• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Google Hangouts

djfear

TRIBE Member
I hate it & it's shit.

You had one job, google... one job! In fact, all of your software should have one individual job, and you should be the best in your job.

All this google plus stuff is crap.

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
I'd love to know why I'm able to receive GIF's, but unable to send them (using a Note 3 on Rogers). It used to work great, now no more (works fine on BBM for Android, etc).

lobo

TRIBE Member
I hate it & it's shit.

You had one job, google... one job! In fact, all of your software should have one individual job, and you should be the best in your job.

All this google plus stuff is crap.
Can you elaborate more on why it's shit? I use it occasionally and it seems ok to me.

Lobo

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
To SP: Hangouts, and when I send the gifs they land at the recipient as a static image. Doesn't matter what size the gif is, either. Bugs the fuck outta me since it was all working fine until the end of March.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

djfear

TRIBE Member
Can you elaborate more on why it's shit? I use it occasionally and it seems ok to me.

Lobo
Sure.

Problem #1: Some of my contacts see me as invisible. I've logged into hangouts to try it out and then reverted back to the old chat (in gmail.com), but it's been a pain in the ass to try to fix it. The fix is not straight forward and has not been identified clearly when searching for it.

Problem #2: History. Hangouts doesn't respect your right to not keep any history and seems to over-ride certain settings. If I am chatting with someone "off the record" on gmail.com or a google talk, and then I log off, then a few hours later I turn on the google hang out app, I end up having the entire conversation and then some, and not just that one but so many of them. So it's over-riding the "off the record" and no history setting. I already had the conversation, I don't want to fucking see it again.

Problem #3: Lack of authentication on android. All anyone needs in order to view your chat is to just turn on your phone and automatically sign into your account and they'll see your chats, even ones that are off the record. I don't mind being signed on always for email, but I don't want that for chat. How do I make this happen?

Problem #4: Because google hang outs is connected to google plus, it's viewed as a "social networking site" by my employer, just like facebook, and it doesn't work. That's not "my problem" because of my employer's fascist IT policies, it's google's problem by having that service profiled into that category. So I want their chat to be separate and either part of gmail.com, or google talk - both of these legacy services worked very well for me.

So to sum it up, the privacy aspect sucks, the integration aspect doesn't work for me, and they have some glaring issues that are not easily resolved.

djfear

TRIBE Member
Software always seems to hit some sort of sweet spot, and then some asshole starts adding all this stuff to it that makes the product shit.

This is why VLC, Foobar2000 (and winamp before that), and the likes worked so well and have lasted so long. Simplicity.

p.s., I also hate iTunes. :p