFS system.
When i play Half Life 2 im also running Mcafee virus scanner.
===============================================
Now.. everyone tells me that this new computer is a solid choice, and yet, im having problems with it.
When i play Half Life 2, on 1024 by 768 (all high) and some big explotion happenes, or something else my cumputer stops for a split second and then continues to go. sometimes it can stop for a split second 3-5 times in a minute, like its getting annoying. Although i see perfect graphics and my fps is from 60 to 250 or something. I tried to change graphics, desable virus scan, whatever, i still get all those lags with this brand new computer.

does anyone know what could possibly cause that problem?
i have a few theories
1 - hd should not be in NTFS system
2 - for some reason when i go to BIOS it shows that my RAM runs 200MHZ, and my CPU 2000 MHZ... should be 400MHZ and 2200 MHZ. But i dont want to get into overclocking yet. maybe mobo setting are incorrect.
3 - not enough ram, although, when i try to use dual ram (2 by 512 sticks) it fucks up and does not work...
4 - video card
5 - slow cpu

help... i wasted 1000 on those upgrades and it works worse then my old p3 933 with gefroce mx440 video card :(

Stop Bill C-10

deep

TRIBE Member
ntfs is desirable. ddr ram is dual data rate (= d.d.r.), so 2x200mhz is correct. a gig of ram is desirable, but 512 should be sufficient. other theories are probably not likely.

are you using the latest drivers for your graphics card?

21 grams

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by deep
ntfs is desirable. ddr ram is dual data rate (= d.d.r.), so 2x200mhz is correct. a gig of ram is desirable, but 512 should be sufficient. other theories are probably not likely.

are you using the latest drivers for your graphics card?

believe so, ill try to update them now. i know for sure im using direct X9.0

deep

TRIBE Member
so those lags you describe, where your computer stops - your FPS doesn't drop to 0? You say the FPS range is between 60 and 250.

Is this playing multiplayer online or just single player offline?

edit:

Actually, am I reading correctly that you DO have 2 x 512 mb of RAM available, but that you can't use both sticks at the same time? So you just use 1 x 512mb?

That would be the first place I'd start looking. Why it is you can't get the other stick to work at the same time. Check your motherboard manufacturer's forum for any posts on the particular brand of RAM you have or any threads describing the problem you're encountering. You may have to do something like increase the voltage supplied to the RAM to get it to run stably. The hiccups you experience might be related to the RAM issue.

Last edited:

21 grams

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by deep
so those lags you describe, where your computer stops - your FPS doesn't drop to 0? You say the FPS range is between 60 and 250.

Is this playing multiplayer online or just single player offline?

edit:

Actually, am I reading correctly that you DO have 2 x 512 mb of RAM available, but that you can't use both sticks at the same time? So you just use 1 x 512mb?

That would be the first place I'd start looking. Why it is you can't get the other stick to work at the same time. Check your motherboard manufacturer's forum for any posts on the particular brand of RAM you have or any threads describing the problem you're encountering. You may have to do something like increase the voltage supplied to the RAM to get it to run stably. The hiccups you experience might be related to the RAM issue.

it does not drop to 0, stays at 60 maybe even 250 but stops for a split second.
its internet multiplayer game - counter strike source or half life 2

and yes, it works fine with my new ram, but when i try to use both sticks ( my old 512 3200) windows loads up but no program will work... i just thought that its something wrong with the ram, but it works fine on the other computer. maybe not enough power suply to run both? 400 wats? i think its good enough. so its either some mobo settings or ram just does not like my mobo.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

21 grams

TRIBE Member
researched some info about my mobo

- Please select the identical memory modules to install on channel A or channel B, or it may cause some unknown failure.

so it means that both sticks have to be exactly the same? even the brand name?

deep

TRIBE Member
generally advisable to have sticks of ram exactly the same, yeah.

and if you're experiencing lag while playing online, the problem may have nothing to do with your computer but rather the data being transmitted through your connection. how smooth gameplay is while playing online depends on the quality of the server you're connected to, the ping you get to it, your in game network settings, whether or not you're sharing your internet connection and someone is transferring files at the same time as you play, etc.

rulz

TRIBE Member
its a game thing its lags

try to search steam forum for a similiar answer

but you could also try these launch parameters

+mat_forcehardwaresync 0 +snd_async_prefetch_priority 1

helped me big time for both crashing and smoothnes of the game

an ummm don't run game @ holy shit settings with 512 of ram 512 is a bare minimum for this game

buy 1024 in one stick if you can that will boost performance big time

another side note will be that nvidia cards tend to have more problems with that game as it was originally built for ATI cards

Stan

TRIBE Member
It's a well documented bug. Some people have it, some don't. Do a google search for "Half Life 2 Stutter".

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders