• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Guys (and hairy girls) what is your favorite razor?

TraNceAhoLic

TRIBE Member
Rajio said:
212GcZtObxL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

^ not constantly throwing away fists full of plastic ^

...and works as well / better

this sounds cool.......

I may be stupid, but sometimes i can't even tell which way the grain is going.....Doen't shaving against the grain, give you a closer shave?

Rajio

Well-Known TRIBEr
Boss Hog said:
how do you safely dispose of the blades?

the blades often come in a case which has a compartment for used blades.
if you get blades without such a case, i used to wrap them in a peice of paper or TP before tossing out but now I have a little envelope I made out of 2 layers of tinfoil so I put used ones in there then recycle the blades the same way you do with any household steel/metal.

TraNceAhoLic said:
this sounds cool.......

I may be stupid, but sometimes i can't even tell which way the grain is going.....Doen't shaving against the grain, give you a closer shave?

feel with your hand. more friction = agaisnt the grain. shaving against the grain can give you ingrown hairs. not reccomended for healthy skin (atleast not on your face)

lol youtube is great for too much information on shaving:

Last edited:
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

djglobalkiller

TRIBE Promoter
fusion, with the ultra sensitive fusion facecream.. after i use nivea for men aftershave lotion...

and yes, i shave before i shower but i do use the hottest water to moisturize before i put on shaving cream, and i use the hottest water to rinse the blade.... fusion blades last about a month each but are $40 for 8

Rude1_247

TRIBE Member
Deep has raved about the safety razor for as long as razor threads have been around on the board. I keep meaning to try it out but can never find somewhere that sells the actual tool.

I used to have a really big problem with irritation/rashes, but recently it's been like butter. I switched up my routine to include the following:
  • Never shave within the first 20 minutes of waking up, your face swells at night and your hair follicles get skewed... your face needs time to wake up and decrease the swelling
  • Hot shower or hot towel wrap where the skin is exposed to hot water for at least 5 minutes (I'd read that this is how long it takes for your hair to soak up the moisture from the water)
  • Leaving your face wet, run a shaving brush under hot water, spray some quality shaving cream in your hand (the cream that will work best for you is a function of your skin's type... try sampling a few higher end ones to get your fix), lather the cream with the brush and run the hot brush in wide strokes across your shaving area
  • Use a titanium blade shaver (I use the schick quattro titanium trimmer as it also has a motorized trimming attachment for cleaning up the burns and goatee), and stroke *with* the grain... if you've followed the first few steps correctly than you don't have to worry about not getting a close enough shave.
  • Take a lesson from barbershops that do the traditional straight-razor shave and stretch and pull your skin to expose as much of the hair as possible. You'll learn which ways you'll need to pull as you go through it, it's different for everyone.
  • Take your time! Give yoruself at least 10 minutes to get the job done right.
  • Rinse your blade in hot water after every stroke and make sure it's clear of any hair before your next stroke, this will reduce drag and ensure your edge is sharp
  • Immediately rinse your face with cold water
  • Pat-dry your face, don't rub.
  • Immediately apply a good aftershave lotion that matches your skin type (I use a L'Oreal for Men cream that works well)
  • Change your razor regularly
edit: bold parts added for emphasis and extra douchery.

Last edited:

basilisk

TRIBE Member
I seem to get by all right with a dash hot water and whatever razor is handy (as long as it ain't so dull). Like many other areas of personal hygiene I think the industry has hyped up all sorts of crap that you don't really need just to make a profit. Shaving cream, for example. Does anyone actually need that shit? I'll admit there might be some special cases but for many of us, probably not.

thom100

TRIBE Member
basilisk said:
I seem to get by all right with a dash hot water and whatever razor is handy (as long as it ain't so dull). Like many other areas of personal hygiene I think the industry has hyped up all sorts of crap that you don't really need just to make a profit. Shaving cream, for example. Does anyone actually need that shit? I'll admit there might be some special cases but for many of us, probably not.

fucking hell, you can shave without cream?!?!?

that is asking to mess your face up.

I would absolutely say it the exception to not need it, not the rule.

I've never had a better razor than the Fusion.

Last edited:

gasper

TRIBE Member
Shaving cream is a scam? I don't feel that bad about being duped out of $3.99 every 4-6 months. :) Multi-blade razors, on the other hand, do make me feel duped large.

lok

TRIBE Member
lol are you people pre-pubescent? if I shave with the grain I might as well not shave at all.. my entire face will have stubble.

furthermore, the best way is perpendicular to the grain.. its the closest shave.

3 blades for the face definitely helps lower my overall 'strokes'.. closer? questionable. other factors are more important.

lok

TRIBE Member
I also highly recommend shaving in the shower with a mirror and just staying under the water.. most of the razors have their own lubricants and with running water on the face you dont need anything else..
its close, fast and pretty much the best

zoo

TRIBE Member
i use whatever is cheap or free in terms of what razer i shave with. sometimes it hurts, sometimes it doesn't. right after a shower is usually the best time. i like shaving cream (gel), but i don't necessarily have to use it; water can also be sufficient. i tried shaving oil once, but found it too messy. the closest shave is when you go over the area many times, in all directions. i don't shave every day because it's a huge nuisance, so i have 5'clock-->stubble-->beard for all but 2 days a week.