• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Government: 0 Opposition: 1

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
Well It's official, the Liberals have been defeated. There will be an election called for Jan 23rd and a Christmas campaign.

OTIS

TRIBE Member
I really think the conservatives will lose out on this. Adscam and the Gomery inquiry have been the only legs they've stood on for their whole existence. With the time they've been in government it's pretty disturbing that still no one has any idea what the hell they are about. I think once another minority Liberal government happens, the conservatives will actually have to develop a platform of policies and then the real cracks will show.

The inevitable:

Lurker

TRIBE Member
Wow, quite the speech from Martin.

Prime time slot with some good points made. Hopefully will steal some thunder.

Hopefully Harper gets pwned bigtime.

After that speech, the other parties are left to start the negative campaigning.

Sounded like that speech was well rehearsed for the last week or so too.

OTIS

TRIBE Member
All these follow-up speeches remind me of a Tony Robbins seminar. I'm listening to it on the radio picturing all these wax faced punch drinkers eating the corn out of the speakers' shit.

Lurker

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by OTIS
All these follow-up speeches remind me of a Tony Robbins seminar. I'm listening to it on the radio picturing all these wax faced punch drinkers eating the corn out of the speakers' shit.
hahahahha!!!!

nice photochop btw

smack

TRIBE Member
Its hilarious to see the rest of Canada flipping out with excitement over this while southern Ontario don't seem to give a fuck

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Lurker
hahahahha!!!!

At the same time skipping a poli-sci class to listen to the fall of government must create some sort of nerdy-assed paradox.

Gunark

TRIBE Member
did anyone watch question period today? what was all that business about improper investments on the liberals' side?

it sounded like the product of a countless focus group... expect this to be their running line? nerds on slashdot call this FUD: the Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt tactic

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Gunark
did anyone watch question period today? what was all that business about improper investments on the liberals' side?

it sounded like the product of a countless focus group... expect this to be their running line? nerds on slashdot call this FUD: the Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt tactic
are you referring to the opposition's insistence on an inquiry into the income trust/dividend tax overhaul unveiled last week?

deafplayer

TRIBE Member
What is a "countless focus group"?

It would be cool if you could get video of question period on the net

The transcripts are cool to read, too bad the discussion usually seems so rushed and forced...

junglisthead

TRIBE Member
hopefully, by watching america suffer, we have learned what the right wing does to a country

as america has once again become a shit hole due to right wing policies

religion based, military might, high debts, cut back on social services

god help us all if those bastards get in

id love to see a liberal majority

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Bass-Invader
are you referring to the opposition's insistence on an inquiry into the income trust/dividend tax overhaul unveiled last week?
Yeah I think he is. The whole insider-trading dealie.

Anyone know if the OSC is finally looking into this?

Deedee

TRIBE Member
I love they way the Consevatives strategically placed younger/female/ethnic party members behind Harper...*chuckles* Do they really think that is going to change the way Canadians see them??? Nice move!

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by OTIS
Yeah I think he is. The whole insider-trading dealie.

Anyone know if the OSC is finally looking into this?
They just submitted the request the other day. The OSC hasn't issued a response as of yet.

Gunark

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by deafplayer
What is a "countless focus group"?
heh i was debating fixing that, but decided that I'm too lazy and most of you will know exactly what i meant anyway :)

but just to clear it up for the implicitly-challenged, what i was lazily implying, is that it looks like the conservatives have decided that their most likely sticking point is the whole liberals-are-corrupt thing. This no doubt comes by means of overpaid political consultants, of whom both the Liberals and Conservatives retain many.

It's especially sad to watch the Conservatives pursue this, because they are once again way off the mark. Yes, people are sick of the Liberals and their corruption, but at the same time they are mostly satisfied with the impact this government has had on their lives (good economy, good job situation, relatively good everything, at least in Ontario--and lets face it, for the Conservatives it's only Ontario that counts). What those consultants ought to be telling Harper is that he needs to present a POSITIVE alternative to the Liberals' platform. Something Canadians (read: Ontarians) can believe in. As long as they (and more importantly, big business) is happy, the Liberals will not lose. Scandals will not bring this government down. That's already been all but proven.

(I'm pretty sure I already posted somethign almost exactly like this in another thread..... this is why I never post in this forum anymore. It's all one big deja vu).

Last edited:

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Bass-Invader
shit, what time??
NDP leader JACK LAYTON will be on campus this Wednesday, November 30, at 10:00 a.m. He will be making a campaign speech as a part of his election tour, in the DEBATES ROOM of HART HOUSE.

If interested, please meet around 9:30/9:45, and bring everybody you know. Moreover, muffins and coffee will be served, so it's win-win. This will also be the kick-off of the U of T NDP campus campaign, so if you'd like to get involved, there's no better way to start. Hope to see you all on Wednesday!!

Jeff Sweeting and Emily Shelton, U of T NDP Co-Chairs

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Sounds like a good opportunity to cause some anarchy. Let's create a list of useful questions for him. If we all go, and we all have the same list of questions, there's a better chance of getting in front of him with one of the questions. ;)