1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Hail to the bbq 2010 thread

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by MOD ONE, May 23, 2010.

1. MOD ONE

MOD ONE TRIBE Member

Notice there wasn't any from the search engine, so I'll get one started for the BBQ season. Let the cooking of mass amount of meats be smoked, grilled or what ever method you choose begin!!!

Tomorrow I'm making a whole chicken and Rib combo for me and the wife. I already have an awesome rub made . I've had my smoker out a few times this season, but judging from this weekend the BBQ season is here. The whole chicken and ribs I get from my butcher "Butcher By Nature" by far the best butcher I've been to. Anyways the chicken is pre marinated with a french herb mix. First time trying it so I'll tell you how it is. However I'm still going to put the rub over the marinade because I did like it last time I tried it, and it came out amazing. I just spent a total of 100 bucks at this place. I'm like a kid at the candy store when I shop there lol.

2. I_bRAD

I_bRAD TRIBE Member

I am smoking a turkey breast on the Weber tomorrow. Also from butcher by nature. (on your reccomendation) I've been brining it since saturday morning, and it'll air dry for a few hours starting tomorrow morning before going on the grill.

Last time I was at butcher by nature I ended up dropping over 400.... but a full freezer isn't really wasting money per se...

3. MOD ONE

MOD ONE TRIBE Member

I agree I rather spend more money there on one visit, and having a stock pile of meat to cook. Butcher By Nature is also really good with pre orders. If I want a good brisket or a big order of ribs they always come through, and the quality of the meat is by far one of the best in the city. Also the people that work there are really dedicated, and know their shit. Always get good advice how to cook the meat, and what not to do with the meats. To top it off they have Fred's bread there. I always get the one with fried potatoes and chives baked on top of it... so good with any meal.

What kind of Weber do you have. I have one as well it looks like a rocket lol.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  4. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

I just hardwood smoked a pork loin in my regular weber (not rocket shaped). Oh man is it ever delicious!

5. I_bRAD

I_bRAD TRIBE Member

I have a '97 Weber performer. Still going strong after 13 lucky years. :)

It's pretty limited for smoking capacity, but I don't have the fridge capacity to prepare any more than I can smoke on it anyhow. Replacement parts are easy to find and it's pretty versatile too. Too bad the new performers aren't as nice.

6. MOD ONE

MOD ONE TRIBE Member

The Weber Performer looks nice, and you probably could smoke in that unit. Just put the charcoal to one side and cook the meat on the other side. Get a smoke box to put your wood chips in and cook at 250. Put the smoke box on top of the hot coals, and soak the chips so they smolder and smoke the meat.

7. I_bRAD

I_bRAD TRIBE Member

Oh you can smoke in it for sure. I've done it many times. I just can't hang sausages or do 25lbs of meat at once.

8. alexd

Are pork ribs in sale anywhere? I enjoyed smoking my pork loin so much, I want to try some racks of ribs...

9. djglobalkiller

djglobalkiller TRIBE Promoter

not sure if they do retail, but cattlemans out in etobicoke is what i used to buy

10. MOD ONE

MOD ONE TRIBE Member

I don't shop at Costco, but I always hear people talking about getting good prices on ribs there sometimes, and they sell their kirckland ribs in packages of 6. However bare in mind you're buying some nasty meat IMO when you buy from Costco.

11. PAUZE

PAUZE TRIBE Promoter

Nossa Talio Butcher on Bloor St is where I bought my pork for this weekends bbq festivities.

Another Hidden Gem is the meat store on Gunns Rd.

12. alexd

When I think Gunns Rd., I think huge raves with the chillout room in the refrigerated, tiled, killing room.

13. alexd

What about European Meat Market in Kensington market? Prices seem cheap enough, hows the quality?

14. PAUZE

PAUZE TRIBE Promoter

Pricing is decent for sure at European Meats! I have used them several times before and found the quality to be pretty good.....

You should really try Gunns Rd though. Worth the drive/bike. You will probably end up spending about 50-60 bucks and filling your freezer with about 1 mths worth of meat. Baseball steaks are around 6 bucks each. Boxes of 13 frozen boneless chicken breast are 20 bucks. T-Bone Steaks for 5-7 bucks. Boxes of frozen burgers are 25$ for 32 patties. Beef Kebabs are 6 bucks for 2 fat skewers...... The list goes on.

15. [SQUARE]

[SQUARE] TRIBE Member

I wish I had a BBQ :(

16. sk8

sk8 TRIBE Member

Picked up some ground venison and some bison yesterday. Also got some pork sausages that were eaten yesterday.

For those heading through this way I recommend here: Welcome to Country Markets

17. alexd

ribs from European Meats rubbed with Herbamare and garlic puree then hardwood smoked for 2 hours. Fuck are they ever tasty...

[​IMG]

18. I_bRAD

I_bRAD TRIBE Member

Good lookin' ribs Alex!

Tonight I made marinated flank steak and baked mashed potatoes on the BBQ. Tasty.

19. alexd

I love summer

20. djglobalkiller

djglobalkiller TRIBE Promoter

will there be a bbq this year, i am looking forward to another display of culinary outrageous-ness along with a bottle of bacon vodka to top it off

21. alexd

of course

22. MOD ONE

MOD ONE TRIBE Member

The Ribs Are Rubbed MOFOs!!!

First phase to awesome ribs is a awesome rub!!!

Ribs have been on the pit since 3. I will take a look at 7 to see how much longer I need. Cooking them at 250 of course and from my experience a good 4 to 5 hours is usually good time for ribs... that's if you cook them at 250.

[​IMG]

23. basketballjones

basketballjones TRIBE Member

when i do ribs it is usually 3 hours at 350, i have a pick of the ones i made at melissa's last weekend i will post

24. MOD ONE

MOD ONE TRIBE Member

Yeah once you go over 275 IMO that's no longer cooking it long and slow. Typical slow smoke temp is 250. However I've been doing research and some people in competition do what is called a hard smoke where they cook it at 275. 350 is more your typical oven temperature where you cook things at a average rate. Now that being said your way may work just as good, but I like my low and slow method... it turns many meats into delicious tender meat.

Those where ribs I did for my brothers bday... I left them dry so I could glaze them at his house.

[​IMG]

8 racks in that roasting pan.

25. basketballjones

basketballjones TRIBE Member

the ribs i have been rocking have been oven ribs and most ovens wont go below 325, so i am kind of constrained
    but the meat is fall off the bone madness