• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Great Quotes

SuperKennyK

TRIBE Member
"Never look down on anyone unless your helping them up."

-Jesse Jackson

(It's actually "helping him up," but I thought it's better my way).

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
okay so mine's more of a poem than a quote

when they said he could walk on water
what it sounds like to me
is he could float like a butterfly
and sting like a bee
literal people are scary, man
literal people scare me
out there trying to rid the world
of its poetry
while getting it wrong fundamentally
down at the church of "look,
it sez right here, see!"

-literal, by ani difranco (off her most recent album 'educated guess')

evil homer

TRIBE Member
"You never actually come down from your first trip, you just get used to it"

-Terence McKenna

(the man also said that "as the sphere of human awareness increases, so does the surface area of ignorance")

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Jonesy

TRIBE Member
"For to know nothing is nothing, not to want to know anything likewise, but to be beyond anything, to know you are beyond knowing anything, that is when the peace enters in, to the sould of the incurioius seeker. It is then the true division begins, of twenty-two by seven for example, and the pages fill with ciphers at last" (Beckett, Unnamable)

SuperKennyK

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Jonesy
"For to know nothing is nothing, not to want to know anything likewise, but to be beyond anything, to know you are beyond knowing anything, that is when the peace enters in, to the sould of the incurioius seeker. It is then the true division begins, of twenty-two by seven for example, and the pages fill with ciphers at last" (Beckett, Unnamable)

Am I supposed to understand that? :confused:

sk8

TRIBE Member
"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do.
When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Sir Stephen Henry Roberts (1901-1971)

junglegirl

TRIBE Member
Being grown up isn't half as fun as growing up
These are the best days of our lives
The only thing that matters is just following your heart and
Eventually, you'll finally get it right

The Ataris - In this Diary

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."

-A. Einstein

"Let me say, with the risk of appearing ridiculous, that the true revolutionary is guided by strong feelings of love."

-Ernesto Che Guevara

“I have a dream that my four children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.”

-Martin Luther King

and my fave:

"I like bats much better than bureaucrats. I live in the Managerial Age, in a world of "Admin." The greatest evil is not now done in those sordid "dens of crime" that Dickens loved to paint. It is not done even in concentration camps and labour camps. In those we see its final result. But it is conceived and ordered (moved, seconded, carried, and minuted) in clean, carpeted, warmed, and well-lighted offices, by quiet men with white collars and cut fingernails and smooth-shaven cheeks who do not need to raise their voice. Hence, naturally enough, my symbol for Hell is something like the bureaucracy of a police state or the offices of a thoroughly nasty business concern."

-C.S. Lewis
The Screwtape Letters

Libradragon

TRIBE Promoter
Without ambition one starts nothing. Without work one finishes nothing. The prize will not be sent to you. You have to win it. The man who knows how will always have a job. The man who also knows why will always be his boss. As to methods there may be a million and then some, but principles are few. The man who grasps principles can successfully select his own methods. The man who tries methods, ignoring principles, is sure to have trouble.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Rocky

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Boss Hog
and my fave:

"I like bats much better than bureaucrats. I live in the Managerial Age, in a world of "Admin." The greatest evil is not now done in those sordid "dens of crime" that Dickens loved to paint. It is not done even in concentration camps and labour camps. In those we see its final result. But it is conceived and ordered (moved, seconded, carried, and minuted) in clean, carpeted, warmed, and well-lighted offices, by quiet men with white collars and cut fingernails and smooth-shaven cheeks who do not need to raise their voice. Hence, naturally enough, my symbol for Hell is something like the bureaucracy of a police state or the offices of a thoroughly nasty business concern."

-C.S. Lewis
The Screwtape Letters
Nice.

OTIS

TRIBE Member
An appropriate one for this day & age:

The power of the executive to cast a man into prison without formulating any charge known to the law, and particularly to deny him the judgment of his peers, is in the highest degree odious, and the foundation of all totalitarian government whether Nazi or Communist.
-Winston Churchill commenting on the idea of detaining people without trial during the height of WWII when Britain was overrun with spies & faced total destruction by one of the ruthless war machines in history.

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by Jonesy

You are so my new favourite.

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
"... I don't know what I want in life, but I know how to get it ..."

- Read it in Transworld Snowboarding Magazine

pr0nstar :D

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
In the vein of both great absurist playwrights and critique of the American monolith:

The crimes of the U.S. throughout the world have been systematic, constant, clinical, remorseless, and fully documented but nobody talks about them.
Harold Pinter

(I know, I know, we talk abotu them a lot here and now. Still.)

sauce

TRIBE Member
"It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for someone you are not."

I read it somewhere years ago and never forgot it. I have no clue who came up with it.

peace

sauce