• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Gooooooooo MAGGOTS!

MoFo

TRIBE Member
My coworker and I are digging through the cupboards at work and we just found lots of maggots living in open packages of pasta and on the bottom of cookie tins.

Where do maggots come from? Did the come from the outside? Or do they already insist in foods and they just need to infest?

We were vacuuming them but the vacuum was emitting this really nasty chemical smell so we've stopped. What should we do with the maggots?
Do they have feelings?

sweet_e

TRIBE Member
they are the larval stage of flies. so if there were flies there before it would be no surprise that there are maggots.

and no they dont have feelings. Nothing that isnt human has feelings.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by sweet_e
they are the larval stage of flies. so if there were flies there before it would be no surprise that there are maggots.
Ah, so flies find a place to lay their eggs? And then the maggots go search for food? I just wonder what journey they took to actually get to an open package of pasta in a closed cupboard.

They are so disgusting, I'm gonna throw up.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I've eaten palm grubs before (in Zaire). They look like gigantic maggots when they are alive, but when they are sun dried and smoked they taste exactly like those hickory sticks you can buy at the corner store.

Go ahead, have a few mofo...

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Something to think about: When you see like 30 fruit flies flying around your bananas, they were maggots not too long before that.

The larvae are exactly the colour and consistency of bananas, so there is really no way of telling whether or not there are maggots in the bananas you eat. However, if there are fruit flies around, you can be pretty well guaranteed that you ate some extra protein in larval form when you had that banana snack. It probably put the banana into The Zone, so it's a good thing.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Here are some Zairois (Congolese) selling palm grubs fresh from the tree. They are the larvae of the rhinocerous beetle.

JayIsBored

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by PosTMOd
Something to think about: When you see like 30 fruit flies flying around your bananas, they were maggots not too long before that.

The larvae are exactly the colour and consistency of bananas, so there is really no way of telling whether or not there are maggots in the bananas you eat. However, if there are fruit flies around, you can be pretty well guaranteed that you ate some extra protein in larval form when you had that banana snack. It probably put the banana into The Zone, so it's a good thing.
Originally posted by PosTMOd 08-16-2002 12:25 PM
The truth about insects:

You eat probably a dozen or so in vegetables and fruits each year. Many arthropods are so small you can't see them easily.

About fruit flies: before they are flies, they are larva, which means that when you see them flying around your home, there are larva around; the larva are exactly the colour of the inside of a banana, so you probably have eaten hundreds of them.

No big deal.

get some new material banana boy!

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by PosTMOd

Well, I think flies are disgusting too because they puke on your food to break the surface down then they suck it back up.
Mmmmm....

And I don't bananas so I'm in the clear.

I've actually eaten dried worms before that looked like big maggots. They were good with pork and black bean.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Aren't there little worms scooching around our intestines right now?
I hope those maggots at work weren't from my asshole.

H2Whoa

TRIBE Member
maggots are nothing but rice infused with a kinetic agent

they also go by the term
'dancing rice'

try some

MoFo

TRIBE Member
There were brown ones! Those must be the healthier ones to eat.

When we were vacuuming, it so wasn't working. I was standing there with the hose while my coworker starts screaming... the maggots were all stuck to the opening of the hose unwilling to meet their dust-bag doom.

It was really disgusting how they were hanging on for dear life.

Searching for maggots on google, I found GOOFY POONTANG.com where girls put maggots on their.. well, you know.

Now I've seen it all.

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by JayIsBored
I don't have to, maggot-- I'm postmodern! With exclamation marks!!

Have you seen Requiiem for a High Colonic?

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by JayIsBored
I think 18 months makes it new. Oddly though, I remember writing that like it was yesterday, when all my troubles seemed so far away. Now it seems as if they're here to stay, oh I believe in yesterday.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

madnezz

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by MoFo
What should we do with the maggots?
Do they have feelings?
*LOL*

seriously though, that's a pretty gross problem. Never encountered maggots before i dont think....

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Totally. Me with the stinky chemically-smelly hose with maggots hanging on for dear life, my coworker holding a bag full of maggots and screaming while the industrial vacuum takes out both our eardrums..

I wonder if those maggots will just crawl back out of the vacuum.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories