• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

H7N9 bird flu has spread to pigeons and we are all going to die

alexd

Administrator
Staff member

Shanghai closes poultry markets over bird flu

Chinese officials in the city of Shanghai have ordered the temporary closure of its poultry markets due to the H7N9 bird flu outbreak.

A spokesman for the city authorities said the decision was taken on grounds of public safety.

The city has already begun a mass slaughter of poultry after the virus was discovered in pigeons at a market.

Six people have died in this latest outbreak. The H7N9 virus is a form of avian flu not before seen in humans.

It is not yet known how people are catching the disease, although the World Health Organization says there is currently no evidence of human-to-human transmission.

Four of the bird flu fatalities in China have been recorded in Shanghai.

The city is also monitoring another person who was in close contact with one of those who died after showing flu-like symptoms.

Shanghai health official, Wu Fan, was quoted by Agence-France Presse news agency as saying that the person tested negative for H7N9.

"There is no possibility of spreading the infection overseas," Wu Fan also told a press conference.

Officials ordered the slaughter of at least 20,000 birds starting late on Thursday after the virus was detected in pigeons sold in Huhuai market.

Entrances to poultry markets were sealed and police stood watch as workers disinfected the areas, reports say.

There have been 14 confirmed infections of the new bird flu virus so far in eastern China, including in Shanghai and Zhejiang province.

The latest fatality was a farmer, 64, who died in Zhejiang, state-run media say.

from BBC

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
14 confirmed cases. in a country with a population of close to 1.5 billion. i'm going back to bed. wake me when there's a pigeon with the sniffles on my balcony.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
wake me when there's a pigeon with the sniffles on my balcony.
How to Get Rid of Pigeons on a Balcony
By Greg Lindberg, eHow Contributor

Instructions

Clean your balcony and remove any trash, food, branches or dead leaves that might attract the pigeons. Also, make sure there are no areas that could become homes for pigeons, such as trash bags, newspaper or large plants.

Place a plastic owl on the area of your balcony where the pigeons normally perch. This works most of the time, but it helps to spend the extra money to get a life-like statue as the pigeons may eventually discover that the owl is fake.

Purchase anti-roosting spike strips. These can be found at your local home and garden store, and they are placed in the areas where the pigeons might try to perch. The spikes will make the area unsafe for the pigeons to land.

Wrap chicken wire around the border of your balcony. You can purchase chicken wire at your local home and garden store specifically designed to form over the railing of a balcony to stop pigeons from perching. Once a pigeon gets stuck on the wire, other pigeons will know to stay away.

Purchase an ultrasonic repellent that includes speakers with motion sensors which become activated once a pigeon enters your balcony. The pigeons will automatically fly away once the noise is activated. Make sure that the ultrasonic repellent you purchase is specific to pigeons.

Read more: How to Get Rid of Pigeons on a Balcony | eHow.com How to Get Rid of Pigeons on a Balcony | eHow.com

WestsideWax

TRIBE Promoter
Rumour has it no one actually dies from bird-flu, but instead from complications arising from alarmism.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
How to Get Rid of Pigeons on a Balcony
By Greg Lindberg, eHow Contributor

Instructions

Clean your balcony and remove any trash, food, branches or dead leaves that might attract the pigeons. Also, make sure there are no areas that could become homes for pigeons, such as trash bags, newspaper or large plants.

Place a plastic owl on the area of your balcony where the pigeons normally perch. This works most of the time, but it helps to spend the extra money to get a life-like statue as the pigeons may eventually discover that the owl is fake.

Purchase anti-roosting spike strips. These can be found at your local home and garden store, and they are placed in the areas where the pigeons might try to perch. The spikes will make the area unsafe for the pigeons to land.

Wrap chicken wire around the border of your balcony. You can purchase chicken wire at your local home and garden store specifically designed to form over the railing of a balcony to stop pigeons from perching. Once a pigeon gets stuck on the wire, other pigeons will know to stay away.

Purchase an ultrasonic repellent that includes speakers with motion sensors which become activated once a pigeon enters your balcony. The pigeons will automatically fly away once the noise is activated. Make sure that the ultrasonic repellent you purchase is specific to pigeons.

Read more: How to Get Rid of Pigeons on a Balcony | eHow.com How to Get Rid of Pigeons on a Balcony | eHow.com
reprezent! this is the first year I have ever had a balcony or lived in a building higher than 3 stories. it should be interesting. i've seen some buildings where people wrap old colourful slinkys (the actual toy) around their railings. looks so low-brow it's unbelievable. number 5 is also sal de ban repellant! :D

tripleup

TRIBE Member
The Walking Dead has lessened my aversion to shooting things, so I think I'll just buy a shotgun in advance of the Pigeonocalypse.