• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

GTA Parking Tickets: Write 25 and go home

AshG

Vincent Vega said:
Flashy wins the prize for actually having read the article and realizing that it's referring to REAL COPS and not pesky green
actually, re-reading the article myself i'm not sure where you're getting this info anyway. techincally meter maids are also police; just parking police.

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Yo AshG, I have a bunch of late tickets that I haven't paid or taken action on...I think you have to pay them once you've waited too long, no?

AshG

~atp~ said:
Yo AshG, I have a bunch of late tickets that I haven't paid or taken action on...I think you have to pay them once you've waited too long, no?
yeah you have 15 days from the ticket issuance to file for a trial date.
you get a guilty verdict automatically if you don't do anything.

definitely take the 20 minutes to go set up a trial date next time.
chances are that trial date will never arrive.

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

MissBlu

TRIBE Member
Those damn meter maid bitches ticketed my car twice in the same spot when we first moved... I even left the first ticket on my car.

If I ever find that bitch,

Boo

TRIBE Member
Flashy_McFlash said:
Once you get the notice of conviction in the mail, you're SOL.
not necessarily true, but overturning the conviction requires going to a justice of the peace and having them hear your case. For a parking ticket, I'd just pay it.

I got a ticket once when I ran into a store to buy smokes on a practically deserted street in the middle of the day. I couldn't have been more than90 seconds and I come out and some maid is writing me a ticket. I'm like "I wasn't even in there a minute, and they refused to budge"

So I just got in my car and started driving away. (Like I was going to stand there while he finished writing the ticket) He said I can't just drive away, and I told him to mail it to me and kept going...

never saw the ticket

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
What if the cop physically blocks you from leaving? You can legally run him over, right?

edit: And what does the law say about backing over them to make sure they don't yell for help?

Rajio

Well-Known TRIBEr
STFU, just follow the rules and you wont have a problem with parking tickets.

problem solved. you're welcome.

consider it a glass ceiling, as mingster points out.

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
Riiight. Follow the rules and you'll never get tickets. Especially from assfuck meter maids who have a quota to meet. Go back to Russia.

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Rajio said:

And let's march to war, sing praise to Jesus and condemn gay marriage while we're at it!

SJN

TRIBE Member
My sister's friend got into an argument with with a "ticket cop" about a year ago over a ticket they were writing him. He gave the ticket cop a gentle shove on his way back to his car -- within minutes he was swarmed by "real" cop cars and he was cuffed and thrown in the back of one of the cars. He was eventually let go when the ticket cop decided to let the incident slide.
Apparently, any physical contact is taken VERY seriously and even big arguments can get you into hot water --- all that to say: take the ticket (once they start writing it, they can't stop anyway) and just fight the thing if you think you've been wronged.

AshG

^
they can start writing it all they want, but until they actually administer the ticket to your car or you the driver, you won't be convicted of anything.

as an aside, an interesting little quirk of our parking laws actually allows you to park anywhere you want(except a designated fire route) provided you are either loading or unloading something.
if you can show that, or argue successfully that that's what you were doing, then you'll get off.

SJN

TRIBE Member
AshG said:
^
they can start writing it all they want, but until they actually administer the ticket to your car or you the driver, you won't be convicted of anything.
I don't disagree with that.
What I'm saying is that once they start writing the ticket, they can't stop -- even if you come rushing accross the street begging for forgiveness. Whether they then successfully administer the ticket is a whole other issue.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Resolver

TRIBE Member
So, im working at this school down at College and Clinton this week and I have to park my vehicle in the greenpark so the secretary gave me this green school board park pass so I could put on my dash.

Well, I kind of accidentely left the greenpass on my dash in the green parking lot on the Danforth today and low and behold, when I came back to my vehicle 90 minutes later, I received no ticket! I think I just scored greenparking for free 4 LIFE! Woo Hoo!!:D

nusty

TRIBE Member
AshG said:
ha ha.
yeah its funny, the bylaw covering this aspect does state that the ticket has to be properly administered to the car/driver, and they even provide "windshield wiper" as an example, but that's not the only place they can place the ticket.

however if the driver is in the car, they must give the driver the ticket.
so you can do a lil something like this:
officer is writing ticket and you...

slowly drive away and come to a stop 10m down the road.
wait for her/him to catch up, and then just before they get to your window, drive ahead a little more.
repeat.
ah yes, childish humour at its best.
I did this over the summer in Los Angeles, I parked on the road when it was street cleanning time and when I saw the parking cop pull up behind me I just drove 5 houses further up and parked again, this went on 3 more times before I finally just did 4 right turns and came up behind the cop and parked again. The cop gave up and drove away. I even let her get out of her car to come talk to me but then pulled away once her drivers door closed.

HaliBubba

TRIBE Promoter
AshG said:
yeah you have 15 days from the ticket issuance to file for a trial date.
you get a guilty verdict automatically if you don't do anything.

definitely take the 20 minutes to go set up a trial date next time.
chances are that trial date will never arrive.
so much for innocent until proven guilty

krosum

TRIBE Member
They are ruthless, my street - not really busy has parking after 6. Only our section of the block too - I guess it has something to do with a school, I've never understood why this block has no parking.

People come home from work after 5 and start parking along the street due to lack of spots. Sure enough the meter-bitch rolls around 5:45 to hand out a series of tickets. I always sit and wonder what the 15 mins actually means to her. And yes I see this on a weekly basis.

Answer: Purchasing a paintball gun and look for a good sniper pirch, scope as well.

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Rajio said:

Frivolous tickets happen when parking enforcement becomes less about deterring behaviour and more about cash generation and subject to bullshit incentive schemes like '25 and home'.

While everyone will complain about getting a ticket and most are properly given, some tickets are simply unwarranted in that they do nothing to deter behaviour. More troubling is that frivolous tickets also erode respect for the law (lets just flood the system with tickets!). Parking enforcement should be about deterrence plain and simple not about 'find as many suckers as you can' schemes.

That's when you get tickets like this one for the "Infraction" of being parked 'outside' marked area. (the right wheel being on the line is what the ticket was for).

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
This is an issue which relates to underfunding and the transfer payment deficit between our city/province and the rest of the country. If Toronto/Ontario wasn't being ripped off billions and billions of dollars each year we'd have better infrastructure and less need to create income scheme's (like the ticket writing crap).

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Indeed. Every time I've received a ticket, I've grudgingly reasoned it away with the idea that the city needs the cash. However, such cash infusion shouldn't be at the cost of a malfunctioning parking enforcement system.

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
It should be at the cost of the dogs in office who we let get away with not doing our bidding. I say the time is NOW to begin cracking the whip!

Torontonian's and Ontarian's have been burdened with building roads in Quebekistan, Manitobistan, and all the other leper colonies long enough!3

VIVE LE TORONTO

AshG

HaliBubba said:
so much for innocent until proven guilty
that's exactly it in a nutshell.

parking tickets having NOTHING to do with traffic safety, or any other public benefit aside of a $ generator for local municipalities

i would like to know just why(rhetorically of course):

- you can mail in a guilty verdict and even make paymetn via the web, but you must go in person to plead not guilty and get a court date

- parking officials themselves routinely park illegally where there is legal parking freely available(hey if safety or trafffic flow is a concern, their job or not, they shouldnt' be doing it either)

- parking tickets are issued for violating NO LAW whatsoever

i've offered it before in other traffic threads, and i'll do so again: anyone looking for some help or advice in traffic court with these things, feel free to pm me.

wayne bradbury

TRIBE Member
The last time I got a parking ticket. It was because I had to park on the street because the driveway was being paved. I even called the city to let them know I will be parking on the street for a few days until the driveway is ready. I was given the ok. The first night no ticket, second and last night to park on the street I got a ticket. I called the city to be told "you have to call in every night to let us know you are parking on the street" even though the first time I called they said "2 nights at address.... ok"
I had nothing but problems trying to sort that out and I honestly could not afford to take the time off work to fight it to save the $25 fine so I made sure to have a $20 and a $5 note handy next time I took a dump. I wiped my ass with them the day before I paid my fine. I even went as far as to put them in a ziplock bag which I opened and took the money from before paying the fine. The look on the face of the person who received it was awesome as they knew what kindve brown streak was on the money.