• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Guvernment complex closing?!?!?!

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

litespeed

Well-Known TRIBEr
I am sad to see it go as well, but I understand why Charles is doing it. I am pretty sure if he had not taken it over it would have closed years ago.

I have fond memories of many wicked raves in the complex, and some great concerts.

they're not closing of their own free will. The building was sold from under them. By the time they figured it out and tried to purchase it, it was too late.

The party is moving to sound academy which they took over last year. They will apparently be doing a massive renovation there. Saturday nights will be called "The Guvernment"

derek

TRIBE Member
best party i went to in that space with better days 'land of milk and honey'. probably 96

i use to go there on sundays in the mid 80s when chris sheppard did his thing.

Snuffy

TRIBE Member
19 years old
Free limousine shuttle
Le Chateau PVC Pants

Guvernment Fridays!

(Lasted a few months only because the gay community was too cheap to pay a $10 cover for the best newly renovated venue in North America)

[YOUTUBE]TYWYDJNzPCw[/YOUTUBE]

Rage

TRIBE Member
Memory that always sticks out - the very 1st Labor Of Love or Summer's End, whatever it was back then when Derrick Carter killed it up on the Skybar. At one point it started raining & people lost their minds.

Haven't been in a long time, at least 15 years but still sad to see an institution like that go by the way-side. Always ranked high on every single "Best Club" in the world polls.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

coleridge

TRIBE Member
they're not closing of their own free will. The building was sold from under them. By the time they figured it out and tried to purchase it, it was too late.

The party is moving to sound academy which they took over last year. They will apparently be doing a massive renovation there. Saturday nights will be called "The Guvernment"
I know Charles said he tried to work out a deal to buy it but honestly I doubt he would have been able to afford the land. That area is becoming the new East Bayfront community. It's going to be mixed commercial and residential zoning. Mixed zoning spells the end of nightclubs so even if they were able to hold on to it they probably only would have gone another 3-5 years max.

It's a huge loss as a concert venue.

djcheezwhiz

TRIBE Member
Finally made it back to see this thread. Like many, my memories of the Guvernment really started as RPM. All ages Sundays and many cool nights at the end of the 80's early 90's ( the buffet).

One of my first memorable nights there was seeing the Prodigy for the Out of Space tour. Almost didn't go on as I believe it Keith was otherwise engaged. Caught a really early Plus 8 show (quite possibly same night as Prodigy). Didn't go for many years, but did go occasionally in the late 90's to the Friday night hip hop nights with some of my Scarborough buds.

Around the same time I had been going to Industry and never dreamed of going to the Guvernment for their Saturday parties. I remember going one Saturday night around 1999, 2000 and the Tune signs were out in full effect (I think it was Coleridge carrying it around :) ). The feeling was quite contagious and I spent many Saturdays dancing to Mark's tunes.

Some of my favourite shows -- first Science party (awesome), Deep Dish GU party, and seeing Blur/Oasis in the Warehouse. Also spent some Sundays there for the roller skating party. Was there just last year for My Bloody Valentine and it felt like I had never been away.

Great memories and with the Guvernment closing all my connections to a really fun party/dancing life are now closed ( well except for Dance Cave :)).

kyfe

TRIBE Member
Dancing with Tenaglia in front of the DJ booth while he was playing
Sasha and Diggers northern exposure tour Canada Day weekend 1999
Tiesto's first Toronto appearance when he wasn't a big draw
Deep Dish GU tour
Lawler sunrise session
Underworld
Tricky playing with his back turned to the crowd
Armin Van Helden dropping Hip HOP much to the surprise of the crowd
Radioheads first Toronto gig
Soup Dragons only gig
Fatboy Slim in the Warehouse
-
And a special mention to Spin Saturdays with Mark Oliver, dude played almost every Saturday for years and always brought it, many nights just listening to him destroy the dance floor

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
Concerts.
Underworld.
Prodigy.
Chemical Brothers. ( hanging with them in the Orange room after the gig was excellent ).
Bush(x).
Garbage.
LCD Soundsystem. HOT.
Ministry.
INXS ( just before he died ).

Guv.
Sasha / Paolo Mojo.

Orange Room.
Just about every Breaks dj i've ever liked.

If all concerts are being morphed into the Sound Academy, we're in big trouble.

zoo

TRIBE Member
I've always had a love/hate relationship with the Guv, but there were always more good times than bad. I went to The Knife's concert last month at the Kool Haus, and thinking back, I feel like I've been visiting the complex for one reason or another annually for the past 15 years. Time flies!

Mr. Magyar

TRIBE Member
This is retarded. How does that constitute the building being sold from under them? It isn't as if the building's owners were obligated to sell to them, let alone consult them.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
ev...i heard about this last year. ample time for the owner of the Guv( who also knew ) to work something out.
fail.