• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

"hacking" USB headsets..

HotSauce

TRIBE Member
So having no expertise or experience in this, this is what I want to do....

I want to "remove" the mic and replace it with an audio feed

would it be as simple as cutting off the mic bit, and connecting the wires from an RCA cable to the wires left over sticking out from the mic?

It's the whole USB thig that worries me... the fact my computer can tell that it's a headset when I plug it in is creepy... how does it know? :D

HotSauce

TRIBE Member
I will try testing this later on tonight or tomorrow, just going to run out to the mall and buy a new headset just in case it doesn't work as planned.

Just for fun, I will take and post pictures along with the results if there's interest....

labRat

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by HotSauce
would it be as simple as cutting off the mic bit, and connecting the wires from an RCA cable to the wires left over sticking out from the mic?
few things you'd need to do:
1. put a DC resistance equivalent to the mic resistance (probably 2kohm) from the line to the ground.
2. probably DC couple the line in to the mic input as there may be two different DC levels. So, put a 47uF cap in series between the two signal wires.

3. most importantly - you'll have to attenuate the RCA input level by probably a factor of 10. this shouldn't be done by volume control, you should put a 20kohm resistor in series with a 2kohm resistor to ground.

1 and 2 may not be needed, but #3 is definitely important otherwise you'll overload the input. it's expecting a few mV and you could potentially give it 1-2V.

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

HotSauce

TRIBE Member
*eek*

I now have to add radio shack to my list of shopping spots....

thank you labRat

I will dedicate my project to you

labRat

TRIBE Member
radio snatch may even have something like that available ... but be prepared for the blank stares if you ask them anything.