• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Grill Reccomendations

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
New cooker arrived yesterday afternoon

Decided to replace the old Weber Spirit with a higher end Broil King (they're Regal line, manufactured in Waterloo). It's hooked up to the gas line I had run last year during the structural reno.

This compliments the weber kettle I've worked on getting good at using charcoal since the spring.

No more propane at Casa del Federko!

catilyst

TRIBE Member
Nice bbq. I've got the same model but several years older. It's great overall but I was going to warn you to absolutely baby the grills, as ours very quickly turned into a rusted mess no matter how much we tried to keep it clean and properly seasoned. However in your pic the grill looks completely different. (ours was a very thick four piece grill that had a course side, or you could flip the pieces over for a thinner grill marking).

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
Nice bbq. I've got the same model but several years older. It's great overall but I was going to warn you to absolutely baby the grills, as ours very quickly turned into a rusted mess no matter how much we tried to keep it clean and properly seasoned. However in your pic the grill looks completely different. (ours was a very thick four piece grill that had a course side, or you could flip the pieces over for a thinner grill marking).
Thanks. Learned my lesson on the Spirit after replacing the old porcelain enameled grills with cast iron... The good news is this series comes with rolled 9mm stainless steel. Burn-in done yesterday, seasoning starting this afternoon :)

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
So far, so good. The stainless grill rods are great, and the control knobs are precise.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
^ Nice. We you grilling last night?!
Of course.

Set up the grill for indirect, clipped the wireless thermometer to the grate, made some half pound patties by hand that I'd salted earlier, then seasoned using a garlic/onion/black pepper spice mix, cooked to 110 degrees, then seared at the end.

Good times. Juicy!

EDIT: regarding the stainless steel grates, I can't recall if I mentioned my weber charcoal kettle has them too, and they don't rust by design.

Last edited:

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
Put both grills to work yesterday, and really went to town... did miso honey ginger wings, beef short ribs, pork sides, and spareribs. Dry brine'd the red meat, and marinated the chicken 24 hours (miso paste, sake, rice vinegar, honey, sesame oil, fresh ginger). Added apple tree wood to the oak for the wings... Beef and swine took 6 hours, poultry an hour and a half, all indirect at approximately 250.

Last edited:

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't used my propane BBQ in years and I am going to put it on the curb for garbage day. I use a Weber kettle with charcoal. It is awesome but so efficient I only ever use a tiny corner of it (for personal use) because it can turn into a blast furnace if you put too much coal in it. Nothing beats the taste of good chunk hardwood coal.

Mondieu

TRIBE Member
I haven't used my propane BBQ in years and I am going to put it on the curb for garbage day. I use a Weber kettle with charcoal. It is awesome but so efficient I only ever use a tiny corner of it (for personal use) because it can turn into a blast furnace if you put too much coal in it. Nothing beats the taste of good chunk hardwood coal.
I use a Weber kettle for home and a small Weber propane for travel. Both are fantastic. Had them for years. The Weber kettle doubles as my fire pit, as I’m in a residential area, near a fire station but - despite strict municipal regulation - feel an absolute compulsion to burn things. ...regularly. ;)