• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Guh, my motivation to work out is gone.

Skipper

TRIBE Member
I'm barely managing to go 2 or 3 times a week right now, when I should be doing 4.

I really want to lose 7 lbs by the end of april in time for summer, but it seems so far off that I can't get motivated. I try to make weekly goals, planning what days I will go, but when that particular day comes, I either "reschedule" it or just don't go.

How can I get this motivation back?

deep

TRIBE Member
are you overtrained?

i.e. do you generally feel run down, are you not making progress , etc.

Adam

TRIBE Member
look in the mirror

kidding

crystal meth isnt so much a motivator, but you'll probably achieve the same end result

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

lok

TRIBE Member
the winter kills it for me.

I just supplement by doing workouts at home when I want to cheat.

rejenerate

TRIBE Member
I just joined a gym and I'm trying to do the 3/4-times-a-week thing. What helps me is attending classes (because if I don't go, I miss it) and signing up for sessions with a personal trainer who's going to monitor my progress.

Do you have any friends/family you could work out with?

~jen

Preroller

TRIBE Member
Just keep at it Sarah!

I still can't believe that you went on Sunday, thats good motivation I tells ya!

Plus, you are already looking fabulous, don't sweat 7 lbs!

Motivation..hmm I'm not too sure how to get it 'back', just go and do it I suppose?

DAVE

Littlest Hobo

TRIBE Member
Look at pictures of yourself when you were a fatty.

Imagine wearing your fat clothes again, and having your skinny clothes (and the money you spent) waste away.

Look at someone wasting away their life on the couch, shoving bonbons in their maw and say to yourself “look at that slob, I’m better than him/her”.

Tell yourself “Exercise is what I do, like eating and fucking and breathing and shitting”.

Of course, taking time off is good for you now and then.

Chris

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by Skipper
I'm barely managing to go 2 or 3 times a week right now, when I should be doing 4.

I really want to lose 7 lbs by the end of april in time for summer, but it seems so far off that I can't get motivated. I try to make weekly goals, planning what days I will go, but when that particular day comes, I either "reschedule" it or just don't go.

How can I get this motivation back?

Could be what Deep suggested, a combination of overtraining, lack of diet, and maybe lack of rest. If all these check out okay, then maybe its time to change your program, and switch it up?

It helps if you have a good training partner as well. Pick up some literature, do some planning, research.

BTW watch Pumping Iron excellent motivational film ;)

Skipper

TRIBE Member
I'm not overtrained, hah.
Part of it is that I'm doing a 2-day cycle of weights, doing that twice a week. So that gets kinda boring...but in my head, I think "How can it be boring?! I'm only doing it once a week as it is!"

I'm also doing yoga one weekend day (so I don't go to the gym that day) and half hour of pilates on Friday mornings at work.

Should I commit myself to only two days of weights, then maybe a spin class, pilates and yoga?

I want to keep yoga in the routine, but what other combination is a/ interesting and b/ going to help me reach my goal?

deep

TRIBE Member
change your loading parameters

the mind is just as much a limiting factor in training progress as is the muscles or whatever else

joey

TRIBE Member
its totally hard to keep going.

i find it happens when you plateau and dont really see as many results. That's a sure sign to change up your routine..

littlenutty

TRIBE Member
find a workout buddy so you feel obligated to workout or you'll be stiffing someone out.... guilt always works for me...lol ;)

Lil'Timmy

TRIBE Promoter
My secret...go at lunch hour. Thats what i do, 20 mins, everday, monday to friday, then weights 3 times a week.

Lunch hour is soo good because that cardio totally keeps you energized for the rest of the day.

Big Cheese

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by littlenutty
find a workout buddy so you feel obligated to workout or you'll be stiffing someone out.... guilt always works for me...lol ;)

that's a good idea

thanx :)

Chris

Well-Known TRIBEr
I find when I reach a plateau, its time to change the cycle, oops I mean the workout.

"Once you have reached a peak threshold, where your body has become immune to your reps and sets, you must elevate the intensity for each body part. These are for intermediate to advanced bodybuilders only! You will learn that pain is a good thing."

Excellent Plateau Busters

HIGH INTENSITY TRAINING TECHNIQUES
Supersets
Pre-Exhaustion Supersets

TRAINING TO FAILURE
Cheating Reps
Forced Reps
Descending Sets
Burns
Negative Reps

PSYCHO SETS
Psycho

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/plateau.htm

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
STOP MEASURING YOUR PROGRESS BY YOUR WEIGHT!

Why are people obsessed with that number and lbs?

Measure by your tone, your inches you've lost, etc...

I've gained 10-15lbs in the past months, but lost an 1.5" inches on the waist...

Just food for thought.

pr0nstar

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
I haven't been to the gym/worked out in a week and half, due to the clavicle bidness.

I feel like crap. Lowered energy/motivation for life in general and tough time sleeping well. Don't let it happen to you.

Luckily today I've reached a point where I can start doing cardio on a recumbent bike. First time back today and I can't wait!