• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Guvernment complex closing?!?!?!

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by chipotle

where would sasha and digweed play? where else would you find a phazon system in this city?
that system kicks ass.
They could play at Plastique.

windowlicker

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by JESuX
Hmmm... Does anyone know about what's up with the new venue at Peter and Adelaide?

They just remodelled the exterior of a building on the West hand side of Peter... They've been going at it for weeks now. It looks kinda like a big lego block now. Very suspicious, methinks.
Yeah I was wondering about that- my window looks directly onto construction

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by chipotle
you can play with your plastique with your bf.
Oooooooooooooooooooooh FACE GUY, FACE.

Yeah, well, I would play with his plastic if you stayed away long enough for him to even drop trou you yellow-faced cretin.

man_slut

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Mr_Furious
We're supposed to have a new superclub opening up in the Dundas and Spadina location.

It's called Boa Redux (sp?)?
How will this place stay open? They open at 1am and serve no alcohol. My buddy SJN believes the cops will shut this place down quick.

Originally posted by KickIT
I always thought that Charles actually didn't own the Guv but leased the space. However he was smart enough to buy the parking lot spaces around the Guv. Maybe that's what's being sold as its right on the water front.

*c*
I agree. I am pretty sure he owns the lots around it, not sure about the space in and of itself. This is just what I heard though, take it for what it is worth.

Why would Charles sell? Well, among other things:

-he is in his 40's, I can't imagine he wants to continue to live in nightclubs all the time. the guy is pretty hands on with the guv, would you want to be there all the time and running shit for so many years?

-he has made his money and then some from that club (keep in mind I believe he also used to own Still Life back in the day, which was the best club in its day).

-he has other things going on (HB boutique & other bars)

-he probably was made a pretty good $$$$ offer

Nothing can last forever......

KickIT

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by aki
what bar did he open on queen west?
He's openning Charlies in the old space that Bamboo was. I think its supposed to be an upscale bar/restaurant when its all said and done.

*c*

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
that kind of sucks. even though i don't attend the place, it did fill a niche. And it was one of the few complexes that was big enough to bring in large lineups for special events and still have pristine sound.

Nesta

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by JESuX
Hmmm... Does anyone know about what's up with the new venue at Peter and Adelaide?

They just remodelled the exterior of a building on the West hand side of Peter... They've been going at it for weeks now. It looks kinda like a big lego block now. Very suspicious, methinks.

i can see it from my office window. blue and black ordeal. looks promising.

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
Jeremy, i am having trouble picturing what place you're talking about on Spadina.
can you give me a landmark or something? i know the area fairly well, but i dont think i'm familiar with the theatre you mentioned.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by man_slut
How will this place stay open? They open at 1am and serve no alcohol. My buddy SJN believes the cops will shut this place down quick.
Why?

KickIT

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Booty Bits
Jeremy, i am having trouble picturing what place you're talking about on Spadina.
can you give me a landmark or something? i know the area fairly well, but i dont think i'm familiar with the theatre you mentioned.

Its on the south/west corner of Spadina and Dundas. Right beside Pho88. You can see the Fareast Theater sign.

*c*

Jeremy Jive

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Booty Bits
There are two malls on the west side of spadina and south of dundas. The one on the southwest corner of dunas + spadina is the dragon centre. The one further south is the China Town Centre. Just between them and attached to the southern corner of the Dragon Centre is an old theatre complex called Far East Theatre. it has a red sign with yellow or white writing. This is the venue space as far as I know. Since I've never seen anyone go in our out or any activity or noise, I am sceptical.

jeremy -hope that helps- jive

JAR

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by MoFo
Why?
if you open at 1am, stay open all night and don't serve alcohol, it's pretty obvious there is lots of drug dealing going on in the club, that's why.

kerouacdude

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by TaCk OnE?
why would they tear down that club to put up condos?

there's miles of wasteland down by the gardiner...it doesn't make sense for them to put one up there, it's not like it's super prime land or anything.
???
it's across the street from Loblaws, down the street from Harbourfront, near downtown, a short drive to the Beaches, easy accesss to the Gardiner/Lakeshore/DVP.

kmac

TRIBE Member
I saw on Guv's site that they bought (or leased) the Knob Hill by the Docks to hold a flea market. Or did I just dream that?

Mr_Furious

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Bass-Invader
that kind of sucks. even though i don't attend the place, it did fill a niche. And it was one of the few complexes that was big enough to bring in large lineups for special events and still have pristine sound.
I think this just about sums it up.

The patrons really sucked, but they had great parties, and great DJ line-ups.

Not to mention a kickass sound system.

JESuX

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Nesta
i can see it from my office window. blue and black ordeal. looks promising.
Where do you work?

Windowlicker and I work in the same building, I suspect we might even have the same view.

Do you know the commodore building?

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by JAR
if you open at 1am, stay open all night and don't serve alcohol, it's pretty obvious there is lots of drug dealing going on in the club, that's why.
Ah. The reason why I ask is because Montreal is pretty much an after-hours place and System, CoZo still exist with no problems.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Jeremy
There are two malls on the west side of spadina and south of dundas. The one on the southwest corner of dunas + spadina is the dragon centre. The one further south is the China Town Centre. Just between them and attached to the southern corner of the Dragon Centre is an old theatre complex called Far East Theatre. it has a red sign with yellow or white writing. This is the venue space as far as I know. Since I've never seen anyone go in our out or any activity or noise, I am sceptical.

jeremy -hope that helps- jive
Perfect. We can go to Pho 88 after which is right next door! :D

My dad used to take me there as a kid to watch weekend matinees.