• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

grade 6 math teachers can't teach grade 6 math ?

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
The math curriculum has obviously changed a lot from when grade 6 teachers learned math. It's too bad that mathy types aren't more drawn to teaching and that people are scared of math.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Polymorph

TRIBE Member
Hey, don't worry. The Chinese and Koreans 've got it covered (They're ferocious about math over there).

Us North Americans can easily continue to slum it prioritizing low-level capitalism (corner stores), and trade-labour jobs on the oil sands

kuba

TRIBE Member
Here's an idea

Fire staff that don't produce results.

I know, it's crazy
fire a teacher that doesn't produce? that's a good one. maybe in fairy-tale land but not in the real world.

(would be nice, I agree with you)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

depraved

TRIBE Member
those who can, do
those who can't, teach
those who can't teach teach gym
those who can't teach gym become guidance counsellors

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
Here's an idea

Fire staff that don't produce results.

I know, it's crazy
you shut your mouth!!

teachers are under an incredible amount of pressure to make sure they dont let anyone fail!!
no matter how bad their grades are

Last edited:

lobo

TRIBE Member
If there's a different or more efficient way of teaching grade 6 math then I'm fine with sending teachers on new training courses. Kind of like us corporate folks getting training courses if some new technology comes about. Or if there is now a more efficient/better way of delivering the existing services <geek mode> Using service instances for metro ethernet networks vs old school vlan trunking </geek mode>

If it's because some teacher is just "having one of those days" and can't take the stress of showing up to work then it's a waste of resources. The comments at the site are pretty one sided. Hardly anyone on the side of the teachers.

Lobo

Ho||yw0oD

TRIBE Member
Firing teachers for poor scores is a failed approach. The threat of being fired for poor scores will likely result in more cheating the system and subsequently inflated scores. Please see No Child Left Behind (U.S.) for more info.

Teachers do need to be held accountable, and I think EQAO scores can be part but not all of the accountability equation.

I have never been a fan of using these summative forms of assessment to measure student achievement.

RumRogerz

TRIBE Member
Hey, don't worry. The Chinese and Koreans 've got it covered (They're ferocious about math over there).

Us North Americans can easily continue to slum it prioritizing low-level capitalism (corner stores), and trade-labour jobs on the oil sands
you forgot to mention the Germans

kyfe

TRIBE Member
I'd rather see teachers receive bonuses based on their students testing scores. base it on the overall average score and factor in a component for failure rate.

Teachers are motivated by money:eek:

NemIsis

TRIBE Member
you shut your mouth!!

teachers are under an incredible amount of pressure to make sure they dont let anyone fail!!
no matter how bad their grades are
That's more true than you know.

The comments at the site are pretty one sided. Hardly anyone on the side of the teachers.

Lobo
If that's true, I think it's because we are tired of reading these comments, and can't even be bothered to try and propose an alternate reason which will be ignored, because.. hey, as kyfe said, we're in it for the money. It's true. That's the only reason why I stay at the same school teaching 39 kids in a class of inner city students. As hard as it for some to believe, kyfe and bbj especially (both of whom seem to hold a special dislike for teachers), some of us do it because we love it.

Here's a link: EQAO: School, Board and Provincial Results

It's the link to EQAO results. Tap in Grades 3 and 6 at the top, and 2012-2013at the bottom. Download 'Highlights of The provincial Reports'. You may find them interesting. Did you notice that reading and writing have increased significantly over the last few years? While math results have fallen?

Let me explain. In the last few years, the board has placed an incredible amount of importance on literacy. I don't disagree. Teachers have divisional meetings (grade levels) four times a year for 'Pathways', setting up and sharing collective knowledge to encourage/promote literacy in the classroom and follow a plan with significant due dates to accomplish the tasks. I have to admit what we've done with the kids is amazing.

However, there is a problem. As teachers we've been saying (for years) that to accomplish these tasks takes much more time than we are allowed. We're told we have to do this and we do, but we then have to take time from somewhere else, and other subjects take a backseat. I taught pretty much everything except science and music, so I took time from drama/dance and history/geography. My kids hated that I took time from drama/dance, and I hated that I had to take time from history/geography. I didn't take time from Math because as a Grade 8 teacher I knew how prepared they needed to be.

Teachers who teach Literacy and Math are given two large chunks of time. Literacy is the largest and Math is second. If you have a deadline for these 'Pathways' what is your obvious choice to shave time from? Now, not all teachers are like me and can shave time off from other subjects. Some teachers don't teach Drama/Dance, or science, or Hist/Geog, or music, or phys.ed (Try taking that away from the kids).

Also, there is a huge change in personality from Grade 5 to 6 (I think most parents would understand this). Hormones kick in, and being good at Math is just geeky. I see this all of the time in middle school (especially going into Grades 7 & 8). Although, being in my class, geeks are welcome and appreciated. It's amazing how many non-geeks come in, and total geeks leave :p

Anyway, this is getting long. Many of my teacher friends and I have argued that the focus on literacy has affected numeracy (for years), and that this needs to change. Grade 6 teachers need a course? I think it's the bloody Board and the gov't that needs a course. I, for one, have every confidence in our Grade 6 teachers.

After you are done reading my rant. Go on that EQAO sit again and then punch in Grade 9. Please check the results for Math..

Last edited:

NemIsis

TRIBE Member
84% miraculously met standard in Grade 9?

Mayhaps these EQAO results are faulty, or there are really shitty teachers only in Grade 6 (Perhaps teachers should really stop teaching Grade 6) and Grade 7,8,9 teachers are bloody amazing. Really? Think about it.

Polymorph

TRIBE Member
to alternate-reality reiterate Nemesis comments............
The Chinese and the Koreans are absolutely ferorious about math
This is no small deal. Their entire futures and that of their children depend on it.
They don't slum it, like us do, like learning 2nd grade french or something..........
I mean....... HELLOOOOOOOO Samsung
Problem here is very Simpsons-like. Most of these kids just want to get by earning 13$ hour at a gas station, or an HnM clothing outlet at a shopping mall

earn their keep, white-trash Western style, etc

THe more high-end optics of Math is lost upon them, well, perhaps since most them (Apple) jobs went to China, Japan, Korea, and, fuck, even Pakistan....

Here.. gotta been a *homespun* and run a corner diner etc.........

In fact, most basic academic knowledge is basically worthless (undervalued), here.. Which, of course, is the great De-Motivator.

So just go work in construction or something. as a grunt. Eh.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
That's more true than you know.

If that's true, I think it's because we are tired of reading these comments, and can't even be bothered to try and propose an alternate reason which will be ignored, because.. hey, as kyfe said, we're in it for the money. It's true. That's the only reason why I stay at the same school teaching 39 kids in a class of inner city students. As hard as it for some to believe, kyfe and bbj especially (both of whom seem to hold a special dislike for teachers), some of us do it because we love it.
I'm not to sure where you get that I have a dislike for teachers? It's only you that I have a dislike for. I stand by my suggestion and FYI it never came with the caveat that you applied, everyone is motivated by money, you're kidding yourselves if you think you aren't nor are other teachers. If you're going to throw money at something I'd rather see a specific plan, not a plan that will lead to other ineligible teachers going what about me? and lets face it not all teachers are terrible at math.

Why not make it like every other job market on the planet and reward employees for their success. I used to get profit sharing in the private sector when we did well, I see nothing wrong with using money as a motivator to improve the system.

This plan does nothing but take teachers away from the classroom which IMO extends the issue you have illustrated of not having enough prep time or having to shift priorities to full the curriculum. I think the problem teachers like yourself have with my suggestion is the accountability aspect and poor teachers would be much more easily exposed.

Our education system need more funding but it needs to be allocated correctly otherwise it'll be more of the same.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Firing teachers for poor scores is a failed approach. The threat of being fired for poor scores will likely result in more cheating the system and subsequently inflated scores. Please see No Child Left Behind (U.S.) for more info.

Teachers do need to be held accountable, and I think EQAO scores can be part but not all of the accountability equation.

I have never been a fan of using these summative forms of assessment to measure student achievement.
<like>

praktik

TRIBE Member
I think what Asian countries have more than any particular method, is a set of parents that are committed to ensuring their kids learn and a lot of kids that WANT to learn. It's a culture of learning.

Aside from that there are things maybe we wouldn't want to import - I like that we have more non-STEM stuff in our mix and a more "freestyle" approach to learning whereas (and maybe I'm stereotyping?) Asian schools seem predicated on massive rote learning. Some of the pressure they put on their kids is insane, and I'm not sure the Tiger Mom model is all it's cracked up to be.