• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Gym etiquette and general info.

Balzz

TRIBE Member
Crossfit replaces the useless shit like effectiveness and safety and replaces it with violence and danger. Lol

deep

TRIBE Member
The training with kali video is hilarious. Wonder what he's like when he's not in character.
Yeah there are some wonderfully subtle / cerebral gems in there e.g. taking out your constant self criticism on another human being hahaha

Balzz

TRIBE Member
I love how he uses the smith machine as an analogy for life - you can't just rerack life anytime it gets tough. That makes you a quitter!

Balzz

TRIBE Member
Yeah there are some wonderfully subtle / cerebral gems in there e.g. taking out your constant self criticism on another human being hahaha
Ooooo that's the same one where he goes "I brought a snack" and busts out a dumbbell from his gym bag and starts curling. BWAHAHAHAH

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
I love BSL. so much quotable hilarity.

Re: Oxygen Deprivation Masks:
"Now, you don't even have to go to a mountain. you can just bring the mountain...to your face!"
"Have you ever asked yourself, how I can look like an asshole faster, and more decisively than ever?"

Balzz

TRIBE Member
"Unless I'm misunderstanding, which I'm not, flexibility is not your ability to flex, which it should be." ����������

"On the bright side, you don't have to do legs for 9 months. Unless you count running out on your kids, which is the only acceptable form of cardio. My dad taught me that. Thanks pops."

Dying...never gonna get sick of these vids.

Last edited:

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
Nice. Been about 2 months since I've been back at the gym and thank snot for muscle memory. Flat barbell bench is at 13-14 reps @ 225lbs (goal is to hit 20 reps), managed to hit 100lbs dumbbells for incline bench, deadlifts are at 275lbs for 8 reps (goal is to just maintain at 315lbs for 10 reps), a2g squats @ 225lbs for 10 reps.

Dunno if I have any goals for my legs yet. I'm already buying 36" jeans wherein I have about 4" to spare just so the legs will fit. I want to be able to fit into my race suit lol

Back on it, yo.

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
Since the end of feb, I got sick for a while and didn't work out for about 6-7 weeks. Second or third day back from my flu and I suddenly jumped up to 18 reps on flat barbell @ 225lbs. Even fired off 7 reps @ 275 on flat barbell.

Weird. Strong day, I guess.

jocelyn dee

TRIBE Promoter
I just did a jump rope work out today. It was killer but awesome fun at the same time.

Totally recommend it as a a good HIIT alternative to running etc.

I used to jump rope regularly a few years ago but then kinda focussed on other things. I think it will be a staple in my workout routine again!

deep

TRIBE Member
I love jumping rope - have been doing that more than running lately myself. If you haven't gotten an Aero Speed rope they're awesome.

Balzz

TRIBE Member
Last year my goal was 500lb deadlift...this year it's gonna be to do double unders comfortably. Thanks for the tip deep!

Rage

TRIBE Member
I just did a jump rope work out today. It was killer but awesome fun at the same time.

Totally recommend it as a a good HIIT alternative to running etc.

I used to jump rope regularly a few years ago but then kinda focussed on other things. I think it will be a staple in my workout routine again!
Love jumping rope - can't recommended it enough. I do a lot of crossfit so obviously it's a big part of that but if you're looking for a killer 30min HIIT session, try this;

Get on a treadmill, set it to a speed that's an easy walking speed for you, nothing too fast at all. Do 1min intervals where your first min is walking at that easy speed, next min you get off and jump rope for a min straight - repeat for the 30min session and finish with a 5 min gradual cool-down.

Depending on your skill level with the rope, you can use that min to do straight double unders or if not that, mix it up. Single leg jumps, alternating etc....just work as hard as you can for the min.

It's been my go-to HIIT for a few years now. I'll substitute that sometimes with 1min of burpees instead but that's if I'm feeling a bit nuts!

Side note: WTF is it with guys who want to stand right in front of the mirror you're working out in front of, doing their exercises when there's CLEARLY more room elsewhere for them to find a spot?

??????????????

jocelyn dee

TRIBE Promoter
can finally do pull-ups (overhand/pronated) grip! realized a few days ago i can do 3 consecutive from dead hang. I know it doesn't sound impressive at only 3, but i have been working on getting to this point for a long time.

have been able to do chin-ups for a few months so happy to be able to do the pull ups too!

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
Nice. Been about 2 months since I've been back at the gym and thank snot for muscle memory. Flat barbell bench is at 13-14 reps @ 225lbs (goal is to hit 20 reps), managed to hit 100lbs dumbbells for incline bench, deadlifts are at 275lbs for 8 reps (goal is to just maintain at 315lbs for 10 reps), a2g squats @ 225lbs for 10 reps.

Dunno if I have any goals for my legs yet. I'm already buying 36" jeans wherein I have about 4" to spare just so the legs will fit. I want to be able to fit into my race suit lol

Back on it, yo.
Weird. Made this post a touch over a year ago lol

I stopped working out in June 2014 and started again in Dec 2014. Within the last 2.5 months, I'm not sure what happened but I can now bench 275 flat barbell for 12 reps / 225 flat barbell for 21 reps.

Dunno what's up with the sudden surge of strength. Maybe old man stremgth? Haha old balls.

Tahoe

TRIBE Member
can finally do pull-ups (overhand/pronated) grip! realized a few days ago i can do 3 consecutive from dead hang. I know it doesn't sound impressive at only 3, but i have been working on getting to this point for a long time.

have been able to do chin-ups for a few months so happy to be able to do the pull ups too!
That's great! I know ripped female fitness model/gym rats that can't do a single pull up so you have good reason to be stoked.

I'm currently working on building my left calf to match the right one. Seems I should have been switching up my riding stance skateboarding all those years.
New jeans will have to be purchased soon. No more skinny jeans for this guy :/

diablo

TRIBE Member
Not sure if this has been covered in this thread, but anyway...

For various reasons, I've never had a gym membership until a few months ago. In the brief time that I've been going, I've encountered three different guys eating in the locker room. I don't mean eating a Power Bar or chugging one of those gross whey drinks, either - I'm talking full-on chicken and rice takeout dinners in styrofoam clamshell containers. Am I the only one who finds this kind of gross? Not so much for me as for the person eating (apart from making the locker room smell like gyros or whatever). I can't think of very many places I'd prefer to eat less than a men's locker room.

I know there are lots of dudes who want to FEED THEIR GAINS WITH PROTEIN, BRO but really - you couldn't wait three minutes to get outside?