• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Good Samaritan Returns Purse with $ 1 million in contents

Gizmo

TRIBE Member
Good Samaritan returns $1-million purse
Toronto family forgot it on a park bench while sightseeing in California

JUSTIN M. NORTON

Associated Press

San Francisco — John Suhrhoff found a Louis Vuitton bag on a Sausalito park bench.

Inside, police say, were a 12-carat diamond ring, pearl and emerald jewellery, a Cartier watch and roughly $500 in cash. The contents were worth $1-million.

But the respiratory therapist didn't think of heading to a pawn shop -- he took the bag to police Monday afternoon.

The bag is now en route to a Toronto family that had been in northern California for a wedding.

“Every person I know or associate with would have done the same thing,” Mr. Suhrhoff, 56, said Tuesday. “I'm glad to be able to help.”

The Canadian family told the Marin Independent Journal they were sightseeing Sunday in Sausalito, a tourist hub known for its waterfront views of San Francisco.

Shahla Ghannadian briefly left her husband in charge of the purse, which contained jewellery she wore at the wedding.

Ms. Ghannadian realized the bag was gone when she returned to her San Francisco hotel. The family went to police and didn't have any luck -- and were told chances were slim the bag would be returned.

“You have to be a real man to return that bag,” Ms. Ghannadian's son Ali told the paper. “Even the bag is expensive. We're really, really thankful to that guy.”

Sausalito police said Mr. Suhrhoff had thought the bag contained costume jewellery.

It was unclear whether the family offered him a reward.

kmac

TRIBE Member
Why would you being carrying that much around in an expensive (yet ugly) handbag in the first place? Honestly. It's like those people who go on cruise and wear every single piece of gold they own.

Gizmo

TRIBE Member
Mr. Ghannadian should be sending John Surhoff some serious compensation. Because he just bailed his ass out of a gargantuan dog house!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
fuck me.. good on him for returning that.. i think i would do the same.
they better gave him a serious reward. like 10 percent at least!

Michlerish

Well-Known TRIBEr
kmac said:
Why would you being carrying that much around in an expensive (yet ugly) handbag in the first place? Honestly. It's like those people who go on cruise and wear every single piece of gold they own.

she needed the jewellery for the wedding, and she probably felt it was safer to carry with her than leave in her hotel room.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Vincent Vega

TRIBE Member
So along with being stupid enough to lose all that stuff, they compound their stupidity by revealing their (rather uncommon) name in a newspaper..... which gets subsequently picked up in all sorts of other media outlets. Very, very wise.

judge wopner

TRIBE Member
Michlerish said:
she needed the jewellery for the wedding, and she probably felt it was safer to carry with her than leave in her hotel room.
fair enough, but who actually looses a bag worth 1 million?

if you can afford that much jewlery to carry around, you can afford a set of
alpha and bravo Navy Seal teams to watch over your shit.

i hope they gave this dude a nice reward.

deep

TRIBE Member
kmac said:
Sounds like they just came back from a wedding, and judging from the last name, such weddings are typically occasions where the bling is in full force . From what I recall of Marin County / Sausalito, an LV treat bag with goodies inside wouldn't have been that out of place anyways.

I think that walking around with a million on you only seems obscene when you don't have that first million in the first place.

Last edited:

IgStar

TRIBE Member
Shahla Ghannadian briefly left her husband in charge of the purse, which contained jewellery she wore at the wedding.

bah! I woulda been clutching that bag for dear life myself. hand it to my husband who loses sunglasses daily? as if.

idiot.

MissBlu

TRIBE Member
I love hearing about people in society returning things to their rightful owners, makes me smile.

Reminds me of a May 24 Weekend, I withdrew money from a bank machine, and forgot to take it with me. These two ladies behind me followed me and returned it all to me. I tried to provide them with a reward, and they refused to take it.
Sometimes people really are great!

KiFe

TRIBE Member
Gizmo said:
Shahla Ghannadian briefly left her husband in charge of the purse

I love how they made a point to mention this in the article. Which means that at some point, the owner of said purse decided it would be right to tell the reporter that her husband is a twit and couldn't hold on to a purse if a million dollars depended on it, humiliating him on a national level.

If you can walk around with a million bucks worth of purse, then losing it in sanfran probably isn't a very big deal. They could have simply driven back to san fran in their Bugatti Veyron, in order to pick up a new vutton bag.

Th fun of having a vutton bag is not in the bag itself, it's filling in it with millions of dollars.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

IgStar

TRIBE Member
the dude who found it was 56.

think if it was a posse of 16 or so dudes it woulda had the same outcome?

hrm.

anyways, yay for honesty.

Poot

TRIBE Member
12 motherfucking carats.

Cannot even comprehend.

Does not compute.

No wonder the guy thought it was costume jewellery.

Last edited: