• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

GRAVITY - Best Reviewed Movie Ever ?

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
the reviews for GRAVITY are ridiculously good. i do not recall seeing such universal praise for a movie since perhaps SCHINDLER'S LIST.

it's being called a miracle, a game changer, a masterpiece. one dude wrote: "Ask me in twenty-five years about the most magical moviegoing excursions I've had, and I'm pretty sure I'll cite the day I saw Gravity as one of them."

Gravity - Rotten Tomatoes

it's getting 98% approval with an average rating of 9.1.

compare that to SCHINDLER'S LIST which had 97% approval with an average rating of 8.9, or WALL-E which had 96% approval and an average rating of 8.5.

i'm not suggesting that critics reviews are the be-all and end-all of anything, but i do think it's worth noting when a film gets this kind of praise. it does seem like this movie may be the best reviewed film of all time, or at least in the "modern age" when rotten tomatoes started tracking this stuff and the number of film critics seems to have exploded.

anyone seen this yet? is it as good as they say?

i've got tickets to the 8:10 pm show tonight at the scotiabank IMAX. best seats in the house! :)

Lojack

TRIBE Member
Let us know.. I've been looking forward to this for months, but I'm distracted with some stuff right now and can't see it this weekend :(

One criticism I've seen is that the plot is fairly boilerplate - basically lost at sea, that sort of thing - but the acting, direction and effects are top notch. Those I know have seen it raved, and the clueful ones are saying the director has a very good chance at the best direction Oscar, and maybe best film. I'll wait until I've seen 12 Years A Slave before I pass judgement.

[spoil]They are rescued by Xenu in the form of Tom Cruise[/spoil]

Last edited:

rave jedi

TRIBE Member
Looking forward to this movie.

Been a big fan of Mexican director Alfonso Cuaron ever since his 2001 movie "Y Tu Mama Tambien".Was totally won over with the opening sex scene of teenagers within the first 30 seconds of the movie. :D What's not to like! LOL

Y Tu Mamá También - Rotten Tomatoes

Didn't even know he directed the 1998 movie adaptation of "Great Expectations" with Ethan Hawke and Gwyneth Paltrow.

erika

TRIBE Member
Even the Globe and Mail gave it 4 stars, which is making me think I will restrain my disdain for all things 3 D and Imax, and give it a shot in a couple of weeks. I'm kinda glad it's only 90 minutes ;)

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

derek

TRIBE Member
will be seeing this for sure. next weekend most likely. i've been patiently waiting

Balzz

TRIBE Member
Just saw this today. It was remarkably good. Wow. Whole new respect for Sandra Bullock for carrying the movie. Best part about the special effects is they didn't look like special effects...I felt like I was watching something along the lines of the Hubble 3d documentary.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
I caught this opening night, which I never do. The theatre was about 50% packed, I had high expectations and they were met.

Without saying much about the movie, the action scenes are excellent and this is probably the best movie I've ever seen in 3d that was not animated.

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
this is one of the best things i have ever experienced in a movie theatre. it MUST be seen in a proper cinema, preferably an IMAX.

one of the opening sequences involved a continuous shot that lasted i think about 30 minutes, moving back and forth from second person to first person, which was simply incredible.

no film has ever made me feel like i have actually experienced being in space like this one has. i am going to see it again before it leaves the IMAX.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
this is one of the best things i have ever experienced in a movie theatre. it MUST be seen in a proper cinema, preferably an IMAX.

one of the opening sequences involved a continuous shot that lasted i think about 30 minutes, moving back and forth from second person to first person, which was simply incredible.

no film has ever made me feel like i have actually experienced being in space like this one has. i am going to see it again before it leaves the IMAX.
Agreed, I can't wait to own this on blu ray 3D and watch it at home.

This was the most natural 3D I've ever seen, I took of my glasses in parts as I couldn't tell if it was 3D or not, it looked 3D but there wasn't the usual separation from the background and the 3d imaging.

The movie itself is spectacular, it feels like you're on the mission with them when everything is happening. The moments of silence speak volumes and you generally forget about the orchestrated music when you get absorbed into the visuals.

Move of the year, Bullock deserves an Oscar for sure.

Balzz

TRIBE Member
If you get the chance, check out Hubble 3d and you'll be even more impressed with Gravity's CGI.

rave jedi

TRIBE Member
If you get the chance, check out Hubble 3d and you'll be even more impressed with Gravity's CGI.
Damn...I wanna check this movie out, but I assume it is no longer playing at the Ontario Science Centre. Best I can do is look for movie and watch on my friend's 3D TV right?

Balzz

TRIBE Member
I was lucky and saw it at the Kennedy space center. No idea if it's playing locally but yeah I a 3d tv would be the next best thing. I have the non 3d 1080p rip and watching it still triggers sense memory of the IMAX.

Balzz

TRIBE Member
The more I think about this movie the more impressed I am at the execution. The concept could've gone so wrong in so many ways but it didn't.

sianspherica

TRIBE Member
going on tuesday in imax 3d

stoked

I hope it's not boring at times, ie. I've heard that most of the movie is just Bullock herself (not a huge fan of her)

kyfe

TRIBE Member
going on tuesday in imax 3d

stoked

I hope it's not boring at times, ie. I've heard that most of the movie is just Bullock herself (not a huge fan of her)
I do not like Bullock and I thought her performance was top notch, Oscar worth even. As for the movie being boring I never felt that for a second so I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

As Balzz said this was an easy movie to screw up and they nailed every aspect. The only critique I can imagine being brought forward is maybe some of the technical aspects to what transpired were not accurate. But that would be knit picking

sianspherica

TRIBE Member
Awesome. Good to hear.

Chris Hadfield attended the Gravity premiere at TIFF and said it was the closest to feeling like in space he had ever seen on film, so obviously that is one worthwhile recommendation coming from him.

ian

TRIBE Member
I'm not a huge fan of 3d. Even when it is done well, I find it kind of annoying. I wear glasses and my vision is a bit messed up which may be why. I've only really enjoyed seeing 3d once or twice and the rest of the time I've always thought I would ensure to see the non 3d version of a movie the next time. Can I do this with Gravity? Is the 2d version going to be good enough?