• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Graphic Design in Toronto?

CLUSTER

TRIBE Member
I'm looking to get my damn career startedin Graphic Design.
London is just not the place to be for this, anybody work for a design agency/firm that may be able to direct me to the right person? I do check workoplis and all those sites on a regular basis....

Cheers,
Zigg'
www.djcluster.com <--my new site :D

Lainey

TRIBE Member
tell me about it, i finished school 2 years ago and i still look on a regular basis for a studio job but the industry is really hard to get into. if you set up some of your work on portfolios.com you my get some freelance work..

web designing has kept me busy over the last year but it doesn't interest me as a full-time career. there's definitely more demand in web media.

CLUSTER

TRIBE Member
Well seems were in pretty much the exact same boat.
Let put our minds together and start something for ourselves. Ultimetaly I'd like to work for myself. But yea, I will check out that porfolio website..

Cheers,
Zigg'
www.djcluster.com

Northernsoul

TRIBE Member
Ziggy, check out Elance.com for postings. There are no specific job listings for Toronto but it is a site for freelance artists to bid on projects. may keep you busy?

Hope all is well, PS, I was in London last week for a night with lou and Fella. Liz and I moved back East so I will be down every now and again.

Caz

TRIBE Member
hey Zig, just keep at it, man. Those who complain about no work in the industry are'nt trying hard enough. I have'nt had a day without work since graduating 2 years ago:D

you REALLY just have to be competitive.

CLUSTER

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Northernsoul
Ziggy, check out Elance.com for postings. There are no specific job listings for Toronto but it is a site for freelance artists to bid on projects. may keep you busy?

Hope all is well, PS, I was in London last week for a night with lou and Fella. Liz and I moved back East so I will be down every now and again.

I'm going to see Fella this weekend, will be giving him a shout after work today. You have any idea if Louis is still in town?
I miss that boy, has a heart of gold! ;)

Cheers,
Zigg's

Xtatic

TRIBE Member
I'm also a graphic designer based in London ...... it's not easy, that's for sure and there are definitely more job opportunities in TO, but there are jobs here in London. You just need to keep looking. I've had some interviews in the last little while myself.

CLUSTER

TRIBE Member
Yea, my flash skills only go so far! lol
Here's a website I made:
www.planetxfuncenter.com (flash)

my site I just redid:
www.djcluster.com (html)

and another site i made in flash that I deleted off my server and will be putting it back up shortly after I clean my server up.

I guess I'm more of a layout kinda person, logo design and general website work, not so much scripting etc

However always willing to learn more within my trade, but thats not gonna help you in this case! :D

Cheers,
Zigg's

Last edited:

TaCk OnE?

TRIBE Member
I got SUPER lucky after school...

a professor who I was cool with set me up with the studio manager at the place I'm at now...they said they weren't hireing but I said I'd like to just hang out and learn if that was cool with them, I'd work for free.

I ended up working for free for most of the summer, which sucked in one respect, the obvious one, but was hype cause they let me work on real projects so I learned a lot.

I told them I had to leave to find another place that was hiring, and they said they'd take me on as I knew the whole place and I was good enough, so I've been working here ever since on all kinds of wicked projects.

my advice to you is take ANYTHIGN you can and do it with modesty and all your effort and it'll pay off....there are a billion designers in toronto (I think we all know a bunch) and the thing that sets the ones with jobs apart from the ones that are looking is a) luck, but b) percerverience (sp?)

I couldn't be happier right now with my job, it's hype, and although I had to lick ass for a bit, it all worked out in the end.

I suggest you call up all the studios you're interested in and ask if somebody would be willing to look at your book...if there's any chance they'll let you intern then DO IT...

if you'd like I have a huge list of studios and contacts in those studios...remember they're busy so if they don't get back to you try again, if they don't return that call, move on.

pm me if you'd like the list....just gotta go out there and basically say that you're super keen and you're willing to learn what it takes, no matter what.

this is the studio I'm at now...

www.st-c.com

cheers

d.

Caz

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by that 420 guy
how's your flash skills? lookin for a designer with action scripting experience.

- that macromedia guy :cool:
ahem

*cough*2 years formal training*cough*