1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Grime vs Hip Hop

Discussion in 'Hip Hop Room' started by LunaVC, Apr 10, 2010.

1. LunaVC

LunaVC TRIBE Member

Just been listening to that Wu Tang album with the Dubstep production and I have to say, it's piss poor.

But I wanted to know what people prefer, Grime or Hip Hop?

Personally (and I'm from the UK) I don't think Grime is very good, the rapping is really bad, the beats are good tho.

And with Hip Hop, the beats and auto-tune is terrible, sometimes the rapping is bad also, but it's less boring that Grime, more polished, obviously aiming for the charts.

Ideally I wait for a UK rapper (Skinnyman) to hook up with a grime producer and that's how I get my fix, or Sway, Wiley (a lot of his raps don't rhyme) and Foreign Beggars, Iron Bridge, Rodyney P. Those are some good ones.

Opinions?

2. Illuminati

Illuminati TRIBE Member

Opinions on what? You're generalizing a whole genre of music in one swoop. Auto-tune and bad production is really only relevant to a relatively small percentage of what is known as rap, not Hip-Hop.

Grime is a trend. Hip-Hop is a culture.

3. Juan Love

Juan Love TRIBE Member

I agree with you. But ,there is a substance behind the Grime shadow.

"ardcore...you know the score!"

First, both scenes have their bright moments recently...

Grime:
    Flow Dan, Wiley and other members of Roll Deep going solo
    Foreign Beggers get Nosia
    Dizzee chops with UGK

Hip hop:
    Jay Electronica
    Brother Ali's "US"
    West Coast Rocks

And then we have to consider...

Grime:
    Mike Skinner is on his 5th album?
    Grime can easily be accused of sounding "samey"...especially considering its 140-ish bpm and chopped 2 step rhythm standard and the inaccessibility of mashed cockney "machine-gun funk" rhyming to some/most.

Hip hop:
    Does a "FREE WEEZY" t-shirt just carry the same existential import as a "FREE SUGE" or "FREE ODB" joint? Methinks not.

I do however think that it is impossible to separate the grime-jungle-bassline-garage-uk funky-dubstep scenes from one another.
    They are all related as spawn of the 90's hardcore, chatty emcees and rewind culture of the UK underground.
    All charged with a unique type of "Britishness" that can be taken as a reflection of the British multi-racial, inner city consciousness.

At the risk of alienating some fans...let's face it...aside from a few shining examples; Herbaliser, Roots Manuva, Mark B and Blade, The Aspects, Rodney P, Morris Minor and The Majors(...ftwk)...mainstream UK hip hop was for the most part 'shite'. In trying to keep up with the American Standard...a lot of British hip hop music in the ninety's and early dubs was missing the mark and pissing on the seat.

Meanwhile, the Jungle and Garage scenes were surging with raw creativity and almost weekly spawning new sub-genres from Breakstep to New Dark Swing and Transylvanian Neurofunk to Clownstep. In most cases it could be argued that the sound was morphing not just on a sonic level as producers pushed their boundaries but also as post-hardcore-loved up party kids realized that, to paraphrase a Spankrock tune, "the motherfucking rave was over". As they were coming into consciousness, ex-ravers found ways of tailoring the music to reflect their new identities in society.

Garage (2-step) was clean, bouncy and lively...it celebrated the opulence of new professionals, re-capturing an element of lost RnB and disco sensuality that androgynous hardcore music had all but stripped away. Darker Jungle styles tapped into the working-class hydro-chronic paranoia of dystopian 21st century life and then Grime became what Techno was for Detroit and Hip hop was for New York and Compton in the 80's. A medium of expression that was unique to street culture that transcends the simple hedonistic call to "shut-up and dance". Instead, Grime becomes the DIY pulpit that spoke to and for the UK urban underground about, what the immortal Rick James called "ghetto life"...

"in the ghetto!"[/temptations]

4. LunaVC

LunaVC TRIBE Member

In my opinion grime mcs are nothing compared to us rappers

grime mcs have better flow but that don't have rhymes andtheyre not saying much there is no message, skinyman is a good mc as is mc vapour

I like the fact that grime is not all boing boing but a bit more grounded
    the whole culture is a bit more real
    50 cent was in a local club here in the uk recently and I guess it's the norm for rappers to go to clubs n sit there looking miserable pretending to drink champagne
    where's grime is talking going to raves doing gear wearing clothes that we al wear (I mean what chump wears fubu, seriously)

hiphop has been caught out it's sad, everything from pretending to be a gangster and their stupid rides seems kinder sad in 2010

I'm done with us hiphop, uk all the way

5. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

Royce's 2009 album was sick. doom's last one was awesome lyrically.

6. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

on the other side of the coin, yes grime is a trend so its like apples/oranges really. I never really liked grime and find it to be a little ali G. Exco pants, skullcaps etc. boomselecta.

rap is something you do / hip hop is something you live

7. LunaVC

LunaVC TRIBE Member

lovin the KRS One references in this thread

it's like going to hip hop school

8. zoo

zoo TRIBE Member

There is both garbage and genius in just about every genre. Sway is an interesting MC, JME is not. I pretty much agree with everything Juan (what's up!!) said, especially grouping the various post-rewind offshoot genres; I don't know why more people don't see this immediately.

And really, it's all become global music.

9. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

reachin for that PhD in Realness Studies