• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Guvernment 9 Year

Lurker

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by bombthreat23
was it a remix? anyone know what this is?
It was just the openning guitar riff that sounded like it was looped. Can't remember what it mixed into though. Nice touch for sure.

MissBlu

TRIBE Member
lol...what are you like 16? COOOOOOOXXXXXXXXXXX OOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWNNNNNNNSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS MAN! takes Oakie down! not even close! what are you a poser? how could you like oakie man...have you heard Cox man? sorry just teasing, couldn't resist...hey to each their own.

almost post... not even worth it...

MissBlu

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Lurker
It was just the openning guitar riff that sounded like it was looped. Can't remember what it mixed into though. Nice touch for sure.
It did sound like it was looped at the beginning, but after that it sounded like the original....
Great track anyway... It was fun to hear Metallica...

Chubbs

TRIBE Member
Damn I would love if Cox's set was recorded and released :D

I would pay some serious cash to go mental to that set a few more times.

I havent felt glued to a dancefloor like that in YEARS!

Anyone have any more trainspotted Cox tracks?

bombthreat23

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Chubbs
Damn I would love if Cox's set was recorded and released :D

I would pay some serious cash to go mental to that set a few more times.

I havent felt glued to a dancefloor like that in YEARS!

Anyone have any more trainspotted Cox tracks?
got these from tranceaddict.com

Hiroki Esashika - Kazane (Sebastien Leger's Psyche remix)
Alloy Mental - Alloy Mental (Liebing mix) aka Nitzer Ebb - Fire (Liebing remix)
Cohen vs. Deluxe - Just Kick
Scissor Sisters - Comfortably Numb (Paper Faces mix)
Tomaz & Filterheadz - Sunshine
Josh Wink - 516 acid
Greg Churchill - Nolas Scream
Cirez D - Knockout
gouryella - gouryella
dogzilla - without you
thirlseekers - synthesia (ferry mix)
ferry - cubikated
ferry - its time (flashover mix)
veracocha - carte blanhe
U2 - streets have no name (nunrg)
the drill - the drill
ferry & thrillseekers - sublime
FB - whos knocking (ferry mix)
police - sos (sander van doorn mix)
purple haze - adrenaline
ferry corsten - punk
airbiscuit - lately (riley durrant mix)
racheal star - till there was you (12 step mix)
BT - force of gravity (ferry mix)
marc marburg - guarana
ferry - fire (flashover remix)
ferry - rock your body rock
system f - underwater
ronski speed -2day
smith & pledger - northern lights
marksun & brian - neno itome (stone face mix??)
system f - insolation
system f - out of the blue
miss ann - dreamland

Skipper

TRIBE Member
Hiroki Esashika - Kazane (Sebastien Leger's Psyche remix)
Alloy Mental - Alloy Mental (Liebing mix) aka Nitzer Ebb - Fire (Liebing remix)
Cohen vs. Deluxe - Just Kick
Scissor Sisters - Comfortably Numb (Paper Faces mix)
Tomaz & Filterheadz - Sunshine
Josh Wink - 516 acid

^^

Those were from Carl, the rest are all trance.
That wink track was ridiculous at 7am

acid
*thump thump thump 303 squeal thump*
ACID
*thump thump thump 303 squeal thump*
ACID HOUUUUUUUSE

bombthreat23

TRIBE Member
oh it is the old tired and true response...read it somewhere else on here, thought it looked cool, wrote it again...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. COX OWNS!!!!

Agent Smith

TRIBE Member
oh it is the old tired and true response...read it somewhere else on here, thought it looked cool, wrote it again...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. COX OWNS!!!!
You didn't answer my question... do you spin records?

Chris

Well-Known TRIBEr
An Average Night?

Going to catch some flack, but would have to agree. I camped out in the KH for most of the night and was frankly unimpressed with Burridge, Im not a big fan of his sound. I was expecting more of a "trance" set from Timo, but nothing. I too kept waiting for a build, but was kept waiting.

As for Ferry? How could you not be impressed, the man definitely picked up the crowd, tune after tune. Definitely better than his last set here. My only complaint? Waiting to 4am to hear his set.

Better than Labour of Love? No
Better than Decadance, not by a long shot
Oakenfold, no way
Above and Beyond, not a chance.

Kicking myself for not catching more of Hawtin and Cox's set.

bombthreat23

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Agent Smith
You didn't answer my question... do you spin records?
sorry, yes I do...I have been in this industry for around 15 years promoting raves from way back in the day when they were still illegal out in vancouver...I am not a real dj by any means just at home for fun. I do know quite a bit about it tho. I do also however have quite a few friends that dj, and only dj for a living and they KNOW what they are talking about, and this topic has come up many a t ime. I have hit up the winter music conference 6 years running now, both as industry and fan..should I keep going? are my credentials good enough for you to speak my mind? I am just sick and tired of hitting up parties and the next dad reading a review that there was some trainwreck going on with dj whoever and there wasn't...i feel people are just posting stuff like this so they can sound like they know what they are talking about, never...ever...not even once has some said specifically, this is what I am talking about... all I am asking from you is ONE example. just one. I know the difficulties in mixing, I understand the difference in mixing trance and the length of the record, and the lead ins...what I am telling you is that Oakenfold is NOT a bad mixer...I have seen him 20 odd times over the years and have not seen ONE train wreck...that said is he my fav dj? no not by a long shot...would I rather see cox, yes. just find it kinda funny all the bashing on his mixing skills. should we take this topic else where cause it is interesting and doesn't need to be a fight, I would be very interested in hearing your opinion on this...should we start a new thread? maybe I am missing something, I am by no means a technical genius when it comes to mixing...this is just my 2 cents...

Agent Smith

TRIBE Member
Whew! Quite the response! Well, given your extensive experience in the industry across a variety of genres, you should know that your statement earlier in this thread:

"I mean I have heard people bash his mixing skills...so stupid, you may not like his music, but the guy can mix with the best of them...."

... is a giant load of crap. Comparing a Trance dj's mixing to the best djs in breaks, DnB, house and techno is ludicrous. The mixing skills used in trance are infantile compared to other genres. I'm not knocking trance here... I'm just saying that the technical skills required to play it are limited. Programming is the key.

So, dear sir, that is why I truly don't believe that Oakenfold can "mix with the best of them." Mixing was never his strength, nor will it ever be his strength.

Last edited:

bombthreat23

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by MissBlu
So bombthreat23...
Are your opinions the only ones that count??!?!?!
You seem to get so excited...
i wrote above...
should we take this topic else where cause it is interesting and doesn't need to be a fight, I would be very interested in hearing your opinion on this...should we start a new thread? maybe I am missing something, I am by no means a technical genius when it comes to mixing...this is just my 2 cents...

you can read right?

Last edited:

bombthreat23

TRIBE Member
Whew! Quite the response! Well, given your extensive experience in the industry across a variety of genres, you should know that your statement earlier in this thread:

"I mean I have heard people bash his mixing skills...so stupid, you may not like his music, but the guy can mix with the best of them...."

... is a giant load of crap. Comparing a Trance dj's mixing to the best djs in breaks, DnB, house and techno is ludicrous. The mixing skills used in trance are infantile compared to other genres. I'm not knocking trance here... I'm just saying that the technical skills required to play it are limited. Programming is the key.

So, dear sir, that is why I truly don't believe that Oakenfold can "mix with the best of them." That has not, nor will not, ever be his strength.
umm I didn't think we were going cross genre here...sorry my understanding was that you were bashing Oakenfold as a trance dj...my comment was that as a dj that spins trance he is just as good as mixing as any other dj that spins trance. you can't compare apples and oranges....I guess your statment, according to your post above and your comments should have read "trance dj's can't mix" this is a different arguement...so which is it?

MissBlu

TRIBE Member
umm I didn't think we were going cross genre here...sorry my understanding was that you were bashing Oakenfold as a trance dj...my comment was that as a dj that spins trance he is just as good as mixing as any other dj that spins trance. you can't compare apples and oranges....I guess your statment, according to your post above and your comments should have read "trance dj's can't mix" this is a different arguement...so which is it?
Ummm... where did you say that?!?! I thought we were talking about Oakenfold as a DJ... I thought we were talking about DJ's....

bombthreat23

TRIBE Member
Start a new thread...
lets do it as I would be interested in following this up a little... what do we call it..and where? I am totally open to chaning my mind here...maybe I am missing something...

Agent Smith

TRIBE Member
This whole argument started as a comparison between Carl Cox and Oakenfold, which is a cross-genre comparison. I then expanded it to include Farina, Carter, and other djs.

At what point did you NOT think we were talking about dj mixing skills as a whole.

You're backpeddling like a pro here.

You never limited the conversation to trance.

bombthreat23

TRIBE Member
Ummm... where did you say that?!?! I thought we were talking about Oakenfold as a DJ... I thought we were talking about DJ's....
I am getting confused...
are you guys saying that as a trance dj you can't be a good mixer cause you should be more worried about programming? thus oakie as a trance dj is a bad mixer? as is all trance dj's by the nature of the records they spin?

bombthreat23

TRIBE Member
This whole argument started as a comparison between Carl Cox and Oakenfold, which is a cross-genre comparison. I then expanded it to include Farina, Carter, and other djs.

At what point did you NOT think we were talking about dj mixing skills as a whole.

You're backpeddling like a pro here.

You never limited the conversation to trance.
not at all...you said oakenfold is a terrible mixer...i am saying he isn't. I am trying to see if you actually belive what you are writting that because he is a trance dj he is a bad mixer...logical conclusion of your above arguement....

Agent Smith

TRIBE Member
not at all...you said oakenfold is a terrible mixer...i am saying he isn't. I am trying to see if you actually belive what you are writting that because he is a trance dj he is a bad mixer...logical conclusion of your above arguement....
Even compared to other trance djs right now (Armin, Ferry), Oakenfold's mixing isn't up to par.

So, to summarize:

1) Oakenfold is not one of the best mixers in the world... no trance dj takes that honor
2) Even within his genre, he is not at the top of the game

As I said before, this was different from about 1997-1999. He was on top of his game and pioneering the trance sound. Not any more.

groovespinna

TRIBE Member
yeah, so....
Manzone and Strong and Addy really kicked ass.

(fuck trance and what trance dj is better. there was no trance at this party. the end)