• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

hairdresser for curly hair?

queen naeema

TRIBE Member
more misses than hits are forcing me to look elsewhere. i have a mass of difficult curls and need some recommendations. help me tribe women!!

Psyrel

TRIBE Member
My girl's amazing, she really understands curly hair. She was highly recommended on the naturallycurly.com website years ago and I haven't looked elsewhere since.

PM me for details if you're interested.

ScottBentley

TRIBE Member
this may seem kinda silly (and simplistic) but, just walk in to a few salons that look for a stylist with curly hair and request a consultation. When I first moved downtown I spent half a day visiting salons and hanging out for 15 - 20 minutes just watching the stylists work. I was looking more for personality (and a bit of technique) myself. You'd be surprised at how few weird looks you get from receptionists when you tell them what you're doing. :)

ila

TRIBE Member
I have naturally fine wavy hair and my man at Blowdry Lounge gives me the best cuts that I can wear full curly/wavy or straight.

http://blowdrylounge.ca/

Book with Beni! He's a master..he used to work with Tony Chaar in Yorkville.

peko

TRIBE Member
more misses than hits are forcing me to look elsewhere. i have a mass of difficult curls and need some recommendations. help me tribe women!!
tribe's own: mrs. brick!!!

she's on harboard too.

i've also heard good things about the curl ambassadors, but i love mrs. brick best!!

rejenerate

TRIBE Member
I had a terrible experience at Curl Ambassadors but my curls are not at all like emiwee's. They loaded my hair down with so much product I washed it when I got home, and my haircut was visibly uneven at the back.

emiwee

TRIBE Member
I had a terrible experience at Curl Ambassadors but my curls are not at all like emiwee's. They loaded my hair down with so much product I washed it when I got home, and my haircut was visibly uneven at the back.
Ugh. That sucks, Jen. I have to admit, my hair is pretty forgiving with an "uneven" haircut. And I could put a ton of product in my hair and it could probably still take more.

Ms. Fit

TRIBE Member
do you have hair of any sort of african descent? if so then check out Hair 2 Inc. in yorkville.

they are mean, but they know what they're doing.

Soulster

TRIBE Member
as a curly haired girl i third mrs. brick. she does amazingly with shaping curly hair by cutting the layers properly. She has curly/wavy hair herself so she KNOWS.

lucky1

TRIBE Member
There is a salon by my work called 'Urban Textures' (Bay and Gerard). My freind from work got a few cuts there and her hair is very curly, tiny ringlets. The stylist took the time to wash and blow dry and straighten her hair before cutting, so it would be even. (not an easy task as when it is straight it is half way down her back, when it is curly it is above the shoulder). She was happy and I thought it looked really nice

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
Curly hair sisters REJOICE!

Hi Ladies,
I have great news!

I got a haircut by Junior Hairstylist Martha @ Parlour Salon on Ossington Avenue or if you want someone a little more senior ask for Charlotte, who trained Martha!!!

They are absolutely amazing! So gentle with brushing my thick mane, the product are heavenly and most importantly, they work with your type of curl.

Super happy with my curls! Got about three inches off.

You can check out their facebook page for some curly hair example.

:D

For now, a haircut with Martha is approx $45.
A hair with Charlotte, it's approx $60.