• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

GRAVITY - Best Reviewed Movie Ever ?

Beer babe

TRIBE Member
I'm not a huge fan of 3d. Even when it is done well, I find it kind of annoying. I wear glasses and my vision is a bit messed up which may be why. I've only really enjoyed seeing 3d once or twice and the rest of the time I've always thought I would ensure to see the non 3d version of a movie the next time. Can I do this with Gravity? Is the 2d version going to be good enough?
I actually wanted to know the exact same thing.

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
I'm not a huge fan of 3d. Even when it is done well, I find it kind of annoying. I wear glasses and my vision is a bit messed up which may be why. I've only really enjoyed seeing 3d once or twice and the rest of the time I've always thought I would ensure to see the non 3d version of a movie the next time. Can I do this with Gravity? Is the 2d version going to be good enough?
this movie should be experienced on an IMAX screen, or at least an AVX screen, and those screens are all showing it in 3d format only. if you see it on a smaller, 2d, screen, it will not have the same effect.

i'd say it is worth putting up with the annoyance of the 3d glasses to see it on a large IMAX screen.

you should also reserve your seats at the IMAX as soon as possible, because the shows are selling out faster now than when the movie first came out and it's all assigned seating.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

rave jedi

TRIBE Member
^Just got home from the movie. Liked it, but really wanted to love it!!! Honestly, I believe there is some type of conspiracy in the movie industry, especially where the movie critics are concerned. It was "over-hyped" and believe it had a contagious domino effect with every critic in this known universe being brainwashed into loving it.

With that said, my prediction it will still win many Oscars including best picture, best director and best actress. Alfonso Cuarón will get all the awards that Stanley Kubrick should have won for several of his films including "2001: A Space Odyssey".

Saw the 3D IMAX version and plan on seeing it again probably in a month's time when the IMAX theatre in Niagara Falls will probably be showing it without the 3D. They are a bit slow with new movies and are still screening "Elysium". It is still my favorite IMAX theatre since I cant' see blockbusters at the Cinesphere anymore. So sad.

Now Playing at the Niagara IMAX Theatre

Can't wait to see "Hubble 3D" now.

Sue me, my top 3 movies I saw in a 3D IMAX cinema for 2013 so far. Ranked in order of badass (best). :D

1. Man of Steel

2. Star Trek: Into Darkness

3. Gravity

sianspherica

TRIBE Member
Saw it last night im IMAX 3D and I loved it, it was above and beyond like.

It was super intense and I was holding my breath through a lot of it and I could almost sense the tension amongst everyone in the theatre of everyone else holding their breath or panting nervously. The packed audience was also quiet as a pindrop. Movies that elicit THAT collective reaction are the best.

Everything that needs to be said about the visual effects is spot-on, they are completely outer-worldly. And the use of 3D in this to me is the best actual use of 3D since Avatar.

I usually shy away from A: 3D movies and B: Sandra Bullock movies, but in this instance they both worked great.

Sandy definitely deserves an Oscar nomination and by the end of the film I couldn't really picture another actress in that role. It's rare that an actress has to carry pretty much an entire big-budget action movie on her shoulders and come off as a likeable and plausible character and she pulled it off.

Those scenes of
the space shuttle, the ISS, etc getting destroyed by the satelitte debris were absolutely fucking mind-blowing and terrifying and exhilirating. I can only imagine what Chris Hadfield thought while watching that at the TIFF Premiere.

I also liked the fact that Gravity wasn't long. 90 minutes, it was quick and to the point and exciting from beginning to end.

Definitely recommended, and def see it on a bigass screen in 3D.

Last edited:

rentboy

TRIBE Member
I usually shy away from A: 3D movies and B: Sandra Bullock movies, but in this instance they both worked great.
I still need to see it, but it's encouraging to hear this as a common reaction to both.

I'm looking to check it either next week or the week after.

It's very, very good - I'm actually surprised at how well Sandra Bullock rises to the occasion of nearly carrying a movie on her own, conveying a convincing sense of trying to find the will to survive in the face the peril her character experiences and how inconceivably slim the odds of her survival are.

It's a fantastically shot film and really needs the IMAX 3D just for the sheer vastness of the backdrops, the clever and creative use of the 3D filming and the seamless interaction between the actors and the special effects - it's an extremely impressive achievement on its technical merits alone. Cuaron also manages to pull off a stunningly shot film as well - the camerawork is what really makes this a must see in IMAX 3D. He has some incredibly long takes reminiscent of some of Brian De Palma's best works, and squeezes every bit of inventiveness in order to keep up the suspense and keep the audience intimately involved in the scary situations you're seeing onscreen.

There's been some stuff posted by Neil Lagasse Tyson about the inaccuracies of the film (but he still praised it), and yeah, now that I look at it, he's right - but when I saw it in the theater, I didn't notice, and I doubt I'd really care either if I go to see it a second time (I liked it enough to consider it). Sometimes you got to take liberties in order to preserve the spectacle - see also just about any movie where the hero outruns a huge explosion.

Do I think it's the best film of the year? It's a bit early to tell - I'm hearing great things about 12 Years a Slave and buzz on some other releases and there's still a couple of months left. But from a technical standpoint - fuck yes.

coleridge

TRIBE Member
Just back from seeing this.

It is groundbreaking. It opens with one continuous shot that lasts well over 30 minutes.

Seeing it in IMAX in 3D is a must. This comes from someone who hates 3D normally. They've changed the glasses since the last 3D movie I've seen and they are way better. As my GF said to me this is the first 3D movie she hasn't got a headache from.

The use of 3D is perfect. It defines distances. It defines the hectic mayhem of loose random objects floating inside a space station. It helps define the root physics of motion and weightlessness.

It's the first movie I've seen that has convinced me that I need to get a 3D projector. It is the first movie I've seen that has convinced me that 3D is not a fad that will die.

The scenes of destruction are technically miraculous. I need to see this again a few times to truly take in the magnitude of the accomplishment.

The audio track was pretty spectacular too. I don't think I've ever seen a movie that has used volume range so well. They really show off how clear the system is at low volume.

This movie was not filmed in a zero-g plane like Apollo 13. Sandra Bullock's performance is even more impressive when you realize the depth of subtleties she brings to make it look like she's weightless.

I felt there were a few parts where the music sent things really close to the edge of forced but that's a minor minor criticism. But the big booming signature refrain with those deep bass orchestra stabs is pretty epic.

BTW

Scotiabank theatre has new seats that tilt back better than before. If you're going there I'd say where as the sweet spot used to be close to the top rows, the lower mid rows are probably a better choice now.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

coleridge

TRIBE Member
Do I think it's the best film of the year? It's a bit early to tell - I'm hearing great things about 12 Years a Slave and buzz on some other releases and there's still a couple of months left. But from a technical standpoint - fuck yes.
My feelings as well.

I think 12 Years a Slave is going to clean up. I can't remember a movie that's been praised so highly.

It's the first movie I've seen that has convinced me that I need to get a 3D projector. It is the first movie I've seen that has convinced me that 3D is not a fad that will die.
This is where I disagree - for every movie like this, Avatar, The Avengers or a handful of other films that are either a) shot with 3D in mind or b) converted into 3D with some care, there's already dozens of Resident Evil/Clash of the Titans/Captain America/Transformers and other dreck that are only using it to cash in or to charge a bit extra for your ticket. There have been a ton of 3D movies that really didn't need to be 3D in the first place, and they vastly outnumber the 3D films that are making genuine use of it. I'm not opposed to it being used in a fun manner, like say how Pacific Rim used it, but there's a lot of films that never needed to be 3D in the first place.

That's not to necessarily say that it's doomed, I think they're still trying to find the proper uses for the film in that it makes sense that they're using 3D and not just adding it on for the sake of adding another selling point. If it keeps getting abused like this, people are going to get tired of the bullshit.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Comment on a friend's facebook on the 3D discussion: "whats with colour? Why do they keep making movies in colour?"

Face it, tons of movies manage to waste even that much.

I agree the 3D field has been hit and miss, but I think i've started to get a better feel for it having it in the home and being a bit of a 3D slut in the theatre.

In the movies you gotta make sure you're right in the middle, the passive glasses really suffer when off axis. Also the passive 3D tech does reduce the overall resolution and have more difficulty with motion tracking. This can make the experience in the theatre a bit confusing: was off axis for Man of Steel and I found the fast-edit craziness of that one was made worse by the passive 3d tech and where I was sitting. This is also happening on a washed out giant screen with a ton of film grain, so those limitations come to bear on the effect too.

I really think more people trying it in the home will really boost the tech! I look forward to seeing that one at home in 3D where the active-shutter keeps motion smooth and the colours will pop a bit more. But active-shutter has its own issues, introducing a bit of flicker w. some models and some might find it disorienting on its own (passive being a bit easier on the eyes).

In terms of content lately I'll echoe the love for the new Star Trek, which I think managed to walk a great line of the more subtle depth effect and some really fun "whizz bang" moments!

Don't overlook the animated shit too - Despicable Me was a lot of fun in 3D and those movies will always be made better by the tech when designed from ground up for it (less so on conversions of originally 2D stuff, but don't sneeze at Finding Nemo and even the reissue of Jurassic Park in 3D - both of those were awesome!)

Look forward to seeing this movie but unsure if I will brave the theatre. I hear the best theatre 3D uses two projectors, one for each eye, and some imax theatres have this... do any in the GTA?

I really think more people trying it in the home will really boost the tech!
This is the one thing I disagree with, otherwise I see where you're coming from - the problem with the home tech is the content from 3D at home isn't quite there yet. Right now they need to move beyond just movies and video games - sporting events that are being broadcast in 3D (I think) need to be rethought in the sense of how they shoot it, and they need more support from regular TV in order to get 3D technology to become more than an expensive novelty. It still doesn't help that a lot of 3D tvs are still prohibitively expensive for most.

I think the best analogy of 3D in it's current state is that it's like laserdisc technology in it's heyday - it's a great format that the public would like, but didn't really accept until DVD came along.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Im saying the tech is better at home than it is in theatres - a lot of people I know have sworn "Im not into it", then change their mind after seeing a cool 3D film on a good set at someone's place.

For content I actually think movies and videogames are the ticket. I expect next wave of consoles to keep up what the PS3 did for 3D console gaming. In europe british TV invested heavily in 3D broadcast and especially for soccer - I think some of these efforts now being rolled back.

Dont see as much of a future for broadcast until the TV tech has more penetration - and I think it gets there from movies like Avatar, Gravity and gaming. Meh - chicken and egg thing maybe! ;) 1000 dollar TVs have the tech its not just a high end spec thing anymore...

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
Loved pretty much everything about it. I love well executed films that show the
ability of the human will to overcome incredible odds.

I also got a chuckle out of the mention of Clooney's character wanting to break the record for the spacewalk while the film itself seemed to be going for a record for the longest opening shot in a single take. Though I'm not sure if it was a record, or a single take or if CGI helped that.

Brilliant CGI.

Last edited:

Beer babe

TRIBE Member
I saw this yesterday and absolutely loved it. A simple story yet gripping and heartfelt. Sandra Bullock deserves an Oscar for this one.

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
Look forward to seeing this movie but unsure if I will brave the theatre.
you REALLY should see this movie at one of the big IMAX theatres like scotiabank theatre or colossus. (not one of those small "IMAX" branded cinemas.)

ground-breaking cinematic achievements like this are rare and this one needs to be seen on the big IMAX screen.

i told this to my brother and sisters and their kids and we all got tickets to the monday 1 pm showing at scotiabank IMAX. i can't wait to see it again! :)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Maui

TRIBE Member
Just for the record I saw a movie that was rated 100%. I forget what it was now but I did want to watch it. It was an older flick. hmmm maybe I can find it on the site somehow.

rave jedi

TRIBE Member
Last edited:

Blue Meanies

TRIBE Member
the problem with the home tech is the content from 3D at home isn't quite there yet
I totally disagree with you. I find the experience at home amazing and just as good if not better than in a theatre. I watch 1080p 3d blurays, play 1080p 3d ps3 games and even watch 3d broadcasts of shows and documentaries (sky tv is SICK). All of which are amazing and worth the investment. I do think it's something people need to try and experience first before understanding what the fuss is about. I love it. :)

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
Just for the record I saw a movie that was rated 100%. I forget what it was now but I did want to watch it. It was an older flick. hmmm maybe I can find it on the site somehow.
there are a number of films on the site that have 100% approval ratings, but almost all are flicks that came out before rotten tomatoes started keeping track of critics reviews, so the number of reviews for those movies are much less than for movies coming out these days.

Became curious about Rotten Tomatoes and found a link on their site that list the top 100 movies that all got perfect 100% from them.

Top 100 Movies Of All Time - Rotten Tomatoes
getting 100% approval versus 98% approval is the same, in my view, as the difference can be one or two loons that just don't get it. the more important number, i think, is the average rating out of 10.

your link above states that the number one best reviewed movie on the site is TOY STORY 2. that has an average rating of 8.6/10. GRAVITY has an average rating of 9.1/10.

i thus stand by my original statement that GRAVITY may well be the best reviewed movie ever. :)

p.s. i just came back from watching it again at the scotiabank IMAX and i loved it just as much the second time.