1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Green House at Swallow Lounge!

Discussion in 'Event Reviews' started by MoFo, Aug 24, 2003.

1. MoFo

MoFo TRIBE Member

Holy fuck was it dead. But I had one of the best nights ever!

Cheers to the party crew for comin' out, gettin' secret pitchers, dancing to the sweet tunes of Finch and Myagi and then hoppin' over to Jesux' for some more shenanigans.

FUCK, last night was fun.

Goes to show it's not how big and flashy events are, it's the right selection of people.

Cheers to Jazz, Renata, Antoinette, Amy and Co., Sandra, Brando, Jess, Cobi, Aprodite, Chiclet, Claire Evil, Andrew, Ian, Unabomber, those weird girls dancing up a storm, Spam-marie, Stevie B, Stefanski, Liz and the rest. What a fucking awesome night of total debauchery and jokes!

And the projections were great.

2. MoFo

MoFo TRIBE Member

Yup, no one is reviewing it cuz no one went. Haha.

3. !Myagi!

!Myagi! TRIBE Member

i had a great time!
    playing back to back with finch was really cool - i had to pick tracks in a totally different way than i normally do and it was bangin!
    nice seeing the DGR crew as usual, pity it wasnt a bit busier though :(

pce!

4. jus me

jus me TRIBE Member

Great venue! I've never been before and it was big, spacey and alotta class! Also have to mention that the staff are really nice, as we all came with huge bags and there were no huge hassles at the door.

Tunes were great, and seeing faces I haven't in a while made it even better. Interesting visuals, especially the WEMF documentary by Christian Skodjt. It's a creative combo to have all these visual artists and dj's together in one spot for the nite, too bad more people weren't there to witness it.

Sorry I couldn't stay longer, but I had a long day and the tequila did me in for the nite. *zonk* :p

5. MoFo

MoFo TRIBE Member

Yay for Tori!

Shannon looks at me and says, "oh, he's putting on a Tori Amos record..."

That is one of my favourite electronic songs ever.

"Honey, bring it close to my lips yeah.."

6. !Myagi!

!Myagi! TRIBE Member

mine too - i love it

7. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

apparently there was a wedding reception taking place in the other half of the club - now there is a club owner wanting to mix things up!

8. headwinds

headwinds TRIBE Promoter

well -- post party -- its obvious that we made a major tactical error in suggesting that our event could draw around 200 people. We honestly thought that a night involving these 3 djs and 9 other art/technology collectives could attract that crowd, and we aggressively promoted it our friends, the electronic music and new media art communities. Unfortunately, we drew somewhere between 50-80 people -- MoFo brought a crew of about 20 alone! We did not collect any money and assume that most people bought at least a drink at the bar.

We did not complain when we arrived and were told that we were sharing the venue with a birthday party and a staggette -- hey the more, the merrier we thought.

Our DJs tried to play for the diverse crowd even unabomber started with some funky electro but then killed the floor with techno when someone requested Madonna (very amusing). Finch had the staggette ladies and the vieled bride spinning again with some 80's hits. I asked him to tag-team with Myagi at 1:30 am and then stopped the event just after 2 am realizing that the club was empty.

We would like to offer a public apology to owners of Swallow Lounge for failing to draw the expected crowd. We tried!!! We would also like to clear up any rumours that may reflect poorly on our reputation about how the event was produced. Our agreement with the club was that they would pay for flyers and provide the venue for free. We would provide the entertainment and promote the party through flyering, messageboards, and local papers like EYE (thanks denise!). We had no contractual or verbal understanding about any consequences should the event fail to draw a crowd. It appears that the venue lost money by bringing in more staff to cover the expected crowd.

We wish them the best of luck in the future -- they are nice people and deserve to be supported -- the Swallow Lounge ( www.swallowlounge.com ) is a very classy place on College Street.

As for DGR, this was probably our last event in a bar for a very long time but we will continue to showcase the works of people who combine art and technology towards promoting environmental issues.

Thanks to those people who did by drop by, checked out the djs and projections, and splashed out on the drinks.

cheers!

brandon.

www.deepgreenrobots.com