• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Graphics Cards

pseudonoise

TRIBE Member
A while back I picked up a 128MB GeForce FX AGP card. It's fan was super noisy (sounded like a dying animal) so I brought it back for an exchange and they gave me a new one that didn't have a fan at all.

Hmmm... this must be a newer model that uses sinks because the old ones with fans were defective. 15 months later I now have a smoking heap of rubble in my computer.

Seeing as I'm planning on turning this computer in a server anyway I decide to replace the card with something with TV capture.

Snagged this on ebay for US$100 - ATI All-in-Wonder 2006: 256MB with Radeon 9600, TV Capture, and dual display.

Anyone use these? how does Doom3 run on them?

randyval

TRIBE Member
as long as its 9600pro or 9600xt it will run doom3 just fine(with limited settings).
your money could go towards a much better and newer card imo, a geforce 6600gt, or an ati x700 would be a better choice for the long run.
you can probably find them as cheap as $200cdn

now if your good with hardware modding the geforce 6200 can be modded to a 6600.
and an ati x800xl can be modded to x800 xt

Last edited:

randyval

TRIBE Member
sorry i didnt realize you already have it, that being said, unless your geforce fx card was a 5950/5900/5800, its an upgrade from what you had.
unfortunatly the 250mb ati cards use slower ram than the 128mb counterpart so there isnt much in the way of overclocking your ram (you can add 20-30mhz stable tops)
but your core speed can be overclocked quite a bit, depending on and up to over 100mhz increase.
when overclocked your card will run doom3 with decent up to full settings, you just wont be able to run AA or AF with it.

if you do this you might want to get a better heatsink/fan or even just a fan for the heatsink you have on it now

Last edited:

pseudonoise

TRIBE Member
wow, quite knowledgable!

This computer is becoming a server and then I will replace the desktop with something that supports PCI-E. So I think this will be sufficient for now, but I want to play D3 pretty soon so those mods you suggested will be perfect.

Thank you

tommysmalls

TRIBE Member
a laptop diversion...is there a big diff between nvidia 6600 128mb and radeon x700 256mb in terms of 3d rendering performance?

KodiaK

TRIBE Member
that card will run doom 3 just fine.

i had a 9500 pro (which is a tad faster than the 9600 pro, but lacked the dx9/shader stuff) and i ran doom 3 at medium settings 1024x768 (amd barton 3200)

i snagged an x800pro 256meg not too long ago off ati's clearance webpage and ive been damn happy about it... a lot better than the 9800 pro it replaced.

skin deep

TRIBE Member
When you're looking at a new card and you want silence, don't limit yourself to only passively cooled cards. You can buy a stock card with a noisy fan and add a silent cooling solution:

http://www.thermaltake.com/coolers/chipset/cl-g0003fanless/cl-g00003.htm

I put one of these on an x600xt and it's a tonne quieter than it was stock as well as a tonne cooler, took about 20 mins to install and was more than worth it considering I got the card for $40 on ebay and the cooler for another 40.

rod_g

TRIBE Member
And you may also want to start looking for benchmarks past Doom 3 when shopping for cards.

Don't get me wrong Doom 3 and Half Life 2 are still a good benchmark.

But with other games such as Battlefield 2 that stress the 2 gig RAM limit or F.E.A.R, these are the games of the FEWCHAR

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Stan
You may want to consider lowering that price, considering you can get a brand new one for about $199
nope.

a four month old graphics card is as good as a new one, with the added benefit of no tax..

i managed to trade a 6600GT for an X800XL a month ago, so i'll take my chances.. it's still an excellent card.

i'd rather have a spare card kickin' around than a hundred dollars. wouldn't be worth it.

randyval

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by docta seuss
nope.

a four month old graphics card is as good as a new one, with the added benefit of no tax..

i managed to trade a 6600GT for an X800XL a month ago, so i'll take my chances.. it's still an excellent card.

i'd rather have a spare card kickin' around than a hundred dollars. wouldn't be worth it.
fyi the x800xl flashes to x800xt, it unlocks the other 8 pipes.
you will need a cheap $25 pci vid card to do the flash.
incase anything goes wrong it can easly be flashed back.
just download the official ati x800xt bios its not hard to find.