• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Good part of Burnaby?

sheik rock

TRIBE Member
I have to move to Vancouver in March and most of my clients are in Burnaby, seeing how much cheaper it is there I think that is where I'll get a place.

Question is: where are the good parts of Burnaby to live? I don't want to get stuck in a ghetto (ethnic or otherwise) and I want to be in a reasonably nice part of town.

Any suggestions?

dj_soo

TRIBE Member
there are no real "ghettos" in burnaby, but depending on how quiet you want it, north burnaby is a nice location. If you don't want to be near the more urban areas, stay away from kingsway and hastings as those are major road/traffic arteries/shopping zones. South burnaby is nice too but you get planes flying over all the time.

thom100

TRIBE Member
I have a lot of family living in Burnaby, and Richmond (if you're not too concerned about living dowtown, you may want to look into Steveston it is a really nice part of Richmond away from the hustle, an old Japanese fishing village).
My only really advice with Burnaby is to stay away from Metrotown area. If you need better info I can send an email to my cousin and get some more recent news for you.

dj_soo

TRIBE Member
sheik rock said:
Thanks.

How is the area around Simon Fraser and Metrotown?
metrotown is probably going to be the most "urban" part of burnaby if you consider a giant mall in a quasi-suburb "urban."

Nice access to downtown and probably where a lot of the newer condo/apts are. Probably one the busiest parts of Burnaby (main commuting artery goes through this part too). The surrounding neighbourhoods seem nice tho.

Simon Fraser itself is on top of a mountain so it's not really a living "area" but the areas surrounding are mainly middle-class to upper-class houses. Depends on where tho as it's a pretty big mountain :).

erikwh

TRIBE Member
metrotown is probably going to be the most "urban" part of burnaby if you consider a giant mall in a quasi-suburb "urban."
bahahah well said. Kingsway (the arterial road in front of metrotown) is getting pretty bad for congestion since the new highgate (sic) mall went in. I'd consider areas along lougheed hwy (although that section is pretty bad too) and the north arm of the skytrain line - easy access to transit and roadways and you might get better value up there.

SFU is a dystopian no man's land full of zombie-nerds; better to avoid that place.

Mt. Pleasant/Main St/Commercial Dr. are all areas which are still affordable and are slowly getting gentrified (think parkdale) and is still somewhat close to Burnaby - worth checking out.

sheik rock

TRIBE Member
Thanks for the replies. My two main clients have offices on Kingsway, one of them at boundary and Kingsway. Though I don't have to live walking distance or anything.

I think I'm going to fly out in February and find a place ahead of time.

dj_soo

TRIBE Member
you definately might consider a place in east vancouver too. Boundary is the street that separates east van from burnaby.