1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

gu

Discussion in 'Progressive Room' started by djcheezwhiz, May 19, 2010.

1. djcheezwhiz

djcheezwhiz TRIBE Member

i do get a little sad when i stop by the gu board and find only birds chirping and tumbleweed blowing through...

2. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

reminds me of the progressive room.
    and the breaks room.

3. basketballjones

basketballjones TRIBE Member

no one posts any good sets anymore cause you will get banned :(

4. The board reformat they pulled probably killed it pretty badly, but I think part of it plays into the last few releases they put out (James Lavelle in Bangkok, Felix Tha Housecat).

5. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

james lavelle and felix "tha" housecat arguably shouldn't have been djing even at the best of times, much less still be doing mix cds now, 8 or so years past both of their expiration dates

6. Yeah, both of them are really more studio artists than actual djs (although I do have a bit of a soft spot for Lavelle - he's got some great ideas and puts out some pretty decent mixes), but neither really fit the mold of what GU used to put out. I guess they were trying to respond to the criticism that they weren't getting a whole lot of new talent into the roster.

I'm not sure what to think of GU anymore - they can still get a decent set of mixes out once in a while (ie. Nick Warren, Sultan, Nic Fanciulli), but they've managed to mess up what should be easy sales (Plump DJ's, Carl Cox and Jim Rivers).

7. djcheezwhiz

djcheezwhiz TRIBE Member

i saw felix many years ago at the opera house and he put on a pretty good show...i agree that the board reformat killed off any remaining interest from the usual posters, but it was always nice to go back and check out the latest 10 page posts on sasha's choice of clothing at his last gig...

ah well --- it was a good run, and i guess, 10 years any way you look at it is a long time...

8. loopdokter

loopdokter TRIBE Promoter

Most of the people from that board have moved over to Bedrock's board.