• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Guvernment complex closing?!?!?!

Michael Drury

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by JESuX
Hmmm... Does anyone know about what's up with the new venue at Peter and Adelaide?

They just remodelled the exterior of a building on the West hand side of Peter... They've been going at it for weeks now. It looks kinda like a big lego block now. Very suspicious, methinks.

The place you were talking about Mr Furious, is that just a re-hash of the old Tropicana venue?

And on a related note, what's happened to "X-It"?
I've been playing around this block long enough to put my million dollars on this venue being a big gino club.

Regardless, there isn't enough people in this city to fill another superclub. In order for this space to survive they will essentially have to shut a number of other venues down to survive.

It ain't cheap real estate!

Merry Christmas,
Drury

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
But I have a very reliable source, who has a brother who once got flipped the bird while passing Charles Khabouth on the sidewalk.

Don't be tellin' me these rumours ain't true! :)

billy

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by TaCk OnE?
why would they tear down that club to put up condos?

there's miles of wasteland down by the gardiner...it doesn't make sense for them to put one up there, it's not like it's super prime land or anything.
no one can build on that land at the moment because it's fairly contaminated. that was the irony when home depot had tent city shut town but they couldn't even build on the land.

Last edited:
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
i have a ton of great memories there over the last 2 decades, and have attended at least 5 events there in the last year.

this is sad news.

Snuffy

TRIBE Member
This is so sad. Although I never go there anymore, the fact that it was there made me feel like everything was alright and good with Toronto.

Now I'm old.

OLD

Brandon

TRIBE Member
My first Toronto clubbing experience was at RPM almost 20 years ago, and my first big Toronto raving experience was at the Warehouse (United Dance!). It's been at least 15 years since I last darkened its doors, but there's still some sentimental attachment there for sure.

I was in town for the Kraftwerk show in March and took a walk down to the waterfront, and there it was like an old friend, complete with a lineup of teens that snaked around the corner. They were lined up for a band I had never heard of. It'll be missed!

Metal Morphosis

TRIBE Member
Met the guy who would eventually become my husband & baby daddy at the koolhaus just over 12 yrs ago. Max, Sander, Sasha, Deep Dish... Lots of great memories for sure.

peko

TRIBE Member
My first Toronto clubbing experience was at RPM almost 20 years ago, and my first big Toronto raving experience was at the Warehouse (United Dance!). It's been at least 15 years since I last darkened its doors, but there's still some sentimental attachment there for sure.

I was in town for the Kraftwerk show in March and took a walk down to the waterfront, and there it was like an old friend, complete with a lineup of teens that snaked around the corner. They were lined up for a band I had never heard of. It'll be missed!
My first Warehouse experience was INXS. Kim Mitchell was standing beside us throughout the show. ooooOooh wow, so long ago.

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
Had many an epic night there. Last time was for Underworld in 08 I believe.
yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I'll never forget LCD Soundsystem tearing the Kool Haus a new one.
also seeing INXS play their last gig, 2 weeks before he went all Gucci.
I'll also never forget seeing someone go face first down those metal stairs in the Guv.
Also heard some sweriously fantastic djs, especially great breaks nights in the Orange Room.
I haven't been there in at least 4-5 years, so it really won't be missed by me.
#tiestofistpunchinair

WestsideWax

TRIBE Promoter
I haven't been to the Guv/KH in ages, probably not since the 90s - Gemini and Richie Hawtin is the last show that comes to mind. My first experience in that space was back in the RPM days as well - all ages nights in the mid-80s, then Psychedelic Sundays, which were always a gong show. I know I saw My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult at KH, and I seem to recall catching KMFDM there, too, though I could have my venues confused.

Feedback over the last couple of years is that it's generally turned into a cheesefest, booking-wise. I'm sure the property will make for a lovely condominium.

edit: KMFDM were at the Warehouse, not KH, back in '92.

Last edited:

praktik

TRIBE Member
My last two times there were inflicted by a stench of poo.

Speedy J - (in that little one on the side, "the gallery?") - bathroom backs up - bathroom is right on the dancefloor - poo smell everywhere.

Self impose a ban on attendance - all the staff were shit too so it was shitty experience. Srsly.

Break the ban for Hawtin/Canada day event some years later. This time we were wandering the whole complex - but I couldn't even wait in line to urinate once cause the poo stench was SO overpowering. Ended up seeking refuge up on the top floor where I could pee with a normal amount of poo smell, instead of make-your-eyes-water type smell... Figure maybe the drug use is so heavily slanted to cocaine and speedy stuff that people's bowels just liquify there?

Probably the Poo Factor was combo of that and just numbers - pile enough people in and anyplace will begin to smell like poo.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I am sad to see it go as well, but I understand why Charles is doing it. I am pretty sure if he had not taken it over it would have closed years ago.

I have fond memories of many wicked raves in the complex, and some great concerts.

bucky

TRIBE Member
Memories and the lack of memories. Surprising yet awesome that it's lasted this long. I've had as much fun going there in recent years as I did the first time I went in 2000.

lobo

TRIBE Member
Wow I was surprised it was still open. Like others, my first real experience with the place was when it was RPM and I remember dancing to some techno (maybe James Brown Is Dead). Lots of going back there throughout the 90s and a little bit into the early 00s. Lots of good and bad memories but definitely had lots of fun with the gang that we would go out with. One of the best times was going there for Halloween and being dressed as a cop. You definitely get the girls' attention that way. It was also the night I pounded back 9 Mike's Hard Lemonade and did rails off this chick's tits. Ahh good times.

Lobo