• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Gym etiquette and general info.

OTIS

TRIBE Member
The thread including but not limited to everything from workout routines, to diet, to everything that has to do with getting along smoothly at your particular muscle hustle house.

Really I just started this thread to tell anyone who gyms it:

DO NOT do your curls or lifts or lunges in front of the dumbbell rack. People need access to that space to grab and replace their weights –that’s why it’s open. If there’s one thing that has consistently grated on my nerves over the years, that’s it. Otherwise I’m a happy gent at the gym.

Littlest Hobo

TRIBE Member
Rack your weights! There is nothing as miserable as having to unload the 4-plates on each side of the bar from the guy who doesn't squat as much as he curtsies like the Queen is in town.

OTIS

TRIBE Member
*nods* the same goes for dumbbells.

To the guy who feels he needs a colony of different weights around him during rush hour at the gym, remember, OTHER folks might need them too so take only as you need.

As well, it's really unnecessary to slam your weights when you're finished benching them, it's disruptive and sometimes can be dangerous to yourself and others. If you're not familiar with the knee-lifting technique, it's really easy and you can also use it to bring your weights down. Additionally, if you can't properly handle your weights you might be trying to push too much.

Lifting with knees:

And when you're done, bring your knees up to "catch" the weights gracefully as you let them fall towards your legs.

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
OTIS said:
Lifting with knees:

And when you're done, bring your knees up to "catch" the weights gracefully as you let them fall towards your legs.

I fucking thought I invented this!!

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Here's one that I live by: don't look at me when I'm working out. Don't talk to me either, because I'm not going to help you. My workout time is my meditation away from assholes and retards clearly indicated by a clenched jaw, eyes on my weights, a hoodie and ear buds buried deep into the cavities of my ears. Please fuck right off.

And just when you think that not talking to me is enough, let me fucking help you out some more: get off your cell phone. I'll smash it into your meathead face the next time I see you soaking up precious bench bandwidth while mouthing off to your tarzan buddy about the bitches you didn't score with last weekend. Eat shit.

Oh, almost forgot: you women who dress up in the gym, or even if you don't and you're just hoping for an esteem boost from one of the cell-wanking monkey fucks -- don't worry, I'm not looking at you and couldn't care less about your problems. Want to get noticed? Go to the Brant House and find a married lawyer.

OTIS

TRIBE Member
^^^ I'd imagine those issues are more prevalent at one of the fitness club gyms. School athletic centres, bodybuilding gyms and and to a lesser extent the YMCAs tend to keep that kind of behaviour at a minimum. I don't mind people talking to me at the gym, as long as it's gym related as in someone needs a spot, or they're being polite about bench usage, or asking to work in etc.

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Incidentally, the worst of those experiences were at the west-end YMCA. :p

I'm at a Premier Fitness now, and it's an improvement. All anecdotes though, I'm just offering up a general shout-out to the shitheads who think that a gym is a social scene.

Deus

TRIBE Member
Do you guys go to the gym because you have anger issues or do you have anger issues because you to go the gym?

OTIS

TRIBE Member
~atp~ said:
Incidentally, the worst of those experiences were at the west-end YMCA. :p

I'm at a Premier Fitness now, and it's an improvement. All anecdotes though, I'm just offering up a general shout-out to the shitheads who think that a gym is a social scene.
I've only ever been to the downtown YMCA. No one bothered you there, although it also constantly smelled of urine.

Deus

TRIBE Member
Here is what my concerns are when I go to the gym. I see people lifting weights all the time that do it wrong. Sometimes I feel like I need to say something before they hurt themselves, but I never do.

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
OTIS said:
I think in a gym, offering unsolicited advice on technique might not get taken well.
Not true! Or at least I don't mind getting it. My technique is generally not good enough to offer tips to anyone else though.

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Yeah I don't mind getting advice either. But we're likely the exception than the rule. I think most people's how to's get acquired from personal research and observation. If you're talking about people you hit the gym with, then it's entirely acceptable to talk, trade tips, etc.

geminigirl

TRIBE Member
A message to all the stinky fuckers who sweat all over the cardio and then don't even wipe it down. God damnitt take a shower you disgusting pigs and clean off the equipment like everyone else.

At my old gym there were these older men that looked(and smelled!) like they haven't showered in a couple of days and then worked out.

I take a shower in the morning before I start the day. So I am always showered before my work out. I would feel so gross working out without a shower and then sweating all over the equipment that other people use.

Pisssssss me off.

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
I always wipe down the machine after I use it, but why would I shower before going to the gym when I know I'm going to shower right after?

~atp~

TRIBE Member
OTIS said:
I've only ever been to the downtown YMCA. No one bothered you there, although it also constantly smelled of urine.

Yeah, the downtown YMCA is 'aight. Was always packed in the weight room though.

possibledj

TRIBE Promoter
I hate the locker room at the U of T athletic centre. There are all these old exhibitionist dudes who like to parade around naked as the day they were born (80 years ago). Fine, it's a mens locker room, but it's the people who walk from the shower to their locker buck naked with a towel thrown over their shoulders. we get that you're comfortable with you disgusting, shrivelled self, but maybe everyone else isn't.

OTIS

TRIBE Member
geminigirl said:
A message to all the stinky fuckers who sweat all over the cardio and then don't even wipe it down. God damnitt take a shower you disgusting pigs and clean off the equipment like everyone else.

At my old gym there were these older men that looked(and smelled!) like they haven't showered in a couple of days and then worked out.

I take a shower in the morning before I start the day. So I am always showered before my work out. I would feel so gross working out without a shower and then sweating all over the equipment that other people use.

Pisssssss me off.

They probably smelled because they haven't washed their gym clothes, not because they haven't showered.

kline

TRIBE Member
Flashy_McFlash said:
Not true! Or at least I don't mind getting it. My technique is generally not good enough to offer tips to anyone else though.
this is exactly why i don't go to the gym. i need someone to show me how to do what as the last time i tried to self-educate i ended up with tendinitis.