• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Guvernment 9 Year

swilly

TRIBE Member
Damn zach you were there!

So Jealous!!!!!

Oh well jeff mills is here this weekend same as jamirouqui maybe it balances out.

Peace out my Guyaniese indian brotha

Swillyo Sano

CosmicbOi

TRIBE Member
hey look it's swilly!

he eats so much maki so they call him mr. saki...

(oh yea..zach and i are gonna buy tickets soon to come visit u..)

yea techno

nick

Lurker

TRIBE Member
I (L) Techno.

Great night, Hawtin & Cox were awesome. Our group left around 9ish.

I logged on to work for 10 mins, made a couple calls, sent some emails. My work for the day is done. Stupid Americans not taking Columbus day off making me work on my day off dammit!

Anyways, Cox was only the second dj I've seen (Sven Vath being the other one), that makes DJ'ing look so damn effortless. I mean effortless to the point of not even having the concentrate or think about it.

He was just rockin' out, rarely looking down at the gear, always smiling!

So happy I finally saw him play.

ugh, where's my beer?

Paul

Skipper

TRIBE Member
what an epic night. not sure I'm really composed enough to write a review, but holy fucking carl cox!! and richie dropping Ignacio's virton - made me a happy camper, even though I thought everything up til 230am was total crap. (sorry greg)

SKIB

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Lurker

Anyways, Cox was only the second dj I've seen (Sven Vath being the other one), that makes DJ'ing look so damn effortless. I mean effortless to the point of not even having the concentrate or think about it.
so true... it's actually rather fascinating...

unfortunately this party just wasn't in the cards for me but i would've loved to see carl cox again... he doesn't come to TO enough :(

i'd love to see him in kool haus...

preacherman

TRIBE Member
A Ferry Ferry Good Time

Phew!!! Another evening that just left you speechless - If Dj's were pitchers the all star line up was in the Koolhaus - and the closer would be Carl Cox - Nothing but strikes from where I was dancing - and dancers came to swing - Mark got the night going giving the crowd good filler to get their legs warmed up - Burridge snuck up behind him and unloaded on us - Timo - well my first time seeing this guy and he brought the transition to prep Ferry who in great fashion continued on where Timo left off and took it to his level. The energy was right in front of the set up - it as if they were playing goalie and we were sitting in the crease - stepped out to get a breath of of fresh air and on the way back to the Haus I was fortunate to enough to see Cox open his set - the stage set up was excellent - I would have stayed but the sound at the Koolhaus had a hold on me the whole night - plenty of room to move those happy feet and great crowd to dance with - I thought Seaman couldn't be topped well this night pulled it out in the bottom of the 9th - and the home team went away winners - To the Pacific Avenue Posse and our new accomplices and the many great dancers we partied with along the way - I look forward to being with you all again real soon.

"We are not here to get to know one another but to just dance with one another - there is no greater form of communication" - The Preacherman

lockedgruv

TRIBE Member
Carl Cox never took his foot off the gas pedal all night err morning...punishing! we left @ 8 and it was still goin strong!

loved Burridge in KH and scored a "365" CD from him...trainspotted some but the ears fell off later on in the night

great night :)

P.S. Coxy had a Tenaglia-like attraction from other T.O. DJ's spotted partying with the rest of us

Invasionmix

TRIBE Member
i went to the saturday one with infected mushrooms, this was my worst guv experience ever!

1) everyone was so fucking pushy, not like the normal push to get through, but the type where they use their shoulder and pushed, im a bigger guy i just push them back and they get pissed, but my friends are girls and they were getting trampled on.

2) ok infected mushrooms are jewish, thats ok, but whats up with all the jewish people there yelling "israel, israel, israel" and waving their star of david flag?

the music sucked when they came on, trance/house music sounds weird with a live band. it only got good when mark oliver came on after, blasting heavy and favourite beats. started off with dave 202 - you know what and followed by blue monday 2005 but i was too pissed off from all the pushing i left

litespeed

Well-Known TRIBEr
awsome party last night... busy but not super rammed.

everyone I encountered was very friendly and happy. Lee burridge rocked it in the kool haus... caught a bit of K-Swing in the Orange Room and she was rocking it out to... also caught a bit of Hawtin in the Guv and was surpised that he didn't suck like the last couple of times I saw him :p

I decided to make it an early night and didn't stick around for Coxy or Timo... wish I had, but they'll be back, and if they aren't I'll still see them both in Miami this year anyway ;)

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Not bad. Hawtin was "ok", Carl Cox was hitting it hard and was the most fun to watch, but John Aquaviva was the man who stole the show.

MissBlu

TRIBE Member
Hawtin was just a bit too minimal for me to dance too... Breaks were kickin it... Had too much fun... We left at 4:30... Too hard to appriciate Cox when you have to stand at the side pushing people off of ya... If I had half a brian today, I would write more... Maybe tomorrow!

angelsole

TRIBE Member
well as to be expected there where sooo many people at this party! the pushing and shoving in the guv made me go mental. i tried to get into the groove but it was so tough with people pushing you back and forth. i had a hard time finding music i could really get into. around 4 i finally caught my groove. i think it was because i was on different ride than my friends and eventually just ditched them in the guv to go listen to some trance. ferry was okay at first and then by 5:30 he was awesome!!!! i met a ton of people, of course i don't remember their names :p, overall i had a good time. didn't leave til almost 7 so it can't have been bad!

MissBlu

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by MissBlu
Hawtin was just a bit too minimal for me to dance too... Breaks were kickin it... Had too much fun... We left at 4:30... Too hard to appriciate Cox when you have to stand at the side pushing people off of ya... If I had half a brian today, I would write more... Maybe tomorrow!

brain I mean brain

Preroller

TRIBE Member
I need to get a T-Shirt that says "Carl Cox just kicked my ass"

We left at 7:30 or so...had a few chill beers, went to a family shindig, still haven't been to bed...better review to come later.

PS Nice to see a ton of people, and I must say the ladies were stunning and shakin it 'ardcore ;)

Krzysiu

TRIBE Member
wah! wanted to go see carl cox (still on my list of jerks with records to see) but instead had to settle for playing with puppies and kitties!

carl cox = snuffling with puppies? maybe?? :D

pics?

mondo

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by Skipper
what an epic night. not sure I'm really composed enough to write a review, but holy fucking carl cox!! and richie dropping Ignacio's virton - made me a happy camper, even though I thought everything up til 230am was total crap. (sorry greg)

... Who dj'ed till 2:30? Who is Greg that you speak of?

I ask because I would never set foot in a place that is so packed that the personal safety of everyone is at risk.

derek

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by mondo
... Who dj'ed till 2:30? Who is Greg that you speak of?

I ask because I would never set foot in a place that is so packed that the personal safety of everyone is at risk.
greg gow; wicked local, maybe he was having a off night.

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Invasionmix

2) ok infected mushrooms are jewish, thats ok, but whats up with all the jewish people there yelling "israel, israel, israel" and waving their star of david flag?
IM are israeli (there is a distinction between being jewish and being israeli), and people were waving the israeli flag...
isn't that the same as a dutch fan going to see tiesto and waving a flag of the netherlands?
is that so weird?

Skipper

TRIBE Member
Greg played 930-1130
Loco Dice 1130-1
Hawtin 1-330
Cox 330-close (9am was when we left)

Greg didn't play a bad set - he was just opening for Loco who played along accordingly, throwing down over an hour of "progressive techno." I just can't get my groove on after standing in the crowd for 2 hours listening to 130bpm blurps and bleeps.

Finally when Richie dropped "Virtron" the music seemed to pick up from there - techno, tech house and some acid. Lots of builds both in Hawtin's set and Carl's.

I found the crowd at the end of Hawtin's set and through to about 5:30 or 6 to be absolutely unbearable. This would have been disappointing if it had closed at 6:30 but when we left at 9 (NINE FUCKING AM...I couldnt believe it! heard the night ended at 930am) the music was so, so good and showed no signs of stopping.

Good line up control/organization at the start of the night - we were in quickly.

Awful use of a bullhorn and a giant "train horn" sound which blared through guvernment quite a few times and scared the crap out of me each time.

the guv crowd really put a damper on most of my evening...like til about 6am. I actually turned around and judo chopped the front girl on an asian train who had her hand on my back and was PUSHING me as I walked through the drink.

8/10 - carl cox was the clear winner of this party.

juice

TRIBE Member
Hawtin was boring up until 2:30 as someone else mentioned. His style just seems wrong in the Guv I couldn't really get into it there. Cox was great though and really brought it up to a level where it needed to be. Even after a nap and some helpers our crew only made it to about 5:30 but it was good times indeed.

Any reason why the rooms weren't reversed? Hawtin and Cox in KH would have been much better.