1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Googles Street View - Cause for concern?

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by <FresHFunK>, Aug 10, 2010.

1. <FresHFunK>

<FresHFunK> TRIBE Member

I don't know about you but I am totally against Google Street view. I think it is a total invasion of privacy. I also think it could be used as a tool for criminal activity. apparently they are also collecting data from WI-FI connections as they go about there business. If they are using this info or not is still yet to be determined.

Google offices raided by South Korean police:

CBC News - Technology & Science - Google offices raided by South Korean police

Google Wi-Fi Data collection:

Official Google Blog: WiFi data collection: An update

How does that make you feel?

2. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

The Wifi thing aside.......Google Street View is not an invasion of privacy. It isn't 'live' and it is an image of your home/business taken from a public vantage point that is already accessible. Being paranoid about the images available on street view is a gigantic waste of time and energy. Go for a walk. Write a short story. Catalogue your Family Circus comic collection. I'm sure you could find a better use of your time.

3. <FresHFunK>

<FresHFunK> TRIBE Member

You forgot the most important way to spend your time, TRIBE it up!

I understand what your saying about the image being from a public point of view, but lets say I wanted to pull a BnE. I know the address of such residence. I could pull up the image of the house/office/business and make an elaborate plan on how to lets say get in, get out, get lost. I just think it is alittle bit much to have the whole world mapped out by a single source, free to the public.

I think my main point is, is why the hell would you be collecting all of the Wi-fi data within the area if you are just taking a 360 degree still shot of the city? What else are they up to?

4. sk8

sk8 TRIBE Member

I agree with Wiseman.

Anyone can drive down your street and see your house. That's all that's on street view.

5. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

6. lobo

lobo TRIBE Member

Everything you stated in that paragraph about BnE can be done the old fashioned way so there's no big difference.

One thing I read about the WiFi collection was that it ties into how they are able to give you a rough estimation of your location with Google Maps on your phone. Something about cell phone triangulation with wifi access nodes information and it can help pinpoint you down. Outside of Google, there are companies out there that provide and sell this kind of information.

Personally I love Google Street view. It's helped me pinpoint stores that I needed to visit in areas that I wasn't familiar with.

Lobo

7. erika

erika TRIBE Member

There was a lengthy thread on this when it first appeared; I'm too lazy to find the link.

8. Dialog

Dialog TRIBE Member

9. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

I read some big thing about the google wifi thing. i cant remember what any of it said tho. that is all.

I like google street view cause you can travel to other countries and drive down their streets on it and I think thats pretty cool.

10. Musical Rush

Musical Rush TRIBE Member

Helped me out, I was trying to think of this scrap yard in Whitby. On the street view map I drove right up to the sign and got the phone #. It took awhile to drive down the street, 1 click at a time but I got there.

I wonder if we can drive down the red light districts in Amsterdam?

we need street names. :)

11. Dialog

Dialog TRIBE Member

12. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

yes im well aware,its only a raid though, and charges would have to be filed, and a ruling from a judge before you can say anything will come of it.

mine was in reference to an actual ruling absolving google of any wrong doing.

[jai]

13. Musical Rush

Musical Rush TRIBE Member

Google should do a helicopter view. Taking shots of hot chicks sun bathing in the backyard.

14. DJ Vuvu Zela

DJ Vuvu Zela TRIBE Member

actually the ruling specifically said google was "wrong to collect the information", but they let them off the hook.

without knowing exactly what data was collected it's hard to say if that was the right decision. If it was just harvested off of unsecured networks then i don't think it was illegal, but it is a bit scumbagy.

15. Dialog

Dialog TRIBE Member

And you get an 'E' for effort! Mine was in response to Google's little blunder (that they claimed to be not aware of committing, despite having known enough about the software they'd written to, you know, patent it) having worldwide implications, and the very real possibility that other countries won't find them as innocent.

16. solacevip

solacevip TRIBE Promoter

My buddy and I were at work one day. We were talking about furniture or something. There is an elderly woman that we work with who knows internet basics. She logs on....reads the news.....checks her email. So one day the three of us engage in a conversation about furniture and my buddy swears that there is a furniture store on the danforth at a certain address. The woman we work with says, there is absolutely no furniture store there. She's Greek....she knows the area.....She claims my co-worker is wrong.

So on a whim, we decide to pull up the addy on google maps and go to street view to settle this once and for all.

She was absolutely right. There is no furniture store at that address......

......but I shit you not......who is walking down the street passing by that exact address......with her face blurred? The woman we work with.

We were dumbfounded. What are the chances? She thought we did a computer trick to make it happen.

Crazy yo.

17. I_bRAD

I_bRAD TRIBE Member

I've gotten phone numbers off of the front of stores that I knew what they did and where they were... but didn't remember the name.

Also very useful when house hunting!

Also also, it's amusing to play google vacation and pick some random spot in the world for a quick visit.