1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Google Voice Actions Controls Your Android Phone with Plain Speech

Discussion in 'Technology' started by glych t.anomaly, Aug 12, 2010.

1. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

Google Voice Actions Controls Your Android Phone with Plain Speech

Android 2.2: Google's taken its voice-to-text obsession even further with Voice Actions for Android. Rather than just searching or calling, you can send texts, pull up music or web pages and maps, or even set an alarm—all with your voice.

While you could previously fill out any text area in the Android 2.2 system (email, SMS, browser, etc.) with your voice, Google Voice Actions lets you actually initiate those apps with your voice. You can start a text message or email, address it, and fill it out with only one button click, and if you need a second to think, there's a button that lets you add to what you've previously said.

[​IMG]

If you don't know a business' number, you can just say the business name and location, and Android will look it up and confirm you want to dial. But one of the neatest functions we saw in the demo video was the voice-controlled music loading. Sure, other phones can pull up artists with a voice command, but Android can pull up those artists across multiple applications—Pandora, Spotify (for lucky European readers), your local Music, or elsewhere. Read up on more command possibilities at the Google Mobile Blog post.

Google Voice Actions is a free download for Android phones running Android 2.2 (Froyo). It will come built into the Droid 2 phone expected to launch this week from Verizon.

Just speak it: introducing Voice Actions for Android.

FUCK THIS SHIT OWNS ! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

amazing, my new favorite feature for Android.

i click one button, and say...

' Sent Text to [recipient] [message body] '

on screen appears the text template with the contact, and the message in it, and its so fast.

Chrome to Phone as well, i can click a button, and i have a page i was looking at instantly on my phone !

today is a good day to be a Android User.

[jai]

2. DJ Vuvu Zela

DJ Vuvu Zela TRIBE Member

google voice is such a great idea.

too bad it doesn't work in Canada.

3. glych t.anomaly

the above article outlines, how with your device, you can search anything, text someone, and it has nothing to do with Google Voice, the voice plan alternative.

and i agree, it is too bad, Google Voice, doesnt work in Canada, but for now, the above topic and resulting awesomeness is what has enthralled me now.

[jai]

edit - here are some of the functions, all done by voice command.

Features

Send text messages
    Say "send text to [recipient] [message]*"
    e.g. "send text to Allison Miller Running late. I will be home around 9"

Listen to music
    Say "listen to [artist/song/album]"
    e.g. "listen to the decemberists"

Get directions
    Say "navigate to [address/city/business name]"
    e.g. "navigate to the DeYoung Museum San Francisco" or "navigate to 1965 Page St."

Call businesses
    Say "call [business name] [location]*"
    e.g. "call Pizzeria Venti Mountain View"

Call contacts
    Say "call [contact name] [phone type]*"
    e.g. "call Allison Miller home"

Send email
    Say "send email to [recipient] [subject]* [body]*"
    e.g. "send email to Mike LeBeau How's life in New York treating you? The weather's beautiful here!"

View a map
    Say "map of [address/city]"
    e.g. "map of San Francisco"

Go to websites
    Say "go to [website]
    e.g. "go to Wikipedia"

Write a note
    Say "note to self [message]"
    e.g. "note to self grocery list banana milk eggs pizza"

Search Google
    Say "[your query]"
    e.g. "pictures of the golden gate bridge at sunset"

4. KodiaK

KodiaK TRIBE Member

i wish motorola would hurry the fuck up and release 2.2 for the milestone.

5. Aerius Zension

Aerius Zension TRIBE Member

Please tell me you didn't type out his voice commands? That seems so backwards.

Is it just me, or does anyone else want to punch the dude in the video in the face, with his know-it-all grin? I'm betting he's an actor.

I heard this being planned on the Nexus a few months ago, nice to see it come to fruition.

6. glych t.anomaly

Nah, i copied and pasted from this site ;)

Voice Actions for Android

the video is awful, and he is totally a twat, but the actual functionality of this is amazing.

[jai]

7. Photon

Photon TRIBE Member

I've been playing around with this on my Nexus and it works great for searching the web, music, calling people, navigation, but when I'm trying to send a text or email it puts the persons name in the message and leaves the To: blank. Anybody else have this problem?

8. glych t.anomaly

i had that problem the first time, but after that , it seems to work, although, if the person has a weird name, try first initial last name, maybe that might help.

[jai]